Victron Orion - Isolated vs Non-Isolated

jaquesdetroit

Evening all...

After lots of going back and forth on my choice of dc-dc charger options for my T6.1 Shuttle, I'm leaning towards the Victron Orion (12/12-30a). However, I'm scratching my head as to why the isolated version is the one most people seem to use in their builds, when a cheaper non-isolated version is also available? I get the idea of an isolated charger being valid in applications where the ground needs to run back to the starter battery due to a lack of a common ground (such as on a boat), but surely in a van, where there is indeed a common ground, what am I missing?

The only other thing I can see is there being a mention of an isolated system reducing interference with mobile phones, sat nav, etc. That being said though, I'm yet to see anyone run a ground back to the starter battery, and theres no suggestion of other devices being effected...

So, is there any real reason as to why I shouldn't save a few quid and buy the non-isolated version???

You can use either.

Isolated version is designed for boats/marine application that don't have a metal chassis as a common ground.

Reactions: mmi
I have an isolated version..

All I done was to ground both NEG cables together to chassis ground at the same point.

Works fine.

Reactions: mmi
more on mine . .

1628432788282.png

+++

Back