Waterproof / Surf key

Turns out I was barking up the wrong tree anyway, I was sure I'd seen an option to disable the alarm by unlocking with key but I must have been mistaken. It must have been the option to disable alarm with IGNITION key that I'd seen. There is an option for a delay after opening or unlocking, but neither gives any delay at all and the alarm sounds immediately the door is opened. Oh well, back to the Aquapac.

Reactions: mmi
I have this same problem when I'm out with my Kayak. I currently put my master key in a waterproof bag thing and as i don't intend to capsize it works for me. However, mine didn't come with a surf key but I'm thinking Timpson or similar may be able to make one.
The point I'm getting to is, Why is it such a big problem if the alarm sounds for 2-3 seconds max whilst I'm getting my master key from inside?
Or am I just an inconsiderate old sod?

I have this same problem when I'm out with my Kayak. I currently put my master key in a waterproof bag thing and as i don't intend to capsize it works for me. However, mine didn't come with a surf key but I'm thinking Timpson or similar may be able to make one.
The point I'm getting to is, Why is it such a big problem if the alarm sounds for 2-3 seconds max whilst I'm getting my master key from inside?
Or am I just an inconsiderate old sod?
Yeah I know what you mean, it's just that there are some situations where I might not want to draw attention to where I am, or am out in the water very early. I've timed it and it takes 13 seconds to unlock my safe, retrieve the key and press the button. Timpsons do make surf keys, they made one for my T5, which come to think of it did disarm the alarm when unlocked with the key as I never had this problem then...

I got my surf key from vw today if anyone wants the part number ?

If I lock the van manually with the surf key the alarm doesn’t sound but if I open the van with the surf key after it’s been locked with the remote key the alarm sounds

Hi all I need a way to lock my van and be able to take the key kitesurfing with me. I am currently using a waterproof pouch but was intending to just get a passive key cut so I could leave the active key in the van. However the local Timpsons to.d me this was not possible does anyone have a way around this?
Cheers Paul

I’ve thought about doing the same. I just stash the key in a ‘safe’ place and hope amnesia doesn’t strike.

I used to do something similar, but seems a bit too risky these days. And I guess everyone knows the normal place on a vehicle that surfers stash their keys now. A mates van got done while he was on the water they emptied the contents of his glove box an put the key back where they’d found it!!

I asked this a few years back and was advised by someone on here to get one of those little waterproof wallets you hang round your neck, aquapack I think it was called. Worked great and still using the same one

Edit - that first link is the very thread I mentioned

Edit to the edit - both threads are me:think smile bounce:

I was considering something like this?

I have stashed the keys under the van before but I don't feel comfortable doing it too often!
I like that idea. The whole keyfob is quite a lump to have against your body (especially if you get a slap from the board or water on) and I'm baffled why a passive (flat) key can't be cut. I used to slip them into a pocket high up on the closing zip.

I have an old style key ( just a plain key )
That opens the doors and I lock my normal keys in a hidden safe in the van

I just ordered the VW plastic key and had it cut at the local key cutters. Works perfectly and doesn’t set the alarm off if I lock the van with the plastic key. Maybe try a different key cutter?

Reactions: JOG
Back