Water in tail gate

Keeff

T6 Guru
we had a lot of rain down here in Dorset last night and when I opened the tailgate at work today I could hear water moving around inside . It has drain holes in the bottom but they had plastics plugs in them . I removed them and the water came out so . Could someone with a tailgate have a look please and see if they have the plugs . I will pop the inside panel off at the weekend and see if I can find how it getting in and if not I will need to take it to the dealers .
Thanks

Four little oval holes each with a plastic bung/plug in it

Yeah - but how did it get in there? If you have a glazed tailgate it should be bonded in - i.e. sealed.

I will have a look at mine tomorrow, but funny you've brought this up because after the first real rain of the summer (in East Kent) my van had water in the drivers step and on the passenger seat tonight. Couldn't see anything obvious but guessing mine was seal related?

I will have a look at mine tomorrow, but funny you've brought this up because after the first real rain of the summer (in East Kent) my van had water in the drivers step and on the passenger seat tonight. Couldn't see anything obvious but guessing mine was seal related?
Absolutely window or door seal. Probably door seal unless the widow was cracked open.

Door seals it is then, i'll have a good look over them tomorrow. The list for it's first visit back to the dealers grows!!

I have the same, water in drivers foot well and its looking like its going inside door and out the bottom, my window rubber moves away from glass very slightly at front inch or two and i suspect this is the entry point but i will let VW decide

Thanks for looking . I have keeped the plugs but this looks like my first visit to the dealers. It was a lot of water about a cup full so I will pop the panel off and get a hose on it as I could do without the time off getting it fixed.

I have the same, water in drivers foot well and its looking like its going inside door and out the bottom, my window rubber moves away from glass very slightly at front inch or two and i suspect this is the entry point but i will let VW decide
Even then why is it in the footwell? That suggests it is migrating across somehow on to the back of the door card to be able to drip into the footwell rather than exit via the drain holes.

How strange! Min have had mine in some pretty bad rain since having her and nothing leaks luckily!

I think I have fixed mine. The high level brake light wasn't pushed in fully so water was getting in and running down the inside of the glass then down into the bottom of the door. I am not going to refit the plugs in the drain holes until I am 100% sure it ok but it took a good blast from the hose pipe .

I think I have fixed mine. The high level brake light wasn't pushed in fully so water was getting in and running down the inside of the glass then down into the bottom of the door. I am not going to refit the plugs in the drain holes until I am 100% sure it ok but it took a good blast from the hose pipe .
My wife's VW Up did that to. It was only 3 years old and the rubber seal around the top break light had given up allowing water in that would run down the inside of the rear window into the boot door.

Have you checked the roof bungs where you attach the roof rack? Might be coming from there

I did check the headlining the other day and all seemed to be ok. What is weird it it doesn't get water inside during bath time, just when it rains for a prolonged time.

I've heard of this in a couple of T6 Calis - I think it turned out to be the high level brake light area leaking. Could be worth a quick look.

Back