VW Transporter Electric

There is already discussion about EV’s powering the grid at night when solar is obviously offline.
Morocco has already proven that solar energy can be stored efficiently
While the oil rich states have reaped the rewards over the last century, the vast open sparsely populated states of North Africa with reliable, predictable sunshine are likely to reap the rewards of the next century and onwards, particularly if they work together.

Today l went to Citroen for my appointment to discuss the E/Dispatch
So, the salesman didn't appear to be ready for my appointment and was busy showing someone a car.
He sent someone over to speak to me "the vans haven't come in yet"
Well it was just prices and finance l wanted to talk about l said.
He went away again.

Sadly l got nowhere except to be told that the 75kw battery "has a range of 140 miles"
(no, it's 200)
And prices on the configurator are plus VAT. So the 75kw electric van in the better of the two trims is going to cost me nearly £50,000
Although he did say that the diesel version "would be good for at least five years"

l assume that means until the govt tax it into oblivion or render it illegal to actually sit in the drivers seat and start the engine.

l am not going to leave them a bad review, as it was clear that everyone at the dealership was stressed, and they were clearly short staffed. The forecourt was not full with cars, as dealerships generally are.
What cars they had were spread around. l guess that vans are just an extra level of hassle for them, there was only one van on the whole site.

Maybe that's why VW has a dedicated van centre.
Back to the T6.1 then.
Going for a test drive locally tomorrow. Bognor motors from this forum are currently the best price on a new van in the specification l want.

Last edited:
So the 75kw electric van in the better of the two trims is going to cost me nearly £50,000
Sadly l got nowhere except to be told that the 75kw battery "has a range of 140 miles"
(no, it's 200)

Will they let you have the EV for a few days so that you can find out what the range really is?
There seems to be some uncertainty from your post, it's the difference between getting home and getting stranded, that's a big difference when you've paid £50K.

Just imagine how long a Hermes delivery will take with an electric van!

Reactions: Ozi
Man buys van that is clearly quite different to any van he's ever driven. Man doesn't read owners manual or familiarise himself with controls.
Man wastes a great deal of time trying to defrost a windscreen whilst achieving nothing.
Man finds heated screen button in van but doesn't know it won't work whilst van is on charge, probably because he didn't read the manual.
Man isn't familiar with how to take van off charge but after much guesswork he manages it.
Man goes to wholesaler complaining he's late for his customer, then fannies around at the wholesaler, showing the racking system, making himself later for the customer.
Man reminds the viewer that he doesn't know how to use the parking brake because he didn't read the manual.
Man points out the speed is limited to 60mph but he would surely find this out before buying the van, he moves over into lane 1 of motorway, where he should have been anyway, to let a van pass him.
Man finds that having a drink in the cup holder directly in front of windscreen causes condensation on screen.
Man realises that the range is, as advertised, very poor, and even worse on a cold day.

Man buys van that is clearly quite different to any van he's ever driven. Man doesn't read owners manual or familiarise himself with controls.
Man wastes a great deal of time trying to defrost a windscreen whilst achieving nothing.
Man finds heated screen button in van but doesn't know it won't work whilst van is on charge, probably because he didn't read the manual.
Man isn't familiar with how to take van off charge but after much guesswork he manages it.
Man goes to wholesaler complaining he's late for his customer, then fannies around at the wholesaler, showing the racking system, making himself later for the customer.
Man reminds the viewer that he doesn't know how to use the parking brake because he didn't read the manual.
Man points out the speed is limited to 60mph but he would surely find this out before buying the van, he moves over into lane 1 of motorway, where he should have been anyway, to let a van pass him.
Man finds that having a drink in the cup holder directly in front of windscreen causes condensation on screen.
Man realises that the range is, as advertised, very poor, and even worse on a cold day.
Exactly my thoughts given all of the above I would have deleted the video and started again.

Why? It's clearly light hearted.
It is, but even the title, "ELECTRIC VAN NIGHTMARE" is a bit unfair when it turns out that there was nothing really wrong with the van, it has the limitations that VW are not hiding, such as a low top speed and a low range. You'd know all of these things before you chose to buy the van, surely. The rest of the problems were basically operator error caused by not reading the manual.

It is, but even the title, "ELECTRIC VAN NIGHTMARE" is a bit unfair when it turns out that there was nothing really wrong with the van, it has the limitations that VW are not hiding, such as a low top speed and a low range. You'd know all of these things before you chose to buy the van, surely. The rest of the problems were basically operator error caused by not reading the manual.
RTFM lives!

i have a electric Vauxhall vivaro. Same as the Toyota Nissan ect different badge.
tbh it is a nice van to drive and really quite nippy.
they say 210 miles.
in reality 120 ish

the issues really are the infrastructure. It takes too long to charge even on a fast charge
then finding a place to charge. Always someone else on the charger.
and more importantly you are always looking at the range and wondering if you will make it home.
hoping you don’t get stuck in any traffic jams.

really is a nightmare. I recommend that nobody goes and buys a ev.
you just cannot beat stopping to fill up with diesel.

i have a electric Vauxhall vivaro. Same as the Toyota Nissan ect different badge.
tbh it is a nice van to drive and really quite nippy.
they say 210 miles.
in reality 120 ish

the issues really are the infrastructure. It takes too long to charge even on a fast charge
then finding a place to charge. Always someone else on the charger.
and more importantly you are always looking at the range and wondering if you will make it home.
hoping you don’t get stuck in any traffic jams.

really is a nightmare. I recommend that nobody goes and buys a ev.
you just cannot beat stopping to fill up with diesel.
It's hard to argue with the voice of experience! Hopefully the infrastructure will improve, in a very short space of time we won't have a choice.

Watch any of their YouTube videos and you'll be very quickly reaching for the off button. I find them all infuriating for so many reasons.

My friend had a Tesla which was great, it was advertised as having a 230 mile range and it did around 220.

Then he bought an Audi E-Tron. That was also a great vehicle with an advertised range similar to the Tesla.

ln reality it struggled to better 120 miles. After a few months he rejected it as not for for purpose and got a diesel A6 instead. 550 mile range and fill up anywhere

Back