20” wheel arch mod??

Nik

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Great forum some really interesting stuff here.
I’m new to the forum and new to T6 ownership (I have a T6 2018 - T30 kombi)

I bought it with stance+ street coilvers and 20” Velare Alloys. It looks awesome and overall I’m really really happy with it, but I have an issue with these wheels rubbing the inner front arches. I have raised it up slightly but it hasn’t really worked. I have a friend who has the same van on 20” but has the Bilstein B14 Premium Coilovers and hers is doing the same. On rough / uneven roads both our vans are hitting the inner arch which makes a banging sound.

so my questions are;

Is this common with 20” wheels?
Does anyone on here have the same issue?
Is there a Mod that can be done to the inner arch?
Is there a known fix ( I know I know get smaller wheels…?!!)?

Any help amd support greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Nik

Reactions: CAB
I’m guessing you’ve got the wrong size tyres on, let me guess 275/40/20?

Also has the top screw been removed out of the wheel arch liner?

Hi F2Jon! Thanks for getting back to me re this post. Yes! How did you guess! The van has come with 275/40/20 tyres! I don’t think the top arch screw has been removed no. I can clearly see on the inner arch where it’s hitting/rubbing.
What tyres should it be running??

It’s a big debate that I’m sure you’ll read plenty of views on but the recommended tyre size for 20’s is 275/35/20 for t28 and t30 but if your t32 then because of the load rating you have to go 265/40/20. But… it also depends on widths of wheel, offset what suspension your running, all these play a factor. I’m running staggered 20’s 8.5 “ front 10”rears with 255/35/20 tyres on the front 275/35/20 on the rear on solow suspension at it lowest setting and have no chaffage at all. Your best speaking to oli at Bognor motors, they’ll advise you as they are really knowledgable. Good look and welcome to the mine field.

It’s a big debate that I’m sure you’ll read plenty of views on but the recommended tyre size for 20’s is 275/35/20 for t28 and t30 but if your t32 then because of the load rating you have to go 265/40/20. But… it also depends on widths of wheel, offset what suspension your running, all these play a factor. I’m running staggered 20’s 8.5 “ front 10”rears with 255/35/20 tyres on the front 275/35/20 on the rear on solow suspension at it lowest setting and have no chaffage at all. Your best speaking to oli at Bognor motors, they’ll advise you as they are really knowledgable. Good look and welcome to the mine field.
Are you not bothered about the difference in diameter from front to rear?

Thank you. Really appreciate your help. I’ll update the post once sorted - thanks again.

Initially your tyres are oversize - so get them changed to sizes above

Then remove the screw on the outer of the arch at the top on the outside lip and fold the tab in.

Where the tyres rub on full lock - use a heat gun here and push it back as much as possible

All your issues will be sorted. This is assuming that the correct offset wheels are fitted - which should be fine with Velare (Et35 on the front )

Reactions: Nik
Are you not bothered about the difference in diameter from front to rear?
Nope, this is what transporter hq recommended when they supplied and fit my wheels ,it’s 13.5mm difference I’m not going to lose sleep over that, they look and work perfect for me, the van drives nice with no rubbing at all.

Back