Where to Start

Ex squaddy

VIP Member
Hi Newbie here so bear with me. managed to get my hands on a 6.1 panel van that I’ll have in a week or two intend to do a fair bit myself but will leave cutting to the professionals. So question is logically seems poptop and windows will be right place to start. Unless someone can tell me I’m missing something?

Any advice appreciated thanks in advance

Hi Newbie here so bear with me. managed to get my hands on a 6.1 panel van that I’ll have in a week or two intend to do a fair bit myself but will leave cutting to the professionals. So question is logically seems poptop and windows will be right place to start. Unless someone can tell me I’m missing something?

Any advice appreciated thanks in advance
Morning mate. Welcome along.

Get your roof booked in now, otherwise you’ll decide on one and then realise that the fitter has a six month lead time.
Removing the bulkhead yourself is straight forward enough.
Depending on how many bums on seats you’ll have, consider whether you’ll need a double or single passenger seat.
Labour-wise - and the fact you’ll know it’s been done to a decent standard - I would sound-deaden and insulate the van now.
You’ll want a nibbler for the windows, so if you don’t have the tools then you may end up leaving that for the pro’s.
Laying cable - some in conduit - would be wise at this stage; just draw out what you want and where you want it, and add a couple of extra feeds for when you realise you want an extra 12v socket here or there (I didn’t think I’d want solar, but now my conversion is done, wish I’d paid cable for it). This includes things like dash-cams, additional ceiling lights, ambient lighting.
Flooring goes hand in hand with both wiring and installing seats / floor rails so try and tie those jobs down so you’re not constantly removing the floor.
Consider a seat on rails for ultimate versatility.
Go for a one-piece ply sheet for the floor, unless you’re a very good joiner.
Don’t lower it until it is all fitted out, unless you enjoy adjusting coilovers.

There’s loads more but I’ve just woken up and I have a hangover. Good luck. To both of us.

Get your roof booked in now, otherwise you’ll decide on one and then realise that the fitter has a six month lead time.
Depending on how many bums on seats you’ll have, consider whether you’ll need a double or single passenger seat.
Labour-wise - and the fact you’ll know it’s been done to a decent standard - I would sound-deaden and insulate the van now.
You’ll want a nibbler for the windows, so if you don’t have the tools then you may end up leaving that for the pro’s.
Laying cable - some in conduit - would be wise at this stage; just draw out what you want and where you want it, and add a couple of extra feeds for when you realise you want an extra 12v socket here or there (I didn’t think I’d want solar, but now my conversion is done, wish I’d paid cable for it). This includes things like dash-cams, additional ceiling lights, ambient lighting.
Flooring goes hand in hand with both wiring and installing seats / floor rails so try and tie those jobs down so you’re not constantly removing the floor.
Don’t lower it until it is all fitted out, unless you enjoy adjusting coilovers.

There’s loads more but I’ve just woken up and I have a hangover. Good luck. To both of us.
What a concise summary of good advice to a newbie! And all through the fog of a hangover!!! Well done @Ads_Essex

Many thanks. Test drove a few and have gone for single passenger seat her indoors found it more comfortable and we have been having the debate around floor rails shes arguing against at the moment but I think they are a must. As per username I spent 20+ years living out of back of Land Rover all over the world so it will be balancing what I need and comfort for the boss. We have had a Caravan for 20 + years but this is prepping for retirement and will tow a motorbike on those long trips. Hair of the dog yet?

Many thanks. Test drove a few and have gone for single passenger seat her indoors found it more comfortable and we have been having the debate around floor rails shes arguing against at the moment but I think they are a must. As per username I spent 20+ years living out of back of Land Rover all over the world so it will be balancing what I need and comfort for the boss. We have had a Caravan for 20 + years but this is prepping for retirement and will tow a motorbike on those long trips. Hair of the dog yet?
Haha. I’m working tonight so no alcohol for me. Although the scents of brake cleaner and ceramic coating seems to be helping me today..

Coming from a caravan, you / her will find the downsizing a bit of a struggle.. but a fair few here have managed it.

A909FBBE-9659-4CCA-A5F2-A853ACED1F84.jpeg
We chose not to downsize, but we have young kids and two dogs. I would argue the floor rails give the most versatility

It would be wise to agree with your wife.... ;)

The rails have pros and cons...

Handy to slide the rear seats backwards or forwards to create a larger space... so versatile...

But the rail system can stick as bits get down in there over time, and on some types of sliders passengers can only travel in one position... also not all have the space for a portaloo to fit underneath... It means raising the floor, losing more headroom etc etc... some things that may or may not be important for your intended use...

It's a minefield, so research, research, research.... and then listen to the wife... :rolleyes:

It would be wise to agree with your wife.... ;)

The rails have pros and cons...

Handy to slide the rear seats backwards or forwards to create a larger space... so versatile...

But the rail system can stick as bits get down in there over time, and on some types of sliders passengers can only travel in one position... also not all have the space for a portaloo to fit underneath... It means raising the floor, losing more headroom etc etc... some things that may or may not be important for your intended use...

It's a minefield, so research, research, research.... and then listen to the wife... :rolleyes:
I must agree....after all the research and differing opinions voiced....do what Mrs Squady says!

I can’t think of any disadvantages of rails other than the initial cost, after the Wallas XC Duo it’s my second best decision.
If you are worried about a few centimetres lost head room in a VW Transporter you might want to consider a full blown motorhome.

We (she) went with rails and I have not really acknowledged to her what a great decision she made...ill keep that in the bag for a later date...but the Reimo 3000 Variotech system seems superb with its multi locking position etc etc....if your budget will stretch that far definitely worth a thought, I suppose thats one thing you really need to weigh up at the outset.
One of the only good things to come out of all these lockdowns is you may get time to do more research than you normally would....although doesn't necessarily help the bank balance!
Good luck! :)

Back