What Wheels?

Steveski

I’m embarking on this journey of wallet emptying and wanted to pick brains as a newbie :)
I want some smarter looking wheels, even toying with a rough off road look, I know, I know it’s not a 4 motion :) but I like the look, do you have any recommendations that will not alter the DSG gearing or rub etc? I don’t know about these things I’m using words I have seen on the forum :) ta in advance.

The van is the one in my profile, I’m still learning how to post pics.

I’m embarking on this journey of wallet emptying and wanted to pick brains as a newbie :)
I want some smarter looking wheels, even toying with a rough off road look, I know, I know it’s not a 4 motion :) but I like the look, do you have any recommendations that will not alter the DSG gearing or rub etc? I don’t know about these things I’m using words I have seen on the forum :) ta in advance.

The van is the one in my profile, I’m still learning how to post pics.

Wheels are very personal, along with "lowering" this is the most posted topic on this forum. Take time to learn how to use the search facility. Sit back enjoy hours of reading on ET, Speedo errors, rubbing and the like.

Seriously there is even a wheel directory on this forum, so enjoy the knowledge gained by others. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok so I’ve been into the VW Commercial centre today. They are offering a 20” alloy with VW badge. The details of the wheel are as follows:
Offset: ET45
Width: 9J
Tyre size: 275/35/R20 104 XL

They reckon that this won’t affect the speedo.

Hope that helps.

For me it has to be VW wheels, either from a T5, T6 or Amarok, and the optimum size imo, all things being considered especially tyre choice is 18"

Ok so I’ve been into the VW Commercial centre today. They are offering a 20” alloy with VW badge. The details of the wheel are as follows:
Offset: ET45
Width: 9J
Tyre size: 275/35/R20 104 XL

They reckon that this won’t affect the speedo.

Hope that helps.

It’s a Supermetal Trident

I can supply the trident cheaper than VW charge. Just not in the vw colours

I can supply the trident cheaper than VW charge. Just not in the vw colours
Hi. That’s good to know. Will defo bear that in mind. I was looking at Gloss Black so nothing fancy and a set 275/35 tyres as per the recommended size (although I disagree that this tyre size doesn’t alter the speedo). Thanks and please let me know what you can get the wheels for.

That tyre size (275x35R20 replacing 235x55R17) will affect the speedo by -0.87mph at 60. Which is less than a worn set of tyres compared to new.

Hi. That’s good to know. Will defo bear that in mind. I was looking at Gloss Black so nothing fancy and a set 275/35 tyres as per the recommended size (although I disagree that this tyre size doesn’t alter the speedo). Thanks and please let me know what you can get the wheels for.
I have a set of 20” GMP Gunners for £800 with tyres for sale that have done about 150-200miles

Last edited:
That tyre size (275x35R20 replacing 235x55R17) will affect the speedo by -0.87mph at 60. Which is less than a worn set of tyres compared to new.
Yes. The best tyre size to avoid any speedo error is a 265/35/R20 (according to my calculator). That gives a -0.46% error I think.

Yes. The best tyre size to avoid any speedo error is a 265/35/R20 (according to my calculator). That gives a -0.46% error I think.
They don’t do this size in the correct load rating. And VW have finally recognised the 275/35 as the correct tyre for up to T30. They don’t offer a recommend door T32

They don’t do this size in the correct load rating. And VW have finally recognised the 275/35 as the correct tyre for up to T30. They don’t offer a recommend door T32
Yeah I think the load rating is 102Y so may not be right for the T32. I asked a couple of times about whether they were the correct tyre for my van (T32) and the guys said yes. I wasn’t convinced as I’m sure they need to be 106W. I’m guessing that the 275/40/R20 tyres that are on most T32’s have the right load rating.

Yeah I think the load rating is 102Y so may not be right for the T32. I asked a couple of times about whether they were the correct tyre for my van (T32) and the guys said yes. I wasn’t convinced as I’m sure they need to be 106W. I’m guessing that the 275/40/R20 tyres that are on most T32’s have the right load rating.
T32 minimum tyre rating is 103.

Back