Waterproof / Surf key

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I don't surf, old joints and the coordination of a 3 legged hippo prevent that, but I do swim and snorkel in the sea, along with fishing in places I very often get soaked. In my old T5 I could lock the van without setting my alarm but I can't in the T6, so what's the best solution you guys use? I could get a bare key with no electronics and just let the alarm go off every time I enter, before retrieving the remote from inside, but this could be annoying when wild camping in quiet areas? Or I could get some sort of waterproof pouch to put the key in and just hope that it works?

Are there any innovative solutions I'm missing? (I don't include hiding the key outside while someone could be watching o_O)

Thanks, that's something I hadn't thought of. However, since a friend of mine showed me how to open a combination padlock without knowing the number a couple of years ago, I can do a 4 digit one in about a minute, I don't know if I would be able to trust it. I don't know how widely the trick is is known but I have enough paranoia now that convinces me everybody knows :cautious:

Aquapac all day long; waterproof bag you keep with you.
Do NOT leave the key near the van even in a "safe."
Aquapacs are about a tenner; do look after it as they can eventually split but my current one has lasted me three years and is fine.

Aquapac all day long; waterproof bag you keep with you.
Do NOT leave the key near the van even in a "safe."
Aquapacs are about a tenner; do look after it as they can eventually split but my current one has lasted me three years and is fine.

I saw it discussed some time ago (maybe not on this forum) that someone locked their key in such a box, came back, van gone. Insurance would not cover it as in effect they had left the key with the vehicle.
I use one of these for my mobile phone when out power boating, so it would work for a key.
Waterproof Case - Bags - Maintenance & Boat Care - Chandlery

Mines going in the bin, when I get home....!!

+1 for aquapac

If you want a cheap ripoff one (that I definitely would't put a £500 phone in) message me your address. I've got about 500 of them thanks to a project I am involved in.
Thanks but your endorsement puts me off a bit :rofl:
Looks like Aquapac is the way to go, thanks for the replies

+1 for aquapac

If you want a cheap ripoff one (that I definitely would't put a £500 phone in) message me your address. I've got about 500 of them thanks to a project I am involved in.
I had a larger Aquapac fail with a new iPhone in. They paid my insurance excess!

Wouldn't trust a phone but a key is fine.
VW keys are surprisingly robust; I've soaked one by mistake; worked fine.

I use the cheap ones for keys. Aquapac for phone. I kayak rather than surf, so try to stay out of the water, but I like waves and I'm not very good so get pretty regular dunkings. Keys all still working fine so far.

Looking through VCDS it looks like it's possible to set it to disable the alarm on unlocking of the door with the key. Presumably this means that I could use a key blade only, with no chip, to unlock the door and then retrieve the proper key from inside a locked safe? It's not something I'd want set all the time but would relieve my slight anxiety of the Aquapac round my neck failing when I'm swimming 500 miles from home.

Any drawbacks I haven't thought of?

Looking through VCDS it looks like it's possible to set it to disable the alarm on unlocking of the door with the key. Presumably this means that I could use a key blade only, with no chip, to unlock the door and then retrieve the proper key from inside a locked safe? It's not something I'd want set all the time but would relieve my slight anxiety of the Aquapac round my neck failing when I'm swimming 500 miles from home.

Any drawbacks I haven't thought of?

Why don't you just use one of these and padlock the key under the van? Cheap on Amazon / Screwfix, that's what I use for paddle boarding had no issues. Screenshot_20180715-170017__01.jpg

Why don't you just use one of these and padlock the key under the van? Cheap on Amazon / Screwfix, that's what I use for paddle boarding had no issues. View attachment 25469
Thanks but I was told a few bad stories about insurance companies citing contributory negligence if the keys were stolen while using these last time I asked about them. Prob apcryphal, but it kind of put me off.

Thanks but I was told a few bad stories about insurance companies citing contributory negligence if the keys were stolen while using these last time I asked about them. Prob apcryphal, but it kind of put me off.
How about a new key+remote module. Pairing only the remote with the van, not the chip, and possibly even leave keyblade unengraved. Perhaps this could be then stored in a hidden and locked box. :unsure:

My idea seems simpler though, key round my neck (as my safe key always is) then unlock door with key, which then turns alarm off and then get full key out of the safe to start the van. It means the van is locked and alarmed unless someone actually picks the lock, but they're much more likely to force a window than do that. Just wanted to see if anyone else had done this via VCDS. I'll get a key cut and then try it.

Reactions: mmi
Don’t need to get a key cut you can try it with your flip key
There’s nothing in the door to sense anything

Don’t need to get a key cut you can try it with your flip key
There’s nothing in the door to sense anything
Ah yes, I should know that, I've had the locks out enough times :rolleyes: :thumbsup: I'll get the laptop out tomorrow night

Back