Van Sits High At The Back.

Simon Cooze

Hi. Had my van lowered by main dealer using sport line kit. And it seems to sit higher at the back. Done months ago do not a settling in issue. Most other vans all seem to sit even?!

All the Van's sit higher at the rear with OEM suspension by design.... ready to take a payload and level out.

Mines level......but loaded.

Is yours empty at the rear?

Also how high are we talking?

Got some pics and measurements?.

Try adding a few bricks or sandbags to see what it needs to level out?

What van? T28-T32?

Ahh. Makes sense. It’s a T30, unloaded. When loaded levels out.

I guess a non OEM set of rear springs/shocks to level when unloaded?

most people go for coil-overs / adjustable setups like B14`s etc,

these can be raised/lowered individually to achieve a level stance at a set load in the back.

I've got OEM sportline setup and find the back sits level as i have kit in the back. (when its empty the back will raise up again)

The idea would be that you adjusted your setup to be level for the normal daily drive . . . . meaning from that setpoint the van will either drop down or raise up depending on load.

some people with conversions find the standard T30 will sag at the rear so fit firmer T32 springs, . . . .some people will fit adjustable and raise up the rear.

And some people will fit air-ride suspension..

all depends on what you want to achieve and how deep your pockets are.

If your running empty all the time and the rear is high . . . . . . . . And its really bothering you look at Adjustables.

or you could add a couple of leasure batteries in the rear to drop it?

This is how mine sitts . . . . . T32, sportline springs, some weight in the back.

full?d=1538991556.jpg

@Simon Cooze late finding this post but just wondering what the dealer charged to lower the van with sport line springs and how you find it from standard I’m thinking of doing the same with my Kombi ?
Cheers

Without looking at invoices I couldn’t tell you. However the reason I done it through a dealer was because of warranties etc, I didn’t want to invalidate the warrantee with anything aftermarket on such an expensive Van. But now reading what other people do, in hindsight I probably would’ve done after market. Regarding how I find it? it does look good, and the ride is good as well. Only critique is as in my previous thread it sits slightly higher at the back which I will probably change in the future. Good luck.

@Simon Cooze exact same reason I was thinking of taking mine to the dealer too warranties etc! So many options on lowering it slightly (I don’t want to go massively low just enough so it doesn’t look like it’s on stilts) many thanks for your info, food for thought!

@Simon Cooze late finding this post but just wondering what the dealer charged to lower the van with sport line springs and how you find it from standard I’m thinking of doing the same with my Kombi ?
Cheers
Hi Simon, the sportline springs fitted at VW were approximately £475. The van handles much better than with standard springs. The van has been insulated, carpet lined, windows fitted and a full width seat bed manufactured by RIB. So not sure if van would be sat higher at the back if empty. I have seen many sportline kombis and they also sit level. I am happy with mine. VW do not recommend lowering more than 30mm.

Hope this helps

@Handyman thats great ! I’m not too bothered about being slightly higher at the back once my tools are in the back etc just a mine field of choices with prices that are pretty low to ££££ hard choice to make but I’ve just found out @BognorMotors which is near me do all this kind of stuff so may pop in for a chat with them to review my options.

Back