Using Apple CarPlay via bluetooth

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So my T6 is nearly 5 years old. Pretty much all the time I've had it, Applecar play has been a very unreliable feature of the van. Despite VW looking at it 3 or 4 times and once had its USB port replaced, its still no good. During this period I've had 3 different Ios phones. I've tried numerous cables, OEM and copies - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Currently it'll connect for a few seconds but then disconnect BUT will continue charging the phone

I need this to work so I can use mapping on the screen.

I've always thought that there was a loose connection or poor USB port - so I tried it today with a Samsung phone and the van can't even detect it:(

In my memory I thought I had read about an aftermarket radio that would allow you to connect via blue tooth

Could anybody please point me in the right direction

Thanks

I’m pretty sure they do a dongle for android as well as carplay but it still plug’s in to your usb so if you’ve got a connection problem it may well not help

The connection issue needs resolving before you looks at wireless options.

Could be the cable between the headunit and the USB port or it could be it needs a software update.

The update I can look at sorting remotely. The wiring I'd need the van

The connection issue needs resolving before you looks at wireless options.

Could be the cable between the headunit and the USB port or it could be it needs a software update.

The update I can look at sorting remotely. The wiring I'd need the van

how can I check what version of software is running on the radio ?

hold the menu button
software falls into 2xx, 3xx or 4xx range

Car2Play worked much better wirelessly on my Discover media than plugging in via usb. The usb on my van was hopeless, disconnecting and crashing for fun, but strangely worked fine wirelessly and the C2P dongle.

But the best solution was to get a new audio install with a wireless Kenwood headunit.

I have the same experience as @Insert Coin wired carplay was hopeless, hit the slightest bump in the road and it would disconnect. I tried different phones, leads and they were all the same. I've started using a Car2Play dongle and its not disconnected once.

So I bought this:

Carlinkit 4.0.JPG

Just installed it and been out for a drive = seems to work OK and at the price I paid I'm really happy.

That said VW should have this built in

So I bought this:

View attachment 171219

Just installed it and been out for a drive = seems to work OK and at the price I paid I'm really happy.

That said VW should have this built in
It would be difficult Apple and Google only developed wireless Carplay and Android over the last year or so and the hardware is different. The new T6.1 units have wireless built in

Back