When were aftermarket headlights released?

james111333

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone remembers when T6 after market headlights LED / DRL etc started to become available? I need a set of T6.1 headlights but if T6 prices are anything to go by, I can get some much nicer ones for the same price as standard OEM halogens.
The LED OEM ones are currently about £1200 each!
Was it months before after market ones came out or years?

Many thanks, James

Have you tried having a chat with THQ or Travelin-Lite? They are big players in the current T6 aftermarket field, so would be best placed to advise..

I'd say about 18 months, I think the set I had from THQ were from one of the first batches in Jan 2018, the T6 was released in late Q1 2016

Why the swap? are yours damaged or are they still poor? I thought all T6.1 were either H7 or LED?

Have you tried having a chat with THQ or Travelin-Lite? They are big players in the current T6 aftermarket field, so would be best placed to advise..
Thanks, I'll give them a shout.

I'd say about 18 months, I think the set I had from THQ were from one of the first batches in Jan 2018, the T6 was released in late Q1 2016

Perfect, thanks, this was the kind of info I was after.
I may end up sticking with halogen and upgrading later down the line now though as we're still a year away if the last gen is to go by.

Why the swap? are yours damaged or are they still poor? I thought all T6.1 were either H7 or LED?

The headlights aren't poor, I am haha. Well, not really but I have a T5 builder's van to tart up a bit as I don't want to buy a T6.1 and be chucking my tools and materials in the back!
I've already sourced a 2nd hand 6.1 bumper, pattern wings are already available, bonnet is the same as the T6 I believe so that just leaves the headlights and trims / grill. I guess TPS is the next stop though as like I mentioned above, if it's another year, I'll have to go halogen as spending an extra £1000 per headlight is a bit of a waste, whether I could afford it or not.

I would probably get a few £ back on the genuine headlights on ebay too so would be worth getting them now I guess.

Thanks for everyone's help, maybe I'll post up some photos of the overhaul, it doesn't get more extreme than going from a beat up 2003 builder's van to a mint 2020 Highline :D
Well that's the plan anyway....

I seem to remember reading the T6.1 headlights won’t go in earlier vans as it is a different platform.

I’ve heard that too but not sure if it’s just LED? or if the halogens have the same issue...

You mean electrically or physically? The T5 electrics are super basic so I know that would be straight forward to deal with, much to my sadness, too basic to allow for a MFSW from a golf too.
Physically, anything is possible with some custom brackets (search 'project binky' haha. There will be some extra bits i'm sure but in the scheme of things it's nothing compared to swapping vans. I looked at going to a dented similar mileage T5.1 and it would cost about £4500-5000 plus the resale value of my van. For what I use it for, a T6 would be even more silly to get into as it would be a shame to give it such a hard life. I may well be getting a T6 for a conversion project though so may be here a lot more in the future!

For reference this is the parts list for a complete and thorough conversion from a T5, some bits are not strictly necessary though. T5 To T6.1 Premium Facelift kit

If there’s a kit then it must be possible.
I considered doing a 6.1 facelift when I retrofitted the OEM LED headlights to my T6 but was told it wasn’t physically possible (electrically) due to the different platform.
Hopefully you can get the halogens working. Be sure to post up some pictures once it’s done :thumbsup:

Thanks, will do, I'm pretty excited as I have only recently got my first current generation car (Skoda Superb) so it will be good having (at least on the surface) a current gen van too.

I wonder if the people who advised you were suggesting that because it was not a direct plug and play 'bolt on' type addition? Ultimately though it would be easy whether it was LED, halogen or even Xenon as any existing circuit can be adapted, even if it takes a relay, control module or some VCDS coding to stop the fault codes. In my case though it is so much more simple than fussy newer electrics (which I prefer though for all of the other benefits)

I'm halfway through building a home cinema so there may be a short delay in the facelift, I'm just trying to take advantage of being able to pick up deals as and when, like the bumper, I got it for super cheap and it's in great shape.

Back