Which wheels and tyres should I buy [merge]

Morning everyone.
new on here and looking for advise on replacement alloys for my new T6 Kombi T32.
Thought someone could post some pics and maybe advise on which diameter to go for.
I have already lowered with Eibach springs 40mm.

The general opinion for wheel upgrades is to go in the range of 18"-20" which end of the sizing largely depends on how much comfort you want to compromise or how bad the roads are where you typically drive. 18s = more sidewall thus more comfort and less likely to damage wheels on bad roads. 20" looks great, less sidewall so less comfort and will damage more easily. 19's are obviously a compromise.

Here we go!

Well I’ve read I think 90% of the posts in this section and still need someone to put me on the straight and narrow! All my vehicles to date I have kept standard bar a few comfort tweeks like lights etc but new front tyres needed now ASAP so thinking I may treat myself to 4 new wheels and tyres! Been working pretty much 7 days a week for last year and a half so feel a treat coming on. Really like the Devonports but the arch gap frustrates me.

Van is 2017 4motion Kombi DSG (deep black) currently on 17” devonports - need to replace two front tyres (Conti Van 200s which have worn very well).

Van spends a bit of time on the gravel tracks of Salisbury Plain and a few months of the year in the Alps - if things get really bad I am ‘lucky’ enough to have a Defender too so don’t need to go too over the top with new wheels and tyre choice. However my thoughts are -

- really like the Nokian Weatherproof tyre and threads on here tell me they’ll be sufficient with the 4motion for the snow (I realise out and out snow tyres would be the best choice.)
- obviously the narrower the better for tyre size in the snow or can I upsize the tyre size?
- don’t really want to lower it as need clearance for our driveway but if I were to go with an 18” wheel would I fill the arch gap more but the van then sit even higher?!
- don’t want to interfere with gearing etc etc too much.
- just keep the Devoports and get four new Nokian or similar tyres!

Essentially have narrowed down my wheel choice in Matt black to the OZ rally racing van (Alloy Wheels - Rally Racing VAN - OZ Racing) or the 8x18 Wolfrace Explorer Explore Matt Black Alloy Wheels Volkswagen T6 Transporter 2016 On, Alloy Wheels and Tyres Packages Supplier, Alloys, Wheels, Car Alloys. Wolfrace Alloy Wheels. Wolfrace Eurosport. Wolfrace Explorer. Alutec. ATS. Carre.

- advice on suppliers, need for spacers and the correct size tyre / wheel combo size most welcome!

Alongside this I am planning on the following changes -

- addition of black roof rails which means I’ll have to change the trapezoid side bars which are currently chrome to black - OCD dictates this! They are in pretty good nick so would sell them on here if anyone interested along with the part worn rear conti van 200s.

Sorry for this post but for some reason I find the whole tyre and wheel thing mind boggling - give me a few hours detailing the van over this any day!

Thanks in advance and if I’m miles off the mark tell me too!
Churchy

Changing the wheel size won't change the arch gap. When you go up an inch in wheel size you go down a profile in tyres, the aim is to keep as near to the original circumference as possible to avoid errors in your speedo. If you want rid of the arch gap then you need to lower it. :thumbsup:

hi mate liked my goodyear cargo vectors good tyre all year round just about to swap for cross climates good reviews had nokians on last winter never got stuck in Oldham high up+ hilly punctured one hence new cross climates nokians for sale on here as are some spacers like steels in winter and alloys for rest of year :thumbsup:

I'm looking to replace the standard 205/65/16 highline wheels and tyres on my van, but the choice is vast and considerations on how the choice might affect the handling is mind boggling!
My current choice is:
TOMAHAWK OUTLAW DEAD MATTE BLACK 8J 17" (Tomahawk Outlaw Dead Matte Black 8J 17 Alloy Wheels - VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle)
With probably an SUV type tyre such as Toyo Proxes CF2 225/65R17 102H
My van is a T6 highline T30 which has recently been converted to a camper and is mostly used for weekends away and day trips (not a daily drive). Suspension is standard (as far as I know), so I'm after a wheel and tyre which (in my opinion) look nice and will get me to the campsite, over the speed bumps and off the wet grass in the morning.

So in short, I'm asking if this would be a suitable choice/setup?
And would this count as a modification that I should inform my insurance company about (A Plan)?

I'm aware that i'll be increasing the rolling diameter and the speedo will under-read (by about 7%) and the sidewall will be bigger giving a bit more cushioning from the road but perhaps making the handling feel a bit vague (its a van).
I've looked through so much info on wheels and tyres (most of the good stuff I found on this forum) but I think it's starting to drive me mad! I just need to know if this would work or that there is a fatal floor in my logic...

Well they’ve been on a few months now and have to say I love’em! Not updated yet as wanted to give me and them time to bed in!!!!

Wolfrace Explorer 18” paired with 235/55/18 Nokian Weatherproof. Cant post photos yet as the van is embarrassingly filthy so will do if anyone wants a look when I give it the Autoglym treatment this weekend.

Thanks for all advice received before I took the plunge!

Hi @Churchy! Good move reading up before posing query! Wheel decisions are a very difficult and personal choice. It’s good to treat yourself occasionally. Are you going to use the old wheels as “winters”?

Yes - but sometimes I do too much reading!

Nope I’m a little short for storage of the old wheels so there’ll be a set of devonports (in vvv good condition) up for sale with tyres (contivan 200s - two good for a few hundred miles, two good for a few thousand miles), wheel bolts and locking wheel nuts & centre caps once I get clearance from paypal and upgrade my membership here to be able to do an advert!

Hi Sandy, nice looking wheels, a great website to check if tyres / wheels are suited to each other and changes in rolling circumference is

You seem to have all the load ratings covered adding 7% will make the gearing feel sluggish on pull away compared to 16" rims. I also drive a camper and was never really bother about pulling away fast at the lights as it spills my Tea.

Best of luck and post some pics when purchased and fitted.

Hi Sandy, nice looking wheels, a great website to check if tyres / wheels are suited to each other and changes in rolling circumference is

You seem to have all the load ratings covered adding 7% will make the gearing feel sluggish on pull away compared to 16" rims. I also drive a camper and was never really bother about pulling away fast at the lights as it spills my Tea.

Best of luck and post some pics when purchased and fitted.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and providing the info @$immo, it's appreciated. I hadn't considered the gearing before, but I have a DSG and 1st seems really low anyway. Maybe its the current tyres or the weight distribution, but I find it very easy to spin the wheels if I'm trying to make 'good progress' away from a junction (without spilling any tea, of course).

Thanks for taking the time to reply and providing the info @$immo, it's appreciated. I hadn't considered the gearing before, but I have a DSG and 1st seems really low anyway. Maybe its the current tyres or the weight distribution, but I find it very easy to spin the wheels if I'm trying to make 'good progress' away from a junction (without spilling any tea, of course).
I actually found mine smoother and more refined when I slightly increased the rolling circumference of my wheels. Just watch that the Speedo isn't too out. When I run a Sat-Nav mine now shows the exact same speed on the GPS Sat-Nav as the Speedo now.
I run a 19" wheel but with lower profile tyres 245/45/19. Tyres and wheels are so complicated, there is loads of info on this forum though, use the search facility, I normally find what ever the problem, someone has had it before and found a solution. :thumbsup:

Yep, all looks good to me, 102 load rating is fine; your 35mmET, will give you around 15mm more extension (poke) per wheel on your axel width, which will greatly increase the stance of your van
the 225/65/17 will lift your van /fill your arches by about 25mm, and as you say up your gearing by about 7% (do you have plenty of engine grunt? if not consider a remap)

Tomorrow I'm ordering a set of these 225/65/17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+ about £95each

1607980091559.png

Back