Which options to choose for camper conversion

Turniphead

hi

I am ordering a new Kombi on Monday and am wondering what options I should spec on the basis I want to convert it to a camper at some point. Any advice please? So far I have a load of options including comfort dash and the auxiliary and parking heater, swivel seats, but not led lights although they seem highly rated on this forum. Is double glazing worth it as well or the upgraded entertainment options? There isn’t much description on the vow website and using the live chat is a joke!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Ian

Hello and welcome!

Not sure which base spec you are considering but I'd definitely go for a Highline (though the "Edition" looks quite tempting) T30 or T32. I would look at petrol but would probably still buy a diesel as the limited reviews suggest that the petrols are a bit underpowered when loaded (as a camper you will be permanently running around in something fully loaded). For me, it would also have to be a DSG.

The combination of options are virtually limitless but for a camper, some of the things I'd consider are:-

4 Motion to assist with getting on/off muddy campsites.

If double glazing is a viable option then I'd definitely consider - it will help no end with heat retention and cutting down on condensation (comes as standard on Californias I believe),

A second battery.

Power latching sliding doors - nothing worse than trying to be quiet on a camp site and taking 3 or 4 attempts to properly close the door at 2am.

Depending on how soon you intend on getting a conversion and/or whether it's going to be DIY or professional job it might be worth talking to a few convertors before you order as some prefer the blank canvas of a panel van rather than a Kombi and things like whether to go with the OEM second battery or something else might also be pertinent.

Good luck and let us know what you order.

thanks for your help, I am told there is a price increase on Tuesday so I need to order by Monday unfortunately. I am going for the higline dsg 4motion with a lot of options, although I am wondering if I could get things like the parking heater as a cheaper aftermarket option and the swivel seats for that matter! I am likely to get the conversion done professionally so will try and call someone first thing Monday!
Cheers

You will get the parking heater cheaper if you do it afterwards but the factory fit is so much tidier and you get a leisure battery under the passenger seat. I don't think the swivels were much more than say a pair of sportcraft swivels, you do loose the height adjustment on the seat though, but I can't say I ever used it. Oh, and definitely have power latching on the side doors :thumbsup:

It's also more than I'm able to spend now for the foreseeable future lol

Spent WAY too much on stuff since getting this van!

Back