Joolca shower initial review

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Ok, here’s my quick review of the Joolca shower, based on a single testing in the garden.

I bought the “Outing Kit” as I wanted the pump. The photo below shows what you get.

IMG_3412.jpeg

The heater bit has a couple of legs, which come off with a single thumbscrew each side.
On the left is the orange push fit gas pipe. It comes with a regulator and standard fitment for larger gas bottles. I have bought an adaptor to allow it to fit to the Camping Gaz 907 canister we use in the van.
In the middle is the hot water supply. Another bayonet fit to the underside of the heater for the first hose. This then goes to a mechanical valve shower switch which can hang inside your shower tent (it comes with a sleeve for this), and then a shorter hose which goes to the shower head. This arrangement of pipes looks like it will work well.
On the right is the cold water supply. One hose links the pump outlet to the heater, and the other links the inlet on the pump to your cold water supply through the filter. I dropped the filter into standard water container.
The pump comes with a long electric cable, terminated in a cigarette lighter connector.

To make it work, you put 2 “D” type batteries (supplied) into the underside of the heater. These power the display and the igniter. Open the gas supply, and turn the pump on. Nothing really happens until you open the shower switch, at which point the heater senses the water flow and ignites the gas and off you go.
It all worked instantly and quickly. You control the heat and the water flow with the knobs on the heater unit. Switch the shower switch off, and the thing just stops.

The number of hoses etc is a bit overwhelming, but the photo below shows that you can fit everything apart from the pump in a 9 litre Really Useful Box, and if I tried really hard, I could probably get that in too.

IMG_3413.jpeg

We bought this as an insurance policy in case we can’t get to a campsite with showers in our planned European travels. My wife was suitably impressed and could see herself using it in an emergency.

Hope this is useful.

Pete

Thanks Pere, bet your neighbours got an eye full while you testing it in your garden

How you planning on mounting this or you just going to leave it free standing when in use?

Thanks Pere, bet your neighbours got an eye full while you testing it in your garden

How you planning on mounting this or you just going to leave it free standing when in use?

The next step is to see how it mounts in our toilet/shower tent. The heater will be free standing.

Pete

Zero, it's instant heat. So it's whatever size container you choose, or you put the filter in a river/pool.

Pete

Hi @Pete C. I'm considering buying one of these and I have a few questions if I may...

Have you used the shower in earnest yet and, if so, did you find the flowrate and temperature adequate?
How easy would it be to hook this thing up to a BBQ point on an underslung LPG tank?
Do you think this could be hooked-up to a rear (cold-water) shower outlet or would the flow rate be insufficient?
If gas & water were hooked-up to the van, how far away from the van could you set this thing up (i.e. cable & hose lengths)?

TIA

Hi @Bav

Abroad with the shower at the moment, so difficult to answer some questions. Anyway:

No, not needed to use it in anger. It worked well in test at home.
Should be straight forward to hook gas up with right adapter, although it comes with what I think of as a BBQ adaptor anyway.
Can't comment on flow rate as we have the model with a pump.
I would need to open the unit to check hose lengths - can do this when we are home next week, Joolca seem pretty responsive and should be able to answer that.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi @Bav

Abroad with the shower at the moment, so difficult to answer some questions. Anyway:

No, not needed to use it in anger. It worked well in test at home.
Should be straight forward to hook gas up with right adapter, although it comes with what I think of as a BBQ adaptor anyway.
Can't comment on flow rate as we have the model with a pump.
I would need to open the unit to check hose lengths - can do this when we are home next week, Joolca seem pretty responsive and should be able to answer that.

Cheers,

Pete
No worries Pete - I'll contact Joolca directly. Enjoy your travels. :thumbsup:

No worries Pete - I'll contact Joolca directly. Enjoy your travels. :thumbsup:
Hi @Bav. this is what we use
I can call around with it if you like so you try?
Not this weekend as we are away camping and will be taking the shower with us.

• Love
Reactions: Bav
That would be helpful, thanks Nick. We're off camping next weekend, but happy to arrange something further down the line. :thumbsup:

Ok, here’s my quick review of the Joolca shower, based on a single testing in the garden.

I bought the “Outing Kit” as I wanted the pump. The photo below shows what you get.

View attachment 197585

The heater bit has a couple of legs, which come off with a single thumbscrew each side.
On the left is the orange push fit gas pipe. It comes with a regulator and standard fitment for larger gas bottles. I have bought an adaptor to allow it to fit to the Camping Gaz 907 canister we use in the van.
In the middle is the hot water supply. Another bayonet fit to the underside of the heater for the first hose. This then goes to a mechanical valve shower switch which can hang inside your shower tent (it comes with a sleeve for this), and then a shorter hose which goes to the shower head. This arrangement of pipes looks like it will work well.
On the right is the cold water supply. One hose links the pump outlet to the heater, and the other links the inlet on the pump to your cold water supply through the filter. I dropped the filter into standard water container.
The pump comes with a long electric cable, terminated in a cigarette lighter connector.

To make it work, you put 2 “D” type batteries (supplied) into the underside of the heater. These power the display and the igniter. Open the gas supply, and turn the pump on. Nothing really happens until you open the shower switch, at which point the heater senses the water flow and ignites the gas and off you go.
It all worked instantly and quickly. You control the heat and the water flow with the knobs on the heater unit. Switch the shower switch off, and the thing just stops.

The number of hoses etc is a bit overwhelming, but the photo below shows that you can fit everything apart from the pump in a 9 litre Really Useful Box, and if I tried really hard, I could probably get that in too.

View attachment 197586

We bought this as an insurance policy in case we can’t get to a campsite with showers in our planned European travels. My wife was suitably impressed and could see herself using it in an emergency.

Hope this is useful.

Pete
I have fitted a few in the vans we must not speak of (Transit). Good piece of kit. We install gas box with drop vent through the floor. we pipe the gas to a bayonet snap in for gas and water, open back door switch it on and a bit of privacy. If you need camper gas we are ticketed to do it in NI as it’s a rare ticket to hold.

I have fitted a few in the vans we must not speak of (Transit). Good piece of kit. We install gas box with drop vent through the floor. we pipe the gas to a bayonet snap in for gas and water, open back door switch it on and a bit of privacy. If you need camper gas we are ticketed to do it in NI as it’s a rare ticket to hold.
Not in NI, and don’t own a van yet but have you got any pictures as I’d be interested in how you do them?

Hi Nick,

I'm going to go for a PlyGuys conversion in my van and was considering something like this. I've looked at Joolca but would rather something that I could sit in the back of my van. Do you think this would be suitable for a semi permanent setup with the water pump running down into the tank?

Thanks

Stuart

Back