Wheel arch liner fitting/removal

nickg77

T6 Pro
Hi Folks, probably very easy, however in my rush to change my side indicators in the rain, passenger side cable and connector has fallen into the inner wing. I haven’t looked as its now dark but is the wheel arch liner an Easy remove?

Look for the Transporter HQ video on headlights / bumper removal, it will show you how to detach them (at least the front half).

Thanks guys, I got creative with a piece of twin and earth and hooked it out in the end - school boy error!!

Reactions: CAB
Ok so is this a known issue ?
I’ve been looking for the cause of annoying rattles coming from the rear of my van for like ever .. most of the time writing it off as just stuff in the back I’m carrying but decided to get everything out of van to find these annoying sounds are definitely still happening I’ve checked all my panels fir cables ratting etc etc nothing .. the sound is totally random and only happens when I’m going over bumps which is like all the time on the roads in my area .. so after pretty much eliminating the interior i checked around the wheels and voila both liners appear to be quite loose and make an annoying rattling sound if I tap them with my finger .. so is this a wheels off job to fix ? can I do anything easily to fix it. . Also has anyone else come across the issue it’s really making me hate the van at the moment seems worse every day .. I think it’s probably been going on for quite a while and it’s just got worse recently

Pretty sure there was a similar thread posted not very long ago, I think it was the tailgate latch from what I remember.

Pretty sure there was a similar thread posted not very long ago, I think it was the tailgate latch from what I remember.
Hmmm so I’m pretty solitary with the rattling wheel arch liners .. that surprises me .. can someone tap their wheel arch liner and see if it rattles ? Lol but seriously I need to know..

I don't think so. They don't rattle if you tap them upwards i.e. the direction of force of a bump. They move a fair bit if you tap horizontally (towards opposite wheel), but that's not 'my' annoying noise.

I don't think so. They don't rattle if you tap them upwards i.e. the direction of force of a bump. They move a fair bit if you tap horizontally (towards opposite wheel), but that's not 'my' annoying noise.
hmm yes It’s the horizontal tap I’m talking.... mine seem stupidly loose and rattle a lot so I’m guessing that that is what I’m hearing inside the van

Went out in day and looked across at my T6.1 and noticed the wheel arch liner is coming away on the front passenger side, pushed it back but it doesn't feel well fixed. Anyone else come across this ? Never had this in my 11 years of owning my T5, another sign they're not put together as well now ?

Aha. Sorry misread that. Yes understood. Hopefully just a loose clip or screw. Hopefully the light of day will help you sort it.

I had to fit mine back after VW had been in there!! If I remember correctly there are plastic inserts that push into a fixing point behind the liner. The torque head screw expands the plastic insert and it locks in place. They probably just need unscrewing and repositioning and tightening back up again.

I had to fit mine back after VW had been in there!! If I remember correctly there are plastic inserts that push into a fixing point behind the liner. The torque head screw expands the plastic insert and it locks in place. They probably just need unscrewing and repositioning and tightening back up again.
Yeah that's what it looked like, I'll have a proper look when I get time

After taking the bumper off to fit new headlights,it seems that i didn't attach the wheel arch liner properly:whistle:Which resulted in a noise(which i kept telling the mrs was the pop top).Result is that the liner has been lost somewhere on the A47.So i have a new one to fit.Anyone have experiance of fitting these,is it best to take the wheel off first?

After taking the bumper off to fit new headlights,it seems that i didn't attach the wheel arch liner properly:whistle:Which resulted in a noise(which i kept telling the mrs was the pop top).Result is that the liner has been lost somewhere on the A47.So i have a new one to fit.Anyone have experiance of fitting these,is it best to take the wheel off first?
Hi Paul ... Did you fit a new wheel arch liner? I need to remove the drivers side one to get at the horn. Was the process straight forward?
MTIA

Back