Vango Siesta Issue

pjoc

I have a SWB T6. Initially I purchased a Sport Line Canopi awning from Westfields. Naively I sort of assumed that low awnings was the only criteria to consider when purchasing awning. Anyway when I attached there was about 20cm of kador hanging off the end of the remio rail. So obviously no good. So returned to Westfields who accepted return even though their policy seems to be once put up it is a 'second'. So having the remio rail measured this time went for a Vango Siesta. Eventually got around to putting it up. Perfect fit for kador strip, however, when slide the side door back the top edge crashes into the side panel. Not good. So puzzled when I now look closely at the pics in the manual the example of pitching is on a LWB van. Which I could see would work fine. That extra bit of length would not result in door crashing into side panel. Anyway raised this with Vango who stated 'These awnings are designed as universal awnings, therefore there will likely be some areas that are better suited to some vans than others and this needs to be addressed at the point of purchase prior to purchasing the awning.' Obviously this kind of statement is no where to be seen on their website or the website where I purchased the awning. I will pursue the issue both with Vango and Westfields but just curious about other's experience with this model or perhaps a similar issue with other models. I actully like the Vango Siesta awning it is just a shame that it is constructed more to suit LWB rather than SWB vans.

I have a Vango Airbeam Sun Canopy and it’s clearly made for a LWB. I’m going to ask one of my wife’s friends’ who is handy with a sewing machine to narrow the canopy by 20cm a side.

I have a SWB T6. Initially I purchased a Sport Line Canopi awning from Westfields. Naively I sort of assumed that low awnings was the only criteria to consider when purchasing awning. Anyway when I attached there was about 20cm of kador hanging off the end of the remio rail. So obviously no good. So returned to Westfields who accepted return even though their policy seems to be once put up it is a 'second'. So having the remio rail measured this time went for a Vango Siesta. Eventually got around to putting it up. Perfect fit for kador strip, however, when slide the side door back the top edge crashes into the side panel. Not good. So puzzled when I now look closely at the pics in the manual the example of pitching is on a LWB van. Which I could see would work fine. That extra bit of length would not result in door crashing into side panel. Anyway raised this with Vango who stated 'These awnings are designed as universal awnings, therefore there will likely be some areas that are better suited to some vans than others and this needs to be addressed at the point of purchase prior to purchasing the awning.' Obviously this kind of statement is no where to be seen on their website or the website where I purchased the awning. I will pursue the issue both with Vango and Westfields but just curious about other's experience with this model or perhaps a similar issue with other models. I actully like the Vango Siesta awning it is just a shame that it is constructed more to suit LWB rather than SWB vans.

How about if you used a drive a way kit to off-set the connection by say 200 mm or whatever distance is needed so as not to cause the sliding door to crash into the side?

This thread has my interest! I'm about to invest in an awning and the Vango Siesta was the likely purchase... I had also been concerned by the positioning of the awning as regards how the side door opening would interfere. @Zave I'm still not wholly sure what all the bits involved are but...I take from your above comment that the driveaway kit would allow the whole awning to shift over until the awning side was almost at the back end of the van? and thus hopefully prevent the side door interefering with the awning? Any more advice would be gratefully received, in particular, precisely which components you are suggesting may work, I ve got about a fortnight to get this all put into place...no pressure...:(

I take from your above comment that the driveaway kit would allow the whole awning to shift over until the awning side was almost at the back end of the van? and thus hopefully prevent the side door interefering with the awning?
- correct.

This Vango Ellwood is exclusive to Go Outdoors and is exactly the same as the Vango Siesta but cheaper and a different colour https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15909925/vango-elwood-low-van-awning-15909925

So having sold my Vango Hexaway I'm currently toying with a Vango Ellwood for solo trips and a Vango Kela for family trips and shall probably buy for whatever trip comes first (or just wait until next year).

How about if you used a drive a way kit to off-set the connection by say 200 mm or whatever distance is needed so as not to cause the sliding door to crash into the side?
Hi many thanks for suggestion. Returned the Vango Siesta, exchanged for Kampa Dometic Sunshine Air Pro VW. More expensive, but works. Also additional cost of side walls. OK its open at the front so not enclosed, but we really like the openness, i.e. looking out to the hills or sea, feels like you are outside rather than in a plastic bubble. Excellent build and material. Believe it or not, I bought last November but only tried it out last week, because of you know what. You can attach either using pole or kador strip. It is inflatable, dead easy to put up, however noticed that the top of door sort of bashes into inflated tube end at the back next to van, but actually it is easy to simply lift and let door slide under. But a bit of mental synchrony going on here, I thought at the time, if I fitted a drive away strip it would allow the awning to sit away further from the van negating the door issue. Have ordered one, £19. That solution might have worked for the Siesta, but to be honest I love the Kampa Dometic Sunshine Air Pro VW. It is stylish, functional and sturdy (solid as a rock when set up). I have attached photo, I look a bit miserable in the picture only because I was not expecting a picture. You can see at the back on the right hand side the upper door corner has been slid under the inflated tube. The other thing I should note about this awning is the head height. It is like the Albert Hall. Love the way the awning arches up right over the door so stepping out is great.

Untitled.jpeg

Kampa Dometic Sunshine Air Pro VW.

Thanks for responding and giving feedback. That looks like a great quality item, but spendy. For me it would need a front piece and curtains for the sides for privacy during my ablutions.

I understand, horses for courses and all that.... We humans all seem to have different preferences, which, I guess, makes for great diversity. Looking forward to more trips out now. Hope you get what works...

I understand, horses for courses and all that.... We humans all seem to have different preferences, which, I guess, makes for great diversity. Looking forward to more trips out now. Hope you get what works...
We used a similar porch awning when we tent camped, loved the feeling of being outside when sheltered!

Don’t forget to put a pic into the awning gallery, everyone gets pointed there when looking :thumbsup:
Awning Gallery And Poll

I tend to buy my gear specifically from people that know VW’s such as Funky Leisure, you know it’s tried and tested for your particular VW.

Well, rightly or wrongly, I ordered and have received my Vango Elwood.....First trip will be next month, you'll know if it was a pass or fail because if it's a fail there will be an awning in the for sale and wanted!! ;)

p.s. I'm sure it'll be just fine,.....

Well, rightly or wrongly, I ordered and have received my Vango Elwood.....First trip will be next month, you'll know if it was a pass or fail because if it's a fail there will be an awning in the for sale and wanted!! ;)

p.s. I'm sure it'll be just fine,.....

Have you received it yet? any feedback on the product?

Tried my vango kela v last weekend in the rain, the main sitting/sleeping area stayed nice and dry but where it joins to the van, the Walk through bit leaked on the awning side. I think its the stitching around the air beam, I’m hopefully going to wales in a couple of weeks so if it rains I will take some pics, Vango say on other forums the stitching needs to get wet a few times for it to seal properly, I say this is probably a load of old rollox. We will see.

Tried my vango kela v last weekend in the rain, the main sitting/sleeping area stayed nice and dry but where it joins to the van, the Walk through bit leaked on the awning side. I think its the stitching around the air beam, I’m hopefully going to wales in a couple of weeks so if it rains I will take some pics, Vango say on other forums the stitching needs to get wet a few times for it to seal properly, I say this is probably a load of old rollox. We will see.
We have a brand new Kelv V, used for the forst time two weeks ago in horrendus rain but didn't notice any leaks... Will be looking closely next time it's out.

You may find that it’s the kador strip that’s let the water in as that isn’t waterproof.

When the fabric is sewn there will be little holes surrounding where the thread passes through. Once the thread has been wetted several times it will expand and fill the holes but doesn't shrink once the area dries out. You can buy seam sealer which covers the threaded sections but is messy. Next time you use it it should hopefully have sealed

Back