VW Bike Rack query - paint work

Tappers

Hi everyone!
There’s a few threads about bike racks, but what I couldn’t find anything on was if people who have them have had any issues with marks on the paintwork where the rubber feet sit? I’m almost certain this is the rack I am going to purchase, but a guy I was talking to “has a friend” who has one and apparently had some issues with markings on the paintwork from it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Depends which one you mean. The Fiamma one we used to use on our barn doors left minor marks, which polished out.
To be honest, anything which touches paint work, which can move, and which can get dirt between it and the paintwork is definitely going to leave a mark of some sort.

Pete

The genuine ones come with clear protection film that you stick on the van at all the contact points to protect the paint.

Hi @Tappers. I have just fitted a VW 4 bike tailgate carrier to our van and, as said above, you get four specifically shaped 3M clear protective films to put on where the rack fits around the tailgate paintwork.

This is the hardest part of installation, but I found it is just a case of measuring as shown in the instructions.

The film is quite thick and fits wider than the rack feet, offering good protection.

The rack is very well made and fits very securely with no movement when loaded or unloaded (as you would expect!).

Worth mentioning, I did get 10% off (without asking!) at my local VW van centre when I got it last week!

image.jpg
The feet only actually touch at the very edge which as @Noddy996 says is protected by the film.

I also agree that the most difficult part of the install is getting stickers on in the correct place. They don’t allow much margin for error especially at the top. Mine are a little out I think as I can’t see the sticker on one side of the mounting! :(

Hi @Tappers. I have just fitted a VW 4 bike tailgate carrier to our van and, as said above, you get four specifically shaped 3M clear protective films to put on where the rack fits around the tailgate paintwork.

This is the hardest part of installation, but I found it is just a case of measuring as shown in the instructions.

The film is quite thick and fits wider than the rack feet, offering good protection.

The rack is very well made and fits very securely with no movement when loaded or unloaded (as you would expect!).

Worth mentioning, I did get 10% off (without asking!) at my local VW van centre when I got it last week!
Thanks @Noddy996 I wasn’t aware of the protective films that come with it, but that makes complete sense

View attachment 72794
The feet only actually touch at the very edge which as @Noddy996 says is protected by the film.

I also agree that the most difficult part of the install is getting stickers on in the correct place. They don’t allow much margin for error especially at the top. Mine are a little out I think as I can’t see the sticker on one side of the mounting! :(
Have you had yours powder coated black, or is it just the angle of the picture you’ve taken?

Yeah powder coated by T5-T6Upgrades
Oh wow. I wasn’t even aware of this company and I’ve just been looking at their racks. Black would look so much better on my van than silver, I just need to see if I can justify the extra money :whistle:

Have you had any issues with it becoming scratched or scuffed from the placing and removal of the bikes? I know that a few people on here have raised that on here, but I think that’s more of a concern rather than from experience.

Yeah, I’ve only used it a couple of times but managed to scratch it first time I used it. It’s not really visible though but more careful now especially with the super sharp pedals on my hybrid! I can handle the odd scratch on the bike loading platform as this can’t be seen when folded but I think it will need redoing after a few years

Hi mate, yep my suspicion is that long term there is a slight risk of minor paint damage even from the vw rack.
What you will find is that over time the protective film stickers move slightly and crease (Assuming you keep rack on all the time). I saw this on my T5 after a several years heavy use, but unfortunately never removed before sale to check if there actually was paint damage underneath.
I’ve only had rack on my T6 for a year and all good so far, keeping it clean will help too I’m sure.
FWIW the racks are just excellent, they mount so securely to the van and hold the bikes securely too.

Are there any racks suitable for use with tailgate spoiler?
As @cgtmiles says only if you’re prepared to modify it. I’ve seen it done on a couple of vans, and it’s really not for me. My van has a spoiler on it currently, and it’s being removed to make way for the rack.
If you don’t want to remove or modify the spoiler, then there are towbar fitted options.

I was thinking about this and wondered whether a nice solution would be to have a removable spoiler. It could be bolted through the tailgate via holes where the rack hangs at the top. Wing nuts would be quick way to fit or remove and the holes would be covered by the rack when it’s fitted.
This idea only applies of course if you don’t keep your rack on the van full time!
Personally I quite like the idea of optional rack or spoiler...so much so I might try it.....

I was thinking about this and wondered whether a nice solution would be to have a removable spoiler. It could be bolted through the tailgate via holes where the rack hangs at the top. Wing nuts would be quick way to fit or remove and the holes would be covered by the rack when it’s fitted.
This idea only applies of course if you don’t keep your rack on the van full time!
Personally I quite like the idea of optional rack or spoiler...so much so I might try it.....
I’d like to see how you get on with that!

No maybe not ... I do have a Thule easy platform which I can put bikes on an or a cargo box .. but if I want too take bikes then I can’t use the cargo box...
I did look into getting one of those for the cargo box and it does work with the vw rack loaded with bikes I believe but you need to bin the spoiler

I did look into getting one of those for the cargo box and it does work with the vw rack loaded with bikes I believe but you need to bin the spoiler
Need to let the dust settle ... just had the spoiler fitted a couple weeks ago after
Lockdown delays at the garage I use for spraying ...herr that must be obeyed would not be happy !,,

Yeah, I have shelved the idea of the cargo box as I would need to get a tow bar, a base and then a box. And I’ve already been told to stop spending money :rolleyes:

Back