Vango kilda awning feedback wanted

Forrest4799

T6 Pro
Has anybody got a Vango Kilda low drive away awning, they seem to be exclusive to Go outdoors not a bad price or the size.
if so what’s your experience of it, good bad any info would be appreciated.

it looks the same as the vango palm which we have if you can detach the ground sheet i think it a good idea at least you can go on a gravel pitch if the grass is to wet the palm has no ground sheet so we just chuck down a tarp if needed ideal for cooking in and storage and room for a couple of people to sit

Thanks, we only picked our van up the day of lockdown so trying to gauge what size awning would be ideal. Would you recommend this size or if you had to buy a new one would it be bigger or smaller?

The other one we have is a vango galli compact which is larger slightly but there were 2 reasons we changed it and use the palm/Kilda
firstly the palm is half the weight and half the packed size of the GC
secondly the GC tubes run the other way to the palm which makes the door way from the van into it lower which does prove awkward for me being 6'1" and has a built in ground sheet so you need a footprint or tarp underneath to protect the ground sheet
the palm suits us 2 adults for cooking storage and sitting in and only takes 10 minutes to put up

The other one we have is a vango galli compact which is larger slightly but there were 2 reasons we changed it and use the palm/Kilda
firstly the palm is half the weight and half the packed size of the GC
secondly the GC tubes run the other way to the palm which makes the door way from the van into it lower which does prove awkward for me being 6'1" and has a built in ground sheet so you need a footprint or tarp underneath to protect the ground sheet
the palm suits us 2 adults for cooking storage and sitting in and only takes 10 minutes to put up
How does that attach to the van? Cheers

How does that attach to the van? Cheers
@Skyliner33 sorry about the delay it fits with a drive away kit into the wind out awning
if you were confused when i said the tubes run the other way on the palm when you leave the van into it you go through the arch
on the GC the arches run the other way and the door way is as high before the tubes start to curve ill see if I've got a picture its hard to explain

@Skyliner33 sorry about the delay it fits with a drive away kit into the wind out awning
if you were confused when i said the tubes run the other way on the palm when you leave the van into it you go through the arch
on the GC the arches run the other way and the door way is as high before the tubes start to curve ill see if I've got a picture its hard to explain
There is a good video by Attwoolls on the Palm - here

palm.jpg

@Skyliner33 hope this makes sense the yellow arrow is the height of door into awning from the van on a palm in comparison to the green arrow which would be the door height on the galli compact

I have the Vango Kilda Low - seemed well priced, especially currently, and I specifically wanted one with the ability to close a door to hid the compartment between the van and front of the awning.

The challenge I have is it seems incredibly hard to put up. First try today and I just got confused. Anyway, this may be because I was doing it without attaching it to the van as I can't go somewhere to try it currently (not long).

I don't have anyway to connect it though - other than the throw over straps - anyone tried those? I am also on my own, I may have delusions of grandeur of erecting it solo what do people think?

I have the Vango Kilda Low - seemed well priced, especially currently, and I specifically wanted one with the ability to close a door to hid the compartment between the van and front of the awning.

The challenge I have is it seems incredibly hard to put up. First try today and I just got confused. Anyway, this may be because I was doing it without attaching it to the van as I can't go somewhere to try it currently (not long).

I don't have anyway to connect it though - other than the throw over straps - anyone tried those? I am also on my own, I may have delusions of grandeur of erecting it solo what do people think?
i was always dubious of the 10 minutes to pitch claim on the palm but now after a couple of times its doable
1st connect to van
2nd peg down nearest to van
3rd connect and peg 2 straps parallel to van stops drive away kit sliding out of C channel
4th inflate straighten up awning
5th peg out guy lines furthest from van to stand awning up
6th peg out bottom of awning and rest of guy lines
7th Tea and biscuits
this is my method others may do it different

Yeah, I am aware of the video, your description is good to hear. I think the mistake I was making is I decided to have a go at it in the garden and I think it became a lot more awkward due to not being attached to the van. It was just a mass that couldn't be figured out!

Do you manage to put yours up solo?

Purchased the Vango Kilda couple of weeks ago, had a go at connecting to the van and erecting.
For a 1st attempt it was fairly straight forward although I didn’t connect any guy ropes.
Hopefully with practice I’ll get it down to 10 minutes.
Only issue I had was repacking everything back into the storage bag!

F6E2FBD3-D51F-40F7-B6F4-58BCAC038338.jpeg

Purchased the Vango Kilda couple of weeks ago, had a go at connecting to the van and erecting.
For a 1st attempt it was fairly straight forward although I didn’t connect any guy ropes.
Hopefully with practice I’ll get it down to 10 minutes.
Only issue I had was repacking everything back into the storage bag!

View attachment 75082
Hi ..if it helps...it’s a real nightmare trying to put it back in its bag ( especially when it’s got wet ) so we got a “really useful box” just a little bigger and get the whole awning setup in a box.....once on location use box as storage in the awning
ps...ours is a Vango hex

Yeah, I am aware of the video, your description is good to hear. I think the mistake I was making is I decided to have a go at it in the garden and I think it became a lot more awkward due to not being attached to the van. It was just a mass that couldn't be figured out!

Do you manage to put yours up solo?
I have done but it's easier with 2 people I presume the kilda has the over the roof attachments for straps if it has that's what I use to to stop it moving in the C channel they run to the back and front of the van helps in the windy weather

Lack an attachment feature in the van aside I am confident I have made the right choice in terms of size, features and cost...

... I am just practically inept. I literally could not even find the corner points to pin it down.

I am just going to have to cross my fingers it becomes a bit easier if I follow the first step of attaching it to the van - assuming I can find the strap attachments points.

Back