VED changes in April 2017

Had a look and it's going to hit people that normally by 0 or £30 road tax cars. I can see these older ones holding a good price .

I could have sworn my T5.1 Kombi is an M1 type, just checked and it is a N1.

My old Caravelle is a M1 and my Cali Beach is also a M1 so both would have been affected.

Thankfully I can keep to my plan and swap my Kombi for a panel van with the spec I wanted and not
think about the £40k barrier !!

The Kombi T32 is classed as N1 (lower speed limit same as goods vehicle 50/60/70) so if I read it right the tax won't affect N1 vehicles. But the M1 versions of transporter Kombi T30 , caravelle registered after April 1st will be affected.
I presume all T6 panel vans are N1 as they are all 50/60/70 speed limit as a commercial vehicle.

That makes sense then, I checked online my last Kombi which is also a T32.
I presume sales of high spec T30 will plummet in favour of T32, the £40k barrier is so easy to breach.

The vat reclaim is straight forward on a T32 also. So a couple good reasons to upgrade from T30 to T32. Trouble is the T6 M1 banded vehicles that are on order and months away will fall into the M1 new tax rules from 1st April. That will surprise a few for sure.

my accountant told me about this last year (hes a fleet buyer for companies)
its because there were too many low emission cars being bought @ £30 a year etc
my caravelle would be in that higher band ie: £800 for 5 years i think, gosh thats scary
£140 a year is good thou if you buy the right vehicle
it will become a negotiating tool for expensive cars with the £2000 first disc and £450 for another 5 years
£4000 discount will become the starting point for buyers of expensive motors
well i got £5000 off my new caravelle for a cash buy so its easy enough to do

Back