Vw Tow Bar Storage Parts

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
As per the Westfalia detachable tow bar instructions I’ve purchased the polystyrene holder and strap. Holder is 7h0804897a @ £23.06 and strap 7h0867749 @ £23.60.

I have two observations:-

1) the holder is bagged and appears to also contain a strap. Do I need two straps? All I can think of is one to retain the holder to the van and one to retain the tow ball in the holder?

2) How much for a f&@£ing nylon strap and metal clip! :mad:

If you read this and it is confirmed two straps are needed just order a pair of cycling toe straps from ebay < £3 delivered and save £20.60!!!

Now where is the VW parts return process / complaint procedure!

Semi rant over!!

My factory hitch only came with one strap and the foam holder. Not planning on taking mine off though as it protects the bumper.

Not planning on taking mine off though as it protects the bumper

This is actually not good practice. A heavy impact will damage the chassis instead of being absorbed by the bumper crush zones.

The strap fits through the panel behind the holder as well as around the tow ball if that makes sense.

This is actually not good practice. A heavy impact will damage the chassis instead of being absorbed by the bumper crush zones.

Or what you hit gets damaged and saves your bumper, especially low force impacts. High force impacts the body will be toast anyway as there are no rear crumple zones unlike at the front. Medium force impacts then yes, may cause more damage but then if someone runs into the back of me their insurance will be paying out.

Could someone send me a picture of the tow bar holder fitted, i was thinking to get one of these, when i got VW to fit one to the second hand Caravelle I purchase (from them) they went cheap and never fitted this so might bet one, but will make sure not to order the extra strap ;)

Don’t have a picture but can confirm that it’s a bit of moulded polystyrene that is literally double sided taped to the back corner of the van. Mine is off now to fit the carpet and will probably not be going back on. Not pretty or very effective. To be fair that’s on a Kombi not a Caravelle, maybe they have better ones.

Back