Where The Hell Is Everyone Going?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
February half term is when my Motorhome comes out of hibernation after the winter. We normally go in the UK for a week as a bit of a shakedown to make sure everything is ok with the MH in preparation for the year of touring. This year we decided to just go straight into Europe as we had one of our frequent traveller tickets for the tunnel left before it expires.
One thing I quickly ascertained is that France is pretty much closed down until April, so we ended up booking a site in Amsterdam, but after a customer told me a horror story about the site we'd booked, I cancelled it and now booked Natter-See in Innsbruck, Austria. A site we've used twice already.

Anyway, what I've found is crossings are extremely limited due to being fully booked. The same goes for our usual Kent sites we use before early crossings, they are all full.
Where on earth is everyone going? I'm guessing a lot are off Skiing, but just wondered if anyone else knew where the mass exodus from the UK into Europe are actually going.

Isn't now the most popular time for motorhomes to head south chasing the sun? Noticed the storage compound I leave our van in suddenly has lots of empty spaces?

What was the horror story and which site in Amsterdam ??

I don't really want to name the site on here, but he said they went last year and several vans got broken into and robbed. He said there wasn't really any security stopping people walking onto the site from the maze of alleyways and canal paths.
I just didn't fancy the worry every time we went out for the day.

Isn't now the most popular time for motorhomes to head south chasing the sun? Noticed the storage compound I leave our van in suddenly has lots of empty spaces?

Not as far as I know. Next month onwards is when our work goes nuts.

I've never been into Europe in February, we normally go April onwards.

I'm heading to Delamere Forest for a few nights with the kids to do some mountain biking. It looks like it will be a little wet but getting muddy is part of the fun.

I can’t find anywhere in the uk that isn’t on half term next week - most I guess are heading to the alps

Back