Van battery flat from being stood. Voltages and charging ideas?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So, first off, my main van battery was changed under warranty at the end of last year as the moll was faulty. So the battery fitted now is only a few months old and a varta I believe.

I came to start the van last week and it was flat, dead as a dodo.
Called out vw assist and he said it's because its been stood and had only done some very short journeys previous to that (ie. 1.5 mile nipping to the shops etc). Now the van had only stood for maybe 10 days max, surely it should last longer than that?

Anyway, we charged it for a little while then left it running for an hour. I've since used it on a trip to work 2 days ago (c. 50 mile round trip) and the voltage this morn is 11.6v, does that sound correct? Even after the run to work it dropped quite quickly whilst on shift to 11.8v, is that the max it puts in to it due to the smart alternator?

Anyway, what worries me is when we (finally) go away in it is that I'll end up with a dead van battery (it's fully converted with leisure battery, c-tek b2b charger and victron 240v charger for when on hook up)?

Is there anyway I can get either the victron to charge the van battery whilst on hook up, or (possibly) a solar panel to the c-tek to charge both the leisure and van batteries at the same time?

Any help and/or advice greatly appreciated.

Had same problem. Voltage does seem to drop quickly for some reason.
Now trying a solar panel on dash plugged into dash power socket. It’s a 30w one and seems to be working.

I have just changed my solar panel controller for two reasons. One, it wasn't a MPPT one and two the new controller has an output to charge the starter battery at 1 amp as it ran flat within much the same timescale. Problem solved, starter is now sitting at 12.6/12.7v which I am happy with whilst it is laid up under the current restrictions.

You could add a mobile panel to the Ctek which would slow charge the starter.? (BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel Charger 50W, 100W, 120W | eBay)

you could add a second small battery charger connected to the starter battery fed from the EHU.? (NOCO GENIUS2UK, 2-Amp Fully-Automatic - NOCO GENIUS2UK, 2-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike )

you could add a change over switch so that the Victron charger will charge the starter battery, then have the Ctek kick in and charge the leisure battery.. (change over switch 1-starter link 2-leisure link)

you could add one of these Votronic 2A trickle charge (diode/resistor based) boxes that combineboth batteries (SLA types only - mot Lifepo4) (VOTRONIC - StandBy Charger)

@travelvolts any ideas?

more info:

Battery Chargers - How I Did It -
Which Jump Starter?
Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -
Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --
Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

Last edited:
I have just changed my solar panel controller for two reasons. One, it wasn't a MPPT one and two the new controller has an output to charge the starter battery at 1 amp as it ran flat within much the same timescale. Problem solved, starter is now sitting at 12.6/12.7v which I am happy with whilst it is laid up under the current restrictions.
whats the solar panel/MPPT connected to?,
how is it charging the starter?
what mppt did you go for?

ok nice . . .

so its a 25A solar MPPT with a @1A second charge for starter battery.

(looks like both starter and Leisure have to be the same type . . . ie SLA)

it looks similar to the Votronic DUO

1587383185342.png
OVERVIEW

Specifications:

Model number:
MPPT5025A-DUO

Maximum charging current:
25A

Weight:
400g

Charge mode:
MPPT

System voltage:
12V

Size:
147 X 74 X 40mm

Battery number:
two battery charging ports

Battery type:
GEL,lead-acid,AGM2,LiFePO4

Indication:
LED lamp indication + External display
Application: for camper,caravan,self-contained solar systems,for boat

Features:

-Switchable characteristic lines of charging for optimum charging of Gel/dryfit/AGM/fleece or acid/lead-acid,as well asLiFePO4 batteries.
-Increased MPPT charging current comparedwith conventional controllers,due to ultramodern controller technology (microprocessor)by 10% to 30%(efficiency>95 %)
-Unattended Charging: Standard protectionagainst overload,overheating,reverse battery and back discharge of the battery(in case of insufficient solar power,such as at twilight,at night etc).
-MPPT controller Two Battery Charging Ports: Automaticcharging of the main battery or board battery (Board I): Support charging and trickle charging (max.1 A) of the vehicle's starter battery (Start II) with overcharge protection
-Overcharge protection: Reduction of thecharging current of the battery in case of excessive solar power and full battery.Immediate recharging in case ofpower consumption to ensure always the best possible charging state of the battery.

Package included:

-1 XSolar Panel Battery Charge Controller

1587383212324.png

looks like they do a bluetooth module too . . .

1587383494115.png

I've added it to the list : Solar Pwm & Mppt Controllers - How I Done It -

Thanks for the replies. Some info to digest.

Does the 11.8v sound about right?

I've just disconnected the victron from the leisure battery and put it on the van/starter battery for today using the second lead/extension with crocodile clips. Now I've put them straight onto the battery + and - , is that a no no for the negative and should I find a chassis earth somewhere (leads are very short though)?

Cheers.

chassis earth for charging . . .

across battery only in an emergency jump-start.

mine lasts for at least a month with no problems at all so far. camper was laid up in storage over winter..and of course hasn't been properly used since. have given it 3 runs since december

chassis earth for charging . . .

across battery only in an emergency jump-start.

Cheers.

Is there a point local to the battery? Will prob have to make some longer leads up if not.

Does the 11.8v sound about right?

It sounds a little bit on the low side to me.... Mine sits at 12.4-12.5V

Do you have any battery monitoring fitted to see if you're suffering from parasitic current draw.... ?

It might be worth monitoring what your battery drain rate is when the van is sat for a few days in case there is an issue...

Cheers.

Is there a point local to the battery? Will prob have to make some longer leads up if not.
I used the bolt that secures the battery clip to the bodywork, front, bottom centre of the battery, there’s also one to the RHS.

It sounds a little bit on the low side to me.... Mine sits at 12.4-12.5V

Do you have any battery monitoring fitted to see if you're suffering from parasitic current draw.... ?

It might be worth monitoring what your battery drain rate is when the van is sat for a few days in case there is an issue...

No monitor/monitoring fitted, I just keep checking with the multimeter. Anything you would recommend?

@j4ckal have a look here :

Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

FYI, id recommend starting with a basic voltage monitor/logger like the BM2 - Quicklynks Battery Monitor BM2 Bluetooth 4.0 Device Car 12V Battery Tester: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

(or CTEK monitor) - CTEK 40-149 Vehicle Battery Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

more good stuff here:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

Back