Van came without a spare wheel!

Wont be a problem...

But keep to the guidelines. . . Short distance, keep speed down..swap back asap.

The implications are extra strain on the gearbox differential, and the TC,ABS wont like it..... but it will get you out of a pickle....

4motion is a bit more tricky......

I would still keep your sealant and compressor in the van incase your spare wheel gets robbed, mine did, assuming you are fitting it u under the van

Hi,
Just read your question on spare wheel for t6 Edition.
In the same situation having just bought a 2018 Edition.
Did the 16” steel fit over front brakes or does it need 17”
Thanks

Wont be a problem...

But keep to the guidelines. . . Short distance, keep speed down..swap back asap.

The implications are extra strain on the gearbox differential, and the TC,ABS wont like it..... but it will get you out of a pickle....

4motion is a bit more tricky......

I'm with Dellmassive on this but a note of caution....
4motion is a lot more tricky!
Using a tyre with different rolling circumference than the others on a haldex controlled AWD system can screw up the AWD system. (technical term!)
Because the rear tyres are rotating at a different speed to the front it causes the ECU to "believe" that either front or rear axle is experiencing wheel spin, so the AWD is activated via the haldex and the transmission is subjected to unnatural forces, sometimes called "wind up,"especially in a high grip situation like tarmac.
I wouldn't risk it, the drivetrain damage could be serious and expensive.
On a 4motion all 4 wheels should always have the same size tyre IMO.

Last edited:
I also have a T6 Edition... also no spare (although DID come with jack / brace!) :unsure: When I had work done at Leighton Vans, they kindly gave me a spare 16" that they had kicking around, with a decent / basically new tyre on it. I've had that in the back of my van for over a year. I recently bought @Shaun Witts old carrier (thanks Shaun). Recently, when having some work done by @Absolut5, Jason VERY kindly ordered me a hinge pin from TPS and fitted the wheel under the van for me! Nice to have that sorted and not longer in the back of the van!! (I didn't check if the 16" would fit over my front brakes though!) :oops:

I also have fitted a carrier with a 16inch spare for my Edition but also not tried to see if it fits the front. I have decided that in a worst case scenario I will just swap a rear to the front and put the spare on the rear as I know that will work.

I'm with Dellmassive on this but a note of caution....
4motion is a lot more tricky!
Using a tyre with different rolling circumference than the others on a haldex controlled AWD system can screw up the AWD system. (technical term!)
Because the rear tyres are rotating at a different speed to the front it causes the ECU to "believe" that either front or rear axle is experiencing wheel spin, so the AWD is activated via the haldex and the transmission is subjected to unnatural forces, sometimes called "wind up,"especially in a high grip situation like tarmac.
I wouldn't risk it, the drivetrain damage could be serious and expensive.
On a 4motion all 4 wheels should always have the same size tyre IMO.
Would driving on a spare that’s the same diameter but a different width also be a problem for the AWD system? My van didn’t come with a spare also, I had new wheels and AT tyres fitted 245/65/17 and was thinking of putting a 215/65/17 on a spare and getting a cradle to get me out of a jam if I do get a puncture. Any advice would be appreciated

Would driving on a spare that’s the same diameter but a different width also be a problem for the AWD system? My van didn’t come with a spare also, I had new wheels and AT tyres fitted 245/65/17 and was thinking of putting a 215/65/17 on a spare and getting a cradle to get me out of a jam if I do get a puncture. Any advice would be appreciated
Although the wheel is the same diameter, with the narrower tyre the rolling circumference of the 215 is 5.2% less that the 245 because the profile (65) is a proportion of the width/diameter.
There’s plenty of discussion above about whether that difference is ok as an emergency short term solution, but not in a 4motion.

Although the wheel is the same diameter, with the narrower tyre the rolling circumference of the 215 is 5.2% less that the 245 because the profile (65) is a proportion of the width/diameter.
There’s plenty of discussion above about whether that difference is ok as an emergency short term solution, but not in a 4motion.
Ok, thanks for the info

So do all the 6.1's that come out of the factory now not have a spare wheel? And if they dont is it just the cradle that is missing? Just getting prepared for when mine does eventually turn up! :rolleyes:
And suppose there is no chance of a 245x65/17 fitting under anyway? :p

Thats odd, it may be an option at ordering to have a spare or not but our Nov.2019 T6 T30 has a spare/ jack etc?

Back