VW Transporter Electric

Climate change deniers, christ thats all we need on here.
Surveys suggest that about 10% of the UK population are not convinced that man is not the main cause of climate change.
Today is the birthday of 20 T6 Forum members, suggesting that there are thousands of members of the forum.
So yes, there are likely to be hundreds, quietly sticking to their beliefs and not sneeringly insulting people with alternative beliefs.

It’s slow. It’s restricted to 56mph. It’s boring to drive. And on a 6 mile or so test drive I used 15 miles of the range. What’s to like?

Yeah I'm not even sure who it's meant for, seems like a very niche thing. Very local deliveries or some sort of service vehicle at an airport or other large site.

Well, I know one thing following the invention of the catalytic converters. As night follows day, the thieves were right on the mark as soon as there was a market. So I predict, as soon as EV's need replacement batteries. Vehicle battery crime will rise, insurance premiums will rise, there will be a shortage, creating higher demand and prices will rise.
So, who wants to be in the replacement battery business, or the security business to making vehicles less vulnerable. I also see that Shell BP are buying and developing these new batteries. At £10Billion plus a year profit, they can do it. So where was that Shell Electric recharge station located again?

It’s slow. It’s restricted to 56mph. It’s boring to drive. And on a 6 mile or so test drive I used 15 miles of the range. What’s to like?
Doesn't sound good tbh
lt's definitely off my wish list. Still looking at the 150ps diesel.
Configured a Citroen E-Dispatch and with the larger battery it's £8,000 more than a fully loaded Transporter.
lt's just too expensive.

Well, I know one thing following the invention of the catalytic converters. As night follows day, the thieves were right on the mark as soon as there was a market. So I predict, as soon as EV's need replacement batteries. Vehicle battery crime will rise, insurance premiums will rise, there will be a shortage, creating higher demand and prices will rise.
So, who wants to be in the replacement battery business, or the security business to making vehicles less vulnerable. I also see that Shell BP are buying and developing these new batteries. At £10Billion plus a year profit, they can do it. So where was that Shell Electric recharge station located again?
I'd be a bit surprised to see people nicking batteries off driveways like they do catalytic converters. When was the last time you heard of someone getting their engine stolen? A battery swap on an EV isn't like popping some AAs in a torch.

Perhaps manufacturers will/could use technology to match a battery to a vehicle making a stolen battery useless (think of stereo head units).

Perhaps manufacturers will/could use technology to match a battery to a vehicle making a stolen battery useless (think of stereo head units).
Which people have now cracked and can be used in other vehicles. Same would happen to batteries.

l guess it's possible that vehicles would be stolen and then the battery removed and the vehicle dumped.
A bit like the thieves who steal Land Rover Defenders and remove the doors and bonnet, then dump the vehicle.

I'd be a bit surprised to see people nicking batteries off driveways like they do catalytic converters. When was the last time you heard of someone getting their engine stolen? A battery swap on an EV isn't like popping some AAs in a torch.

True enough.

But (and this is true) my neighbour got up one morning to find someone had broken into his run of the mill Toyota Carina and stolen the complete dashboard. Everything had gone, it was just stripped.
How long it took the thieves l have no idea but it must have taken half the night.

Nobody was caught (no CCTV in 1992) and we think it was the taxi drivers who all used this model of car.

But why not just steal the whole car? lt was barely believable, even the Police had never seen anything like it.

Is the time comming when most heavy goods will be put back onto the railways which will use large distribution centres?
There was a suggestion of planning near me, of the old Parkside collery site as one of these depots. It is in an ideal area, adjacent to the M6, A49, Liverpool to Manchester and Warrington rail network so wagons may not need the 500 mile or so from electric power? The locals kicked up a bit of a fuss about it and it went quiet but as we know, rarely do things stay that way and this site hasn't been developed as other old collery sites have in the area?

Is the time comming when most heavy goods will be put back onto the railways which will use large distribution centres?
There was a suggestion of planning near me, of the old Parkside collery site as one of these depots. It is in an ideal area, adjacent to the M6, A49, Liverpool to Manchester and Warrington rail network so wagons may not need the 500 mile or so from electric power? The locals kicked up a bit of a fuss about it and it went quiet but as we know, rarely do things stay that way and this site hasn't been developed as other old collery sites have in the area?
That time was 20 years ago. I worked on a project years ago, where one of the big breweries designed and built a number of trailer units that could go from tractor trailer to the rail yard and almost straight onto a railway buggy, and off they went. It wasn't perfect, but another six months and they'd have cracked it, but..... the RHA stuck their nose in and threw a massive spanner in the works and the whole thing was shelved.

I distinctly remember standing at a rail depot watching one of these trailers being transferred, and chatting with a guy from the railways and he said right then and there, with no change in infrastructure, they could take 50% of the big trucks off the road, and with a few changes, they could take 75% of the trucks off the road. That wouldn't be a bad thing right now.

That time was 20 years ago. I worked on a project years ago, where one of the big breweries designed and built a number of trailer units that could go from tractor trailer to the rail yard and almost straight onto a railway buggy, and off they went. It wasn't perfect, but another six months and they'd have cracked it, but..... the RHA stuck their nose in and threw a massive spanner in the works and the whole thing was shelved.

I distinctly remember standing at a rail depot watching one of these trailers being transferred, and chatting with a guy from the railways and he said right then and there, with no change in infrastructure, they could take 50% of the big trucks off the road, and with a few changes, they could take 75% of the trucks off the road. That wouldn't be a bad thing right now.
Thats very interesting. The RHA are a powerfull body at the moment but things can change. At this moment in time, Europe are saying, due to the massive floods, that things need to change faster, is it another excuse for governments to speed up the change from oil burners?

Thats very interesting. The RHA are a powerfull body at the moment but things can change. At this moment in time, Europe are saying, due to the massive floods, that things need to change faster, is it another excuse for governments to speed up the change from oil burners?
I think coal has long been regarded as one of the dirtiest fuels from a pollution point of view.

The UK has two or three coal fired power stations, all will be decommissioned by 2025.

Germany built it's latest coal power station last summer but plans to shut down all of its coal fired power stations by 2038 at the latest.

I think it will need to be the opposite. Pull into the service station and the depleted standard battery cassette is removed and replaced with a charged / tested unit by a full automated robot taking no longer than it would take to fill with Diesel.
No sitting about waiting for a charge. You may own the vehicle but the battery is leased. Probably the only sure way to ensure that batteries are maintained in a safe condition as EV’s age. The Gov’ can also charge a levy on every battery exchange.
No need to install charging points in every car park and deteriorating batteries can be repaired / recycled before they cause reliability / safety issues.
That doesn’t mean the local scrote can nick your battery.

I think it will need to be the opposite. Pull into the service station and the depleted standard battery cassette is removed and replaced with a charged / tested unit by a full automated robot taking no longer than it would take to fill with Diesel.
No sitting about waiting for a charge. You may own the vehicle but the battery is leased. Probably the only sure way to ensure that batteries are maintained in a safe condition as EV’s age. The Gov’ can also charge a levy on every battery exchange.
No need to install charging points in every car park and deteriorating batteries can be repaired / recycled before they cause reliability / safety issues.
That doesn’t mean the local scrote can nick your battery.
That'd deal with the "range anxiety" issue, one of the biggest issues of EV's IMO.
It'd obviously need a great deal of cooperation and standardisation between manufacturers, which to be fair, they already do in other areas.
Older, less efficient but still functional batteries could even be taken out of circulation and used to store wind generated electricity.

Reactions: DXX
That'd deal with the "range anxiety" issue, one of the biggest issues of EV's IMO.
It'd obviously need a great deal of cooperation and standardisation between manufacturers, which to be fair, they already do in other areas.
Older, less efficient but still functional batteries could even be taken out of circulation and used to store wind generated electricity.
There is already discussion about EV’s powering the grid at night when solar is obviously offline.
Morocco has already proven that solar energy can be stored efficiently

Back