Latest Wi-Fi options

Lotuscamper

H&S Manager
T6 Pro
I have yet to take delivery of my T6 but after watching some u tubers on their van Wi-Fi options I wonder was is the latest opinions on improving the WiFi ?
I am going to have solar installed soon after delivery and am thinking whilst the holes are being drilled could the WiFi antennae be done at same time by using the same hole for cables etc ?
I looked at search but these were dated around two years and I guess things change and items may not be available or superseded ?

Do you mean WiFi antenna (which are short range and connect your router to your devices) or the 4G/5G antenna that are longer range and connect your router to the mobile network?

If you're improving the WiFi does it already have anything fitted?

@Eli had a nice setup I saw at Busfest last week.

Didn't take any pics,

Maybe he can drop some here?

Not a great deal to see as it’s just the puck on the roof and a dual SIM card box
IMG_4741.jpeg
But here’s the link to what it is

Thanks for the above link yes I am a novice to this but I guess given where we would be travelling our EE signal maybe not great to tether to our MacBook ? So I was thinking will a router and antennae set up be of efficient method to get better WiFi as needing internet for most things nowadays is the essential ?
I assume it’s feasible to use the same hole for solar as for antennae as hate the thought of holes in the roof

This was my diy, not so commercial approach.

What you want is better 4G, not better WiFi.

Not just technical pedantry, you'll find a lot more products and advice if you search for the right kind of radio and antennas.

Fitted stuff is great if you are regularly near fringe reception. That's because fitted antenna are allowed to use higher power than phone antenna because it's not next to your body. However it's quite the investment.

If you have a phone that will do WiFi hotspot to share it's mobile connection that can work very well, you just have to remember you're in a big metal box and use a screen mount to mount it on a window with the best signal and to feed it power. I do this in the van and the narrowboat using my slightly older phone.

If you go fully fitted you will need in general two devices. A MIMO 4G antenna that is fitted outside the van body, this will have two antenna cable tails. Then you will have a router inside the van body that connects to those tails and also has WiFi antenna for your devices to connect to as well as things like the SIM card.

When you consider where the two devices mount keep in mind that radio frequency coax like the antenna tails is both a bit more delicate and doesn't like bends compared with normal 12v/240v flex cable, it's very easy to lose your signal with a sharp bend.

The Avtex is dual DIM and alternates between the two depending on which has the best signal. I have unlimited data on EE for my phone, the wife I has the same on Vodafone and the Avtex has 3 & 02 so we can cover 4 networks:thumbsup:

The Avtex is dual DIM and alternates between the two depending on which has the best signal. I have unlimited data on EE for my phone, the wife I has the same on Vodafone and the Avtex has 3 & 02 so we can cover 4 networks:thumbsup:
In the van we tend to have MrsRs on O2 backhaul, mine on EE backhaul and work's on Vodafone backhaul for similar reasons!

The 4G/LTE that is built into the 6.1 appears to be cross network and technically isn't bad at all - just the data plans are very steep. Ironically I think if they were not more people would use them. The only niggle is that it won't bridge the data connection to the device connected via WiFi on Android Autom

I would assume laws of physics apply that a metal body would block signal to a device so a roof mounted antennae would always prevail in long run ?

In the van we tend to have MrsRs on O2 backhaul, mine on EE backhaul and work's on Vodafone backhaul for similar reasons!

The 4G/LTE that is built into the 6.1 appears to be cross network and technically isn't bad at all - just the data plans are very steep. Ironically I think if they were not more people would use them. The only niggle is that it won't bridge the data connection to the device connected via WiFi on Android Autom
Apologies for the post resurrection.

Have you found a way to connect to the (I assume there is one) 4G/LTE aerial that is on the T6.1..? I'm thinking if there is already an external aerial then I might try and connect to it..? I guess its plugged into the Discover Media system for the WeConnect functionality, but would be handy if I could piggy-back on the physical aerial to use with a 4G Router.

Apologies for the post resurrection.

Have you found a way to connect to the (I assume there is one) 4G/LTE aerial that is on the T6.1..? I'm thinking if there is already an external aerial then I might try and connect to it..? I guess its plugged into the Discover Media system for the WeConnect functionality, but would be handy if I could piggy-back on the physical aerial to use with a 4G Router.

Both LTE antenna are plugged into the communication module. That supports the emergency call system and the background firmware/navigation update so it's probably best left alone.

You can't generally share antenna on radios that broadcast as having one transceiver broadcast as another is recieving will likely terminally damage the recieving one - the output power is considerably stronger than the received power.

Back