VCDS where to buy?

Ok before I pull the trigger on a £300 bit of kit, can I just check I'm buying the right thing?

This is what I'm looking at Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB package for VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda cars (1996 on, 10 VIN limit)
If you are only going to use on your van and a couple of friends, then you'll be ok with the 10 vehicle licence. If however you may like to assist other forum members for beer tokens etc, then you may want the unlimited version.
I believe from what I have read, that Ross Tech is one of the better ones.

@DaveyB Thanks, I don't think I'll ever get over 10, but if I do then they offer an upgrade to unlimited for £169. They also charge the same to upgrade from 3 to 10 though so 10 seemed the sweet spot.
When you say Ross Tech is one of the best, is there a better one?

Yes that is the one most have on here i think . Works great , updates all included and in a nice box :)

I have been looking at Ross-Tech as well. I have a 205 biturbo 2017 T6 Ross-Tech don't seem to be able to help.
Is there something fundamentally different about this variant. Any help here would be appreciated.

I have been looking at Ross-Tech as well. I have a 205 biturbo 2017 T6 Ross-Tech don't seem to be able to help.
Is there something fundamentally different about this variant. Any help here would be appreciated.
I'm not sure if I understood what you mean. Anyways, T6 204ps engine (CXEB) is supported by VCDS software since April-2017, other modules (transmission, instruments, etc) even before that. I have hooked mine (HEX-V2 USB) quite a few times into one, no problems.

Thanks mmi. I have sent Ross Tech an email asking what they recommend. The answer I got back was they are working on it. HEX V2 USB will look into that. What is this VCDS-Lite for free. Any good?
Many Thanks for your help.

Thanks mmi. I have sent Ross Tech an email asking what they recommend. The answer I got back was they are working on it. HEX V2 USB will look into that. What is this VCDS-Lite for free. Any good?
Many Thanks for your help.
Happy to hear that I was able to help with your question.

VCDS-Lite software is dated back to Nov-2012 so I'm pretty confident it does not fully recognize any of T6 EU6 engines because even the mainstream software VCDS was not "T6 EU6 engine aware" before January-2017. In addition to VCDS-Lite you need to have some "third-party" OBD-interface module to connect. I would guess that standard datasets can be read even from the engine. What are Lite's capabilities are to make adaptations and codings - I don't know.

HEX V2 USB-cable, and WiFi/USB variant HEX-NET, are definitely both safe choices. With WiFi variant people have had some challenges setting up correctly WiFi parameters on their computers firewalls, virus protection, etc, to allow HEX-NET communicate properly (though all of them seem to be resolved by Ross-Tech Forum eventually).

Anyone running VCDS on a Mac? If so does it work in Virtual Box? Don't really want to pay for Parallels just for this as I don't need Windows any more for anything. And I def don't want to have to set up a Windows partition.

I'd question what you intend to do with it and whether you really need VCDS, i.e. for basic customisations (dial sweep, alarm sounds, auto windows, etc) and diagnostics you could get by with Carista (£10 for OBD2 adapter, inclusive of 1 months trail and £40 per annum thereafter if you don't cancel) - works with iOS and Android.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YVHGTBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks I've already got Carista, this is for activating Safelock with Paulys help once I get the new locks in and def needs VCDS. I've already ordered it, just trying to avoid having to buy more software. I'll try it with Virtual Box as it's free and works for most things I've needed Windows virtualisation and then look at alternatives if it doesn't work.

Thanks I've already got Carista, this is for activating Safelock with Paulys help once I get the new locks in and def needs VCDS. I've already ordered it, just trying to avoid having to buy more software. I'll try it with Virtual Box as it's free and works for most things I've needed Windows virtualisation and then look at alternatives if it doesn't work.
Following up my own question, it doesn't appear to work properly with VirtualBox. The software runs fine and it connects but for some reason, after about 30 secs it drops the connection and says USB port is no longer available. Luckily I remembered the old Dell laptop I use for watching videos/tv in the van and it works fine with that.

Following up my own question, it doesn't appear to work properly with VirtualBox. The software runs fine and it connects but for some reason, after about 30 secs it drops the connection and says USB port is no longer available. Luckily I remembered the old Dell laptop I use for watching videos/tv in the van and it works fine with that.
Thanks for letting us know.
That's a kind of strange - I would have expected that it would work just fine because it is "just" a USB-connection and there should be no magic with VirtualBox :unsure:.

Hi Guys.
I would like to buy something like this to do basic customisation, and for backing up the configuration, and seen the VAG disgnostic for around £79.00, what do you think?
What is Clarista?

Regards

Carista will only do “canned” changes read faults etc. But it is great value for what it does.
Proper vcds is more expensive and starts at £225 for hobby use limited to 3 vins.

Carista will only do “canned” changes read faults etc. But it is great value for what it does.
Proper vcds is more expensive and starts at £225 for hobby use limited to 3 vins.

What does "canned" changes mean?
I think £225.00 is a bit too expensive for me right now

Canned = set changes defined by manufacturer
Carista allows you to edit basic settings like setting up central locking behaviour and adjusting dash display etc etc

VCDS is far more powerful and gives you full access to the coding and adaptions of modules but is far more than the average user needs for making minor changes, it allows you to retrofit equipment and code in things like that and can view measuring values/data live while driving for eg throttle position/temperatures/injectors etc etc

Back