Want my T5 back!

rmo69

T32 204 Kombi LWB
T6 Pro
Having waited nearly six months for my new T6 LWB 150PS Kombi, I eagerly took delivery two weeks ago. In that short time I have grown to hate it for the following reasons:
  1. DPF warning light comes on every time after re fuelling if fuel gauge is in reserve. VW says its perfectly normal, don't drive it on reserve tank - easier said than done! The DPF in my T5 never came on once in four years.
  2. The fuel economy is just weird - varies from outstanding to terrifying irrespective of conditions or journey type. Overall we've got it about 30% worse than my T5.
  3. There are horrendous knocks, squeaks and rattles, sounds like its 10 tears old. Again VW were their usual helpful self "well it is a van at the end of the day sir"
  4. Now getting strong burning rubber smell and radiator seems to be permanently on.
Given the choice I would have my T5 back off them in a shot, it never put a foot wrong in 4 years. I've got a feeling the next four years are going to interesting and expensive.

As a footnote, I would also like to point out that the VW dealer made me sign the paperwork on the finance three weeks before I could take delivery otherwise I would lose my loyalty discount, and I was offered a free tank of fuel if I answered 5 stars to all the questions on the on line satisfaction survey, which is bribery, isn't it?

Sorry to hear you're not happy.
Are the first 2 points related to the Euro 6 engine? I've got a euro5 140 in mine and not had wierd problems with DPF light yet.

Yeah, it's Euro 6 - I was encouraged by the dealer to wait, because it's more efficient. It's anything but.

How many miles have you put on it?

The dpf light isn't normal. Mine has not done it once yet with plenty of Reserve area driving. I'm at 1900 miles on my 150 Euro 6.

That burning smell could be the clutch..... my radiator fan is usually on at the end of a journey. Quite normal for a minute or 2.

No rattles in mine yet. Can't be normal.

My first 4 tanks off fuel were 28mpg. The last tank was 30mpg and it seems to be improving with running in mileage.

1300 Miles Ratty - Forgot to mention I've got DSG (Not normally a fan of automatics, but got a gammy left knee) don't know if this would make a difference?

If I hit the reserve then fill up, as soon as you switch the ignition on, bang the DPF light is on. You have to do a manual regeneration to clear it. VW are adamant there is no fault, to quote them "you shouldn't really drive any vehicle for any length of time in the reserve tank" that's news to me and I've been driving thirty years.

welcome @rmo69
I have 150 combi 150ps, i have just done 1000 miles as @RattyMcClelland has been saying the mpg is not great really, i have not done any calcs but the MFD is showing about 30, no bad noise yet , no DPF light (did not no there was one :unsure:) no bad rattles yet but my lone combi had a really bad squeak in the dash ! My fan has run on a few times , not many , dont no why really i did think it was something to do with the regen ?

Something doesn't sound right. I have a SWB T30 DSG 150ps Euro 6 Panel Van converted to a camper and don't recognise much of what you are seeing with your van.

I now have 1400 miles on the clock and not once have I seen a DPF regen (granted I tend to fill up when if falls just below half full but am not sure what running on reserve, with a new vehicle, would have to do with this, i.e. maybe if there is a load of rubbish built up in your tank but I would have thought it would still be pretty clean with such a new vehicle??).

I have only been able to get an accurate fuel measurement once from topping off the tank which was after my first fill up - I did circa 200 miles and calculated it at 41.9 mpg. This was pretty much all on clear motorways doing speeds of 60-65 mph but was done with a fully laden van towing a trailer so would still expect more normal driving without the extra load and trailer to achieve somewhere close to this. I've not been able to get a accurate measurement since as there has been significant periods of running my Eberspacher heater between fill ups using up some of the diesel but, even with this "missing" diesel, I have not seen it drop below 33 mpg (real figures, if I could accurately account for the fuel used by the heater, would be much higher).

I was surprised by how quiet the converted van is, especially since adding the extra door seals - the only rattles and squeals I notice come from the pots and pans, etc. in the kitchen units.

My cooling fan does get a bit annoying when you pull up, having just nipped down the road, and the fan runs for a couple of minutes even though its freeing outside but I understand this is a feature of the vans. We get a "new engine" smell when this happens but nothing I'd describe as "burning rubber".

Is there anyway you could test drive another van of similar spec to yours to see if it feels and sounds different??

Stand your ground and get it sorted. Good luck!

16k in on a euro 5 and havent seen a dpf light yet and mine has taken a tank full of unleaded along the way that smoked and spluttered everywhere !!

I had a really annoying knocking/tapping noise coming from the back, it was driving me mad until I worked out it was the closing loop handle on the inside of the tailgate swinging forward and back and hitting the door card..it now has a duster tied round it, silence!

The DPF light wont always come on during a regen. During the 75000 miles i had the DPF on my T5.1 i never say the dpf light once. I then hollowed it and and had it mapped out.

I suspect a problem with yours..............

Thanks for responses everyone - seems consensus of opinion would be that somethings afoot - off to VW to persuade them of the same. Will report back although I may be some time!

The reserve light and DPF will be connected by software as they won't go into regen once you go into reserve . This is on most DPF vehicles so a fault in the software could cause this. Its a shame if they are going to start getting faults with this new engine as the old one runs so well . I'm not sure how much lower the emissions are but is it worth all the cost of changing.
Don't suppose it's a vw lease vehicle as they will step in and help you.

The fan on and the burning smell when you stop is because the van is the process of doing a Regen - if it's any consolation mine was doing it nearly every journey when I first got it, but now at 10K it hasn't done it for ages

I run down to reserve on every tank full and have never had my dpf light come on. My daily journeys are generally quite long though, around 50 miles each way commute.
Economy improves with every tankfull, now on 44mpg but to be fair my driving style encourages good mpg.
I'm interested to know what kind of knocks you are getting? As far as squeaks are concerned, the hard plastic dash means that anything in the pockets or glovebox tend to cause rattles, so I try to leave these as empty as possible.

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your T6.
I have the 180 manual euro5, and never fill up until the light comes on; not had a dpf light come on yet.
The van does a mixture of short journey's and then very long ones, and get really good economy, over 40 mpg without towing, and 35 to 37 with the boats on the towbar.
I did have a very annoying rattle when I first got it and found this to be the overhead storage bin. Popped it out, spread the clips, stuck it back in, no more rattles. Equally I have bought some door storage mats (from rugs for bugs) and this has also helped with those little trinkets that end up vibrating in the doors.
Really hope that you manage to get VW to do something about it for you. Their customer service does seem rather diabolical, and at a time when they should be bending over far more than normal for their loyal followers.

Hi all, not had any experience of VW yet, and my one will be the euro 5 engine, however, my come back at VW on the " shouldn't run on reserve " would be that that is what it is there for, especially if there is no specific warning of possible DPF light illumination mentioned in the handbook in relation to running low on fuel. I would also suggest that they might check it out at dealer out of good faith/relations to reassure you.

Just hit 9000 miles now averaging 37mpg (mainly motorway) now just working out slightly better than my previous 140 T5.
150 euro6 engine never had the DPF light come on and I tend not refuel until fuel light is on (last night did 37 miles after gauge saying 0 mile range)
No odd rattles, noises, but get the odd burning smell along with fan run on even after short journeys.

Hi all, after being a bit skeptical about joining this forum (I've known them to be a bit clique) I would just like to say a massive thank you for the welcome and response to my first post.

I've reported the issues to VW customer services, and emailed them a link to this thread to prove that the DPF thing is not a shared issue with their customers and not an acceptable or normal function of the vehicle. Initial reaction was one of indifference, then I threatened to go public with the sharp practices going off at the dealership. The Van is being picked up after Christmas for a full diagnostic inspection and mechanical test.

Lets hope they get to the bottom of it, it's just a shame you have to rattle cages to get anything to happen.

Again thanks it really has helped strengthen my resolve to get it sorted.

Well done, good news, let us know how you get on, and how VW treats you, as a customer with a genuine worry over the performance and reliability of its product.
This will be an interesting insight for all on the support that VW themselves give to us end users. One tip, run the vehicle low (reserve light about to come on but not on), so that they can check before light comes on, run it, and then have to put some fuel in it for you to put light out, and check vehicle again. Sorry if that was teaching to suck eggs lol, no offence intended.

Well played, its amazing what you can get done when you grab them by the curly's - they sure as hell don't need anymore bad press! I agree with T6 Dave, do everything you can to induce the fault before they pick it up. Please feed back to us all as to how you get on.

Back