Whirring Noise From The Turbo

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
As of yesterday there is a strange whirring noise from the turbo, it does this when stationery and also when driving. I'm fairly sure it did not sound like this until yesterday. Also when stationery I have noticed the engine will only rev up to 2,500 rpm, unfortunately I can't remember if it went higher before ?
have I got a faulty turbo ?

Its probably a noisy belt tensioner bearing.

And 2.5k max revs when stationary is normal.

Its probably a noisy belt tensioner bearing.

And 2.5k max revs when stationary is normal.
Unfortunately due to covid-19 I've not booked my van in, I've not been driving it though as im working from home.
If you were me would you take it to a VW van centre as they would diagnose the problem quickly (hopefully) , or take my van to our local independent garage ?

I'd take it to VW if it is still in warranty period.

There are options though.

VW Assist is available and will come to your home.

Or you can book the van in to have it looked at. At the van centre.

I had my second service done last week. It took some emailing to the VW covid email or website. but they called me back and booked me in for the following week.

There open, but at limited capacity, so call/email and get a slot.

If it's just for an observeration on what the issue is, then any local indy may be able to advise.

I'd take it to VW if it is still in warranty period.

There are options though.

VW Assist is available and will come to your home.

Or you can book the van in to have it looked at. At the van centre.

I had my second service done last week. It took some emailing to the VW covid email or website. but they called me back and booked me in for the following week.

There open, but at limited capacity, so call/email and get a slot.

If it's just for an observeration on what the issue is, then any local indy may be able to advise.
Im out of warranty now, i'll call to the local garage and see what he makes of it, cheers

Unfortunately due to covid-19 I've not booked my van in, I've not been driving it though as im working from home.
If you were me would you take it to a VW van centre as they would diagnose the problem quickly (hopefully) , or take my van to our local independent garage ?
Any chance for you to record short video to actually hear the noise?
And posting it here?

Can you post it on YouTube and share the link here?

Or a google drive shared folder?

In google drive I created a new folder.

Then put a file in it.

Then shared the folder.

Then changed the permission to public/viewer.

sorry for my late reply, your link does work but when I try to do that I cannot see how to make that folder available for everyone ? it just says share by email or groups ?
. I tried many times to upload the mp3 using my mobile and it would not work, I've tried on my pc just now and it uploaded the .mp3 straight away ? very strange

Attachments

• Copy of Voice 001.mp3
    993.7 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: mmi
Back