Cornwall In February.

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I'm just in the process of booking some of our holidays, and my wife insists on Cornwall for the February half term, against where we'd normally go in France. I'm a big fan of Padstow, and worked on the Padstow Touring park a couple of times where I vowed to stay there at some point.
Before I make the booking, it seems from some reviews that a lot of Cornwall restaurants, coffee shops, seafood outlets etc, are closed this time of year.

Having never done Cornwall at this time of year, is this the case of most of the Cornish coastal locations.

We ventured into the South of France in October, and pretty much everything was shut in the town we stayed, and we ended up leaving after 2 days. I don't really want a repeat of that holiday.

I do t think stuff shuts in Cornwall dose it? I to am booking lots for this year as we speak, very exciting!! :waving::waving:

Just got back from 10 day tour of Cornwall (will be doing a write up) we survived Ciara and Dennis and had a great time, also learnt a lot about winter vanning in rough weather. We found most cafes, pubs and restaurants to be open and enjoyed some excellent hospitality - caravan/campervan parks were available after some thorough checking but be aware this is when they do their maintenance and refurbs ahead of the season so we found one or two site had rreduced wash room/laundry facilities which given the recurrent soakings we endured during the storms was not over helpful - still we had a great time and survived a little wiser and more in love with our van than before.

I didn't think so either, but you never know with coastal holiday towns.

As a Cornishman I’m sad to say that we have villages with streets full of holiday cottages, great for those who want a holiday but sh!t for locals who can’t afford to live here anymore. It isn’t great for the economy either as many fill up there cars with a supermarket shop before they arrive.

DXX have to agree with you - we find this in Scotland, Yorkshire, The Lakes etc. it is a sad fact and as you say displaces locals (particularly the next generations coming through!) we always invest in the local economy, shops, pubs and local crafts etc. and go out of our way to discover the local places and I totally believe in spending my money in the local shops so the money is reinvested into the local economy - I do this with work too and always employ local labour to deliver projects wherever I am working in the UK - it is the only way we can save some of our unique and special places, but we all need to support this ethos or we will lose these unique places and local customs.

Just make sure you have a pasty from Chough Bakery in Padstow , that will improve your holiday by about 900% !

Just make sure you have a pasty from Chough Bakery in Padstow , that will improve your holiday by about 900% !

Hard to find meat in a pasty after 01 April, so easy to rip off the Emmets with the spud and onion version!

Another big cheer for the pasties from Chough. We usually bring a box of them home for the freezer and they reheat very well. While I’m at it, those Philps ones aren’t bad either and nor are those from Anne’s at The Lizard. Before anyone suggests it, I’m already seeing someone about my pastie problem!

I'll add Pengenna to my list of Cornish dealers for the next time I'm down there.

but be aware this is when they do their maintenance and refurbs ahead of the season so we found one or two site had rreduced wash room/laundry facilities which given the recurrent soakings we endured during the storms was not over helpful - still we had a great time and survived a little wiser and more in love with our van than before.

It's the same in Europe.
We were in France, Germany and Austria last week in the Motorhome and found every site we visited to be having maintenance. In fact the site we stayed at near Baden-Baden called Camping Adam was desolate, with a note on the reception door saying 'Feel free to find a pitch and pay tomorrow' thankfully we were only there as a stop over because all the water was switched off, although the hookups were still on.
The site in Innsbruck, Austria was only half open, but still busy.

Winter touring can be very hit and miss if you like the hustle and bustle of a busy site, but i'd do the same in Europe next year.

Back