When is a warranty not a warranty?

brother52

I called VW as my 3 year warranty is about to expire and I have had problems with the Moll battery. Was told as they couldn’t look at it for another month it would not be covered by warranty that remained as they wouldn’t be able to invoice VW within the remaining warranty! Hence a 3 year warranty isn’t actually a 3 year warranty, it’s around 35 months. I did try to argue the case that it was being reported well within the warranty period but it fell on deaf ears. I had spent a good few weeks going over the idea of extending the warranty but have decided I probably won’t bother as I don’t think it’s worth the paper it’s written on. I know that warranties average around 12% of the premium set aside for repairs. I think I had been quoted around £400, that would mean on average that warranty is expected to pay out £48 in repair costs. I know some will get repairs in the thousands but the average is still projected at the same 12%. Considering they then push for services to be done at a main dealer and then try to tell you that,( non warranty covered), work needs doing that , let’s just say, is questionable and is charged at a very high rate I am not convinced that it’s worth keeping the warranty if I have a reliable decent garage I have dealt with for 25 years that can do the work at a more realistic rate. I am open to others experiences with VW and extended Warranty though...

In answer to the thread title, it would appear that the answer is “when given by VW!!!”
I think you are better off to go to a trusted independent!

Agreed, VW assist have immediate powers and if roadside assist take you to a garage they have 24 hours to diagnose and report back to VW

I bought the van used through a main dealer,( 18 plate was around a year old so had it for coming up for two years). Isn’t VW assist only if you bought new?? Maybe I am wrong with that?

The VW Moll battery is a well known issue that VW want to deny.

search on here

then call your service centre and tell them to replace it

my T6 was 2nd hand and they replaced mine

/ Thanks for that. I was under the impression that I didn’t have Assist but will phone them tomorrow. Needless to say the Dealership didn’t inform me of that. Wonder why. I knew the Moll batteries were problematic,( I have been on this forum for a couple of years but guess it still says new member since I haven’t posted enough?).

Last edited:
When I purchased my van new I bought the factory extended warranty making it 5 years does anyone know if vw assist covers the whole 5 years or just the first 3 years
Thanks
Colin

I’m pretty sure that assist is only for 3 years even if you paid for the 5 year extended warranty.

Back