Votronic Dc-dc Battery Charger - Compact Design

Sounds like BS to me. Unexpected high voltage from the T6???? What did they design this unit for then?
Having handled one of these and comparing it to the competition it just doesn't feel right. It just feels insubstantial, more like a solar regulator ( which it just happens to also look like). I hope you eventually get resolution, this has been plaguing you for too long.

Sounds like BS to me. Unexpected high voltage from the T6???? What did they design this unit for then?
Having handled one of these and comparing it to the competition it just doesn't feel right. It just feels insubstantial, more like a solar regulator ( which it just happens to also look like). I hope you eventually get resolution, this has been plaguing you for too long.

You might be right, but I think it's a little early to call BS given Votronic are a reputable brand.

The design is certainly more lightweight than the competition, presumably because they've gone for active cooling rather than passive heatsinks. I would prefer a sealed passive design but, when I bought this, there wasn't that much competition out there in terms of the feature set the Votronic unit offered.

I don't understand your point about the comparison to a solar regulator. Surely these units, in essence, are doing the same underlying job as a solar regulator? They are both MPPT type devices that take a variable voltage/current input and transform it into a multi-stage charger output? Why wouldn't the design on devices with similar total wattage devices be similar?

Size for size you would be talking about a ten or fifteen amp solar controller. I get the feeling that this what they did. Update to thirty amps, add a fan. It clearly hasn't worked. I could be totally wrong, just expressing an opinion, not the result of an in depth analysis.

Anyone had any issues with these recently? I've always used CTeks and Victrons but my local converter swears by them and I must admit the size and price is very attractive

Anyone had any issues with these recently? I've always used CTeks and Victrons but my local converter swears by them and I must admit the size and price is very attractive

They had a dodgy batch but mine’s been flawless since they replaced it. I wouldn’t use it somewhere subject to water/dust because it’s not as well sealed as many of the alternatives but, apart from that caveat, it’s a bit of a bargain. I’ve got the solar controller version too and that’s been running flawlessly for four years or so.

They had a dodgy batch but mine’s been flawless since they replaced it. I wouldn’t use it somewhere subject to water/dust because it’s not as well sealed as many of the alternatives but, apart from that caveat, it’s a bit of a bargain. I’ve got the solar controller version too and that’s been running flawlessly for four years or so.
Good to know thanks for coming back to me, one more question...I assume it still needs an ignition live feed from the vehicle fusebox under the gear stick?

Good to know thanks for coming back to me, one more question...I assume it still needs an ignition live feed from the vehicle fusebox under the gear stick?

Yes, mine’s hooked up to the engine run feed because it was already there for the factory leisure battery, ignition live is next best thing.

Yes, mine’s hooked up to the engine run feed because it was already there for the factory leisure battery, ignition live is next best thing.
ok mine's a shuttle so already has the spare 10mm2 cable for the additional battery option from the ebox. So thinking about it I think I have that engine run feed as well :) where does that hook into on the unit itself? I'm guessing the EBL Start In?

IMG_20210211_164445.jpg

ok mine's a shuttle so already has the spare 10mm2 cable for the additional battery option from the ebox. So thinking about it I think I have that engine run feed as well :) where does that hook into on the unit itself? I'm guessing the EBL Start In?

View attachment 103049

I think it’s more likely the one labelled D+ but definitely read the manual! You also have to use the DIP switches to set the battery type.

Back