Water Push-fit connectors

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m preparing my van for the installation of the alternator side of the split charge system. Everything has been disconnected or dismantled so I can remove the fridge/battery/inverter/larder cabinet fo access the installers wiring. However, I also have the shower pipes running up the side to the outlet, which needs disconnecting. They are push fit connections, but my knowledge has now run out. Can they somehow be unplugged or is their use a one way journey? If so, I’ll leave them as they are, cut the pipes for cabinet removal and on re assembly, connect further down the pipe with a couple of straight connectors.

IMG_20211202_125611.jpg

IMG_20211202_133953.jpg

If you push the collar in towards the rest of the white fitting (the collar being the part nearest the black fitting) and pull apart. Some of them need quite a pull, others not so much depending on if they have been lubricated. They do not appear to have the twist lock too. :)

i would highly recommend you get new connectors they easily come apart as said above just push and hold the collar down and pull the pipe out

but they do tend to leak once disturbed always replace them might save you problems when you reconnect and only a couple of pound

those you can undo as said above, others need a tool to insert. any plumbers merchant or toolstation, screw fix etc do them. about £1 each.

Looks like they came apart OK, the fittings would probably be fine to use again but if you don't mind buying new I wouldn't blame you, I would check the pipe for any scratches or scoring where the O ring will sit before reassembling though. I'm not sure what type of pipe the red and blue stuff is but usually any type of plastic pipe would have liners inserted before being pushed in to the fittings, I can't see any on your pictures. I'm not saying these are the ones you'd need but just an example - they help the pipe keep it's shape inside the fitting, especially important on hot pipe work which can soften slightly as it heats up.

Is there a common standard size of plastic pipe used in this industry.... I think mines smaller than 15mm...maybe 10mm?

I think this is the stuff used in my vehicle. 10mm outside diameter. It's semi rigid, which makes it a pain to extract as it's either whipping me or poking my eyes :rolleyes: out but it doesn't seem to need reinforcement at the actual insertion point.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 16.47.41.png

Domestic sizes are 28, 22, 15 and 10mm. I'm not sure about the requirements for liners but for what they cost and how many you'll need I'd be using them.

As a plumber I'd be more concerned with the condition of the pipe than the fittings as the outside of the pipe is what the O rings in the fittings seal on. If you're getting new fittings I'd put elbows straight off the brass part and then reduce from these to the keep the pipes straighter.

Looks like they came apart OK, the fittings would probably be fine to use again but if you don't mind buying new I wouldn't blame you, I would check the pipe for any scratches or scoring where the O ring will sit before reassembling though. I'm not sure what type of pipe the red and blue stuff is but usually any type of plastic pipe would have liners inserted before being pushed in to the fittings, I can't see any on your pictures. I'm not saying these are the ones you'd need but just an example - they help the pipe keep it's shape inside the fitting, especially important on hot pipe work which can soften slightly as it heats up.
Excellent - it’s the blooming scratch that weeps! Pipe inserts make a world of difference (you can even put a compression joint on the pipe if you use them!)

Is there a common standard size of plastic pipe used in this industry.... I think mines smaller than 15mm...maybe 10mm?
Probably 10mm, I’d be surprised is they went above 15mm

Domestic size is 10mm but campers/caravans generally 12mm. John Guest manufacturer. With the pressures involved I'd be surprised if you need to replace, but check the pipe for damage where the O ring will seal. You should have the inserts also:

Inserts

Cheers
Ian

Domestic size is 10mm but campers/caravans generally 12mm. John Guest manufacturer. With the pressures involved I'd be surprised if you need to replace, but check the pipe for damage where the O ring will seal. You should have the inserts also:

Inserts

Cheers
Ian
Oh, they’d have to go 12mm, wouldn’t they?!!!!

I had an elbow weep just last week replacing a chilled water pressurization unit pump. Tried the old fittings first kinda new was risky and yep leaked on filling up drained and replaced just disturbing the pipe can make them weep/leak

but warm chilled water 6 bar even sat on a pressure expansion vessel
chilled down sits at 4 bar a tiny all sitting on plastic hose best to be safe than sorry or risk a flood

expansion is amazing hence the screen cracking in another thread with a hot spot on a cold screen

Nick

Back