Will this stop my EML coming on?

Chrispyduck

Just returned from VW van centre following software update and EGR flush as my engine management light came on again. I've already had the EGR valve replaced last year.

Three things they told me to do:

1. Never let the fuel gauge drop below quarter full as this prevents the DPF regen.
2. Only ever top up the AdBlue when the low warning comes up on the dash and only use VW brand.
3. The engines like to be revved so don't be afraid to work it hard on the revs. Mines a DSG so would I have to put it in manual to do this.

Question is if I follow above advice will this stop my EML coming on from the point of view of the emissions side of things.

Any relevant comments and advice appreciated.

Thanks from a slightly frustrated T6 owner.

SWB T6 Highline DSG 40k mileage.

Last edited:
Hi, so from my personal experience.......Purchased my T6.1 150 Highline manual from new, delivered May2021. Full camper conversion in September 2021, I use it as my daily drive for round trips of around 7 miles with occasional longer run. I monitor the DPF with Carista so always let the regen finish, even if it means I go a slightly longer way home, im now approaching 11k miles and havent missed a beat. The van has been faultless, looking into various forums it appears shorter journeys actually helps the EGR issues as longer runs at speed contributes most to the cooler blocking, maybe someone can comment for me on the accuracy of this ? Just one other point, I've just had my second service, and the DPF now goes longer between regens, it was every 100-120 miles, its now more like 150 miles, any reason for this, same journey length etc, always use premium diesel or additive. The regen always completes without thrashing the van, even at below 2000 rpm

All EGRs will foul and need replacing, first the valve will foul and no longer fully close then the cooler will block accelerated by the constantly open valve.
Treat it as expected corrective maintenance, there is no point in going down the flushing route, if there is any gain it’s very short term.
Just budget to replace, note the milage and expect the same in the future at the same interval.

@Chrispyduck

1. I agree this is a good idea, I’ve noticed after filling having had low fuel for a while that it regens as soon as sufficient fuel is put back in
2. I used to wait for the low warning but now just fill it when I reckon I can get a full 5L or 10L can in before long journeys (1000+)
3. I don’t believe in the “Italian tune up”, forcing more fuel through a system that is prone to clogging is unlikely to help.

Your post resonated with me, pre-T6 I had a Ford Galaxy TDCI, always had a nightmare with the EGR on long runs through France. Replaced EGR which then clogged again. Out of desperation I removed oil from the engine so it was only ever halfway up the dipstick, problem went away. Following an oil change the problem came back, remove oil to halfway and problem went away again. That car then got written off but that is another story.

My T6 is fine EGR wise but I also run an Audi A3 2.0TDI (2012) which has a cloggy EGR throwing up EML. I’ve removed oil down to halfway on the dipstick and the EGR problem has gone away, I’ve covered 40k miles like that since. The garage don’t even ask about how much oil to put in during an oil service now because they know what I’ll say! If my T6 ever gets an EGR problem can you guess what I would do…?

The reason why I think lower oil volume works is due to the amount of oil blow-by coming up through the crank breather which eventually finds its way in to the delicate EGR system - the more oil in there the higher risk of increase oil blow by. There are mechanisms in the crank breather system to trap the blow by but I think they get overwhelmed so too much gets through.

Last edited:
I think higher revs is definitely a thing to consider. On my T5.1 when fuel hit £2 a litre I changed from doing 80mph to sitting with the lorries at 55mph. After a few months of that I had constant dpf and egr issues. Started thrashing it again and they went away.

I think higher revs is definitely a thing to consider. On my T5.1 when fuel hit £2 a litre I changed from doing 80mph to sitting with the lorries at 55mph. After a few months of that I had constant dpf and egr issues. Started thrashing it again and they went away.
Chatting to a VW mechanic he mentioned that the best vans they see in good shape are the ones which have had a hard life 'thrashing' around.

Back