What To Do? Penalty Ticket… Moral Advice Needed.

Stigofthedub

T6 Pro
Hi guys, just been out in Lincoln and came back to a parking ticket. It was my fault I didn't read the sign properly and thought I was ok to park where I did. However the ticket has a character of my registration wrong. I know they take pictures but they have filled in the paper work incorrectly. Do you think I can get away with it?

No because it was only one character mines an F and they wrote P. Its printed from a machine so it's not somebody's bad handwriting, F and P arnt close on a keypboard either.

Yes it's tempting, but it's £35 if paid in 2 weeks or £70 after that. No doubt there's street video as well. It's just can I get away with a formality error.

As you say, they take a digital still image. If it were to go to court they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was your vehicle. Camera is infallible whereas the person writing the ticket could be dyslexic.
You know it was you, you know you parked where you shouldn’t; it’s just one of those things you need to chalk up to experience and pay.

id just pay it, not worth the stress/agro contesting it, they will have photographic proof anyway.

tickets in London are £60/120

As you say, they take a digital still image. If it were to go to court they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was your vehicle. Camera is infallible whereas the person writing the ticket could be dyslexic.
You know it was you, you know you parked where you shouldn’t; it’s just one of those things you need to chalk up to experience and pay.

Definitely this..

Suck it up, Buttercup. (As they say on TV..)

Taken a screenshot of this - £25 by 5pm in used notes or I go to the wardens...

(I’d pay in the real world but let them know their error - you never know they may be grateful enough to waive the fine as a goodwill gesture).

Is it private or a council ticket?

If it’s private I would ignore it and all the subsequent threatening letters and they will just go away. Don’t enter into any correspondence with them and in the unlikely event they do take you to court claim you don’t own a vehicle with that registration

Is it private or a council ticket?

If it’s private I would ignore it and all the subsequent threatening letters and they will just go away. Don’t enter into any correspondence with them and in the unlikely event they do take you to court claim you don’t own a vehicle with that registration
This!

Council pay, private ignore. That’s if you can be bothered with the multiple threatening debt collector letters you will receive before they eventually give up. The key is zero response from you

Think I’d just pay it, couldn’t be bothered with the aggro, like above chalk it up to experience. I know it grinds your gears but could have been worse, clamping etc......

If it was me, Id just pay it, but make sure you get all receipts properly marked up.

For £35 it’s just not worth the stress.

Like you say, it was your fault. :(

Not sure if its the same but a few years ago i once parked in a coach/bus bay at a motorway services (it was late/cold, place was deserted and i only needed a wee) and i came back to a ticket with one digit wrong same as yours, i ignored it and never heard from them again

Thanks for the advice guys.
It was a council ticket. It was my fault, I was driving to a pay and display car park when someone pulled out of this space, I parked there and checked the sign. 8am to 6pm 30mins max etc, so thought no probs. It was 7pm then. What I didn't notice was a sign above that saying 8pm to 8am taxis. Expensive mistake. Ho hum...
Interestingly when I look at the mot checker site the reg on the ticket does not exist so trying to pay on line would require me to enter a wrong reg.

If its the council its worth a punt at appealing it, stating the information is not clear as its not on the same sign and therefore contradictory.. Dispute it within the 35 pound time scale and the worst case you only pay the 35

Last edited:
I challenge all parking tickets. I get a few, but always try to park legally.
Often, I challenge within the 14 days, and get good results.
I once even appealed on the basis my pay and display ticket had been blown away, when I closed my door. The appeal was successful

Back