Wanted T5

Dave F

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking for a older T5 don’t mind the mileage as long as it’s well looked after and serviced.
The reason is my don is starting work for me and his girlfriend is due there first baby and our first grandchild. So it needs to have 3 seats and be safe I am open to others vans but just thought as our budget is low I might get a more reliable van with Vw. I have 5k and don’t won’t to be using any of that on VAT.
Any bargains out there!!!?
I will put this on the wanted section but just thought more people would see it here first. Thanks

Not really mate just interested in your finds.
Don’t think I’m going to get much for 5k unfortunately. There are a few Mercedes Vitos our there 09 9ok miles for £4700 /5k but am a little unsure if they are good as I’m sure they had quite a big bad spell with problems. The hunt goes on !!

Don’t think I’m going to get much for 5k unfortunately. There are a few Mercedes Vitos our there 09 9ok miles for £4700 /5k but am a little unsure if they are good as I’m sure they had quite a big bad spell with problems. The hunt goes on !!

Have you considered a Vivaro? £5k will find you a lower mileage and newer one than a T5.
They've had their share of reported issues, but I had the original Vivaro for 300k and it never went wrong, compared to the new shape we had, which went wrong every week. The Merc's just rust and rot, the Vivaro rarely corrodes.
Yeah, they don't come with a huge amount of bells and whistles, but they are good vans in my opinion and experience.

Have you considered a Vivaro? £5k will find you a lower mileage and newer one than a T5.
They've had their share of reported issues, but I had the original Vivaro for 300k and it never went wrong, compared to the new shape we had, which went wrong every week. The Merc's just rust and rot, the Vivaro rarely corrodes.
Yeah, they don't come with a huge amount of bells and whistles, but they are good vans in my opinion and experience.
I had a 07 vivaro that had a lot of problems at 80k then got a new 140 sport vivaro with all the extras . After 2 years and only 22000 miles it needed new gearbox, clutch and other things.
I have had a few different vans but decided last time to spend more so got a new crafter as I just don’t think the other makes are built for work.
I doesn’t look like I will get a T5 for my budget and am going off the merc as you are the second person to say they rust so I am going to have to have a re think. All advice is good advice
Cheers

You're almost into 2014 Transit money albeit they will want VAT on top unless it's cat D etc.

Seen this on eBay it looks like a decent buy but I don’t know much about used vans. It has 156000 is the 2.5 engine any good or should I stick to a 1.9.

Are there any questions I should be asking
It has a don’t on the back door and also strapped the rear wheel arch
Any opinion would be a big help as it’s In Manchester and I’m in Whitley bay so viewing is going to be a problem.

7236E99C-4BF6-4CEB-BAC9-286CA48FE76D.png

F5D421F8-56A5-40A7-A462-BB6F0F78BA3F.png

It has 156000 is the 2.5 engine any good or should I stick to a 1.9.
I ran 11 years T5 with a 2.5 TDI engine. At 120000 coolant pump was replaced - a kind of common thing at some point.
The engine runs alternator and A/C compressor through elastic drive couplings - these couplings are scheduled (and highly recommended) to be replaced every 100000 miles (they are a bit expensive'ish, was 700€ quite a few years back). Engine has no timing belt - camshaft is driven by gear train- no maintenance there.
Eventually was replaced with a T6 at 140000 miles and it's still on the road. Enginewise - I would buy again...:) I would check that oil changes have been done as scheduled (mine had 20000 mi interval). And, that the engine is not remapped/chipped (as it seems being 130bhp).

Some fancy details about engine ---> VAG SSP 305 – The 2.5L R5 TDI engine - Pdf Online Download

I ran 11 years T5 with a 2.5 TDI engine. At 120000 coolant pump was replaced - a kind of common thing at some point.
The engine runs alternator and A/C compressor through elastic drive couplings - these couplings are scheduled (and highly recommended) to be replaced every 100000 miles (they are a bit expensive'ish, was 700€ quite a few years back). Engine has no timing belt - camshaft is driven by gear train- no maintenance there.
Eventually was replaced with a T6 at 140000 miles and it's still on the road. Enginewise - I would buy again...:) I would check that oil changes have been done as scheduled (mine had 20000 mi interval). And, that the engine is not remapped/chipped (as it seems being 130bhp).

Some fancy details about engine ---> VAG SSP 305 – The 2.5L R5 TDI engine - Pdf Online Download
Thank for that is a good help I have asked if it has serviced history and what had been done so will see what he says.
I will as about the things you have mentioned. Thanks

Reactions: mmi
Another van has piped up but it was imported from Ireland a year ago and is now registered in the uk. Would this be a problem in any way ie, insurance or are there a lot out there and people just don’t say they are ?. Should I avoid

Just need advice.
A van is ending today on eBay and it’s only a hour away from where I am on holiday.The issue I need advice about are as follows
1. It was imported from Ireland a year ago and the v5 shows 1 owner from new as it looks like the v5 has started again from the day it was reregistered in the uk. Will this cause any problems like insurance or valuation of the van?.

2. It has a few warning lights on the owner has told me they are because it need ABS sensors replace or a wire has been damaged when it was serviced.
It has 11 months mot left.

It ends today but can’t view it as he is away until tomorrow.

My question would be why has he not fixed the issue before selling it. Sounds like there could be bigger issues.

Pete

My question would be why has he not fixed the issue before selling it. Sounds like there could be bigger issues.

Pete
He told me that he works away and just needs it to go as hasn’t got time.
It’s a gamble but if it’s at a good price it could be ok.
Any ideas on how big it could be if it isn’t just the sensors?.
I would probably get a full service and replace the cam belt and water pump on it I just have no idea on the costs of this and also the potential cost of the abs problem.
At the price range I am at they all have something wrong but if I get one that has problems that are putting people off it but at the end of the day they aren’t that big to sort out I could get a decent van.
Any ideas of costs would be really helpful also the import side of it.
Cheers

Back