WLTP causing delays?

Village

twin turbskies
VIP Member
T6 Guru
so I am expecting to become the proud new owner of T6 kombi 204, or rather I was expecting to have it already, but am being told that the registration is being delayed by the VCA because it is awaiting certification confirming it is exempt under the new WLTP regs.

Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve been told it’s affecting some 400 vans but can’t find anything about it online relating to these current delays. Lots of stuff from last September, but nothing current.

If it’s affecting 400 vans, surely someone else on here is in the same boat?

It’s driving me to distraction not knowing when it’ll be sorted or how longer I have to wait!

What have they told you it would be exempt from? Weren’t there delays like this last year while VW waited for the official rating for each vehicle/engine combination? I don’t think the engines have changed since they last got a WLTP rating, why would they need another one?

They’ve said it’s exempt from the new WLTP regs; all new cars sold since 1 Sept 2019 have to have done the new test but you could make an application for exemption to a pre existing (but unregistered) vehicle

So my understating is that WLTP came in in stages; first applied to all new models and now applies to all new cars. I don’t believe the 204 has WLTP certification

They’ve said it’s exempt from the new WLTP regs; all new cars sold since 1 Sept 2019 have to have done the new test but you could make an application for exemption to a pre existing (but unregistered) vehicle

So my understating is that WLTP came in in stages; first applied to all new models and now applies to all new cars. I don’t believe the 204 has WLTP certification
Interesting. Yes I believe the WLTP certified version is now 199PS, but I thought they’d stopped selling the 204 as a result. Is it because it’s a commercial vehicle?

Yup they stopped making the 204 in favour of the 199, but there were still a load of unregistered 204s post 1 Sept

I don’t believe the 204 has WLTP certification
Seems that the WLTP- certified vans have a different engine. Just stumbled on a panel van... which instead of the old CXEB engine now has a revised one...
CXEC - 146kW 20190911.jpg

Essentially VW have waited to the last minute to certify their engines. My mate in the trade works for another well know German brand and they were certifying their engines 2 years ago to stop any delays...

Essentially VW have waited to the last minute to certify their engines. My mate in the trade works for another well know German brand and they were certifying their engines 2 years ago to stop any delays...
Thanks, but i assume you are talking about new engines certified as being compliant under WLTP? As opposed to old, non-WLTP compliant engines, being certified as exempt under WLTP

Thanks, but i assume you are talking about new engines certified as being compliant under WLTP? As opposed to old, non-WLTP compliant engines, being certified as exempt under WLTP
I'm no expert, my mate just said VW are going to have problems as they've not even started yet!

I also understand that a van is mandatory for wltp, only certain vehicles will be exempt?

I remember a year or two back when this first came in and VW had to remove every Golf bar the R from sale pending WLTP certification

I'm no expert, my mate just said VW are going to have problems as they've not even started yet!

I also understand that a van is mandatory for wltp, only certain vehicles will be exempt?
yes, mandatory for all vehicles but (i am told) there is an exemption for (some?) vehicles in circulation but not registered prior to 1 Sept

Presumably this is the exemption (from your link):

"Derogations are available (valid for registration until 28 February 2021) where the base vehicle meets the old lab test, confusingly known as the NEDC (the “New” European Drive Cycle) and has been derogated by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). For more information on derogations contact VCA or the base vehicle manufacturer."

EDIT: i think this could be it End of Series Derogation Applications

Last edited:
Interesting, so maybe VW are trying to sell their last few vans with the 204 engine before moving to the 199? I'd be surprised if they get away with that seen as they've had a few years to sort the engine?

I believe it is legit, or at least it better be or I'm going to be short of a van and pretty p!ssed off!

Seems like there are two problems then. Trying to get the 205PS exempted from the WLTP and not having codes for the 199PS WLTP compliant engines. Or may be the 205 exemption is holding up the 199s as they are later in the queue. Which ever way. I hope they are all in the country before the 31st. I don't want 10% added on for the WTO tax.

Yup, seems there are two issues on WLTP.

Wouldn't the WTO tax only apply if yours hasn't crossed the boarder by that stage? I don't believe it would need to be registered to cross the boarder, but of course that doesn't mean it necessarily would cross the boarder without the code i suppose.

so I am expecting to become the proud new owner of T6 kombi 204, or rather I was expecting to have it already, but am being told that the registration is being delayed by the VCA because it is awaiting certification confirming it is exempt under the new WLTP regs.

Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve been told it’s affecting some 400 vans but can’t find anything about it online relating to these current delays. Lots of stuff from last September, but nothing current.

If it’s affecting 400 vans, surely someone else on here is in the same boat?

It’s driving me to distraction not knowing when it’ll be sorted or how longer I have to wait!

HI , I too am in the same situation as yourself.
have you had any further information from your dealer ?

HI , I too am in the same situation as yourself.
have you had any further information from your dealer ?
Not really. VW are just blaming the VCA/DVLA for the delays. I'm assured that there is no cause for concern, and that it's just a rubber stamping exercise that's being held up by governmental department. I'm getting pretty hacked off to be honest; i struggle to accept that they cant put a time frame on this

Back