USB dashboard charging?

Abingdonboy

VIP Member
Hi all,

Just received our new t6. It has the two dashboard mounted USB charger points. The USB points don't appear to charge our phones much. Anyone know what spec the sockets are?

I know my phone wants more than my old laptop can supply, but is fine with everything else I have ever used to charge it (used it with multiple chargers).

Have vw specified out of date charging technology in the t6?

Regards,

AB.

Two points? That's one more than mine. My single USB point is quite slow at charging, but does get there eventually. I assume it's one of the lower amperage types. Have you checked to see if it charges another type of device?

Only normally get 2 usbs if you have a vele/Cali or specced the comfort dash on a transporter and have one in the glovebox and one in the centre console ?
Standard USB ratings are 1/2 amp, 1 amp or 2 amp I reckon it's not 2 amp as this is what iPads and tablets normally use and I'm sure my iPad would charge from it

No problems charging ours with that dash one; it's all we use it for.
But charging off the Euro socket (behind the passenger seat) is quicker.

When using cigi lighter port & glove box one as well charging is insufficient while using: google maps on, mobile data, GPS & spotify ). My G4 runs out of juice from 100% to 0 withing 2 hours.

All USB sockets are meant to be 5v, but the amperage can vary quite a lot.

If (like me) you overwork your phone and want to avoid using the batter faster than it charges, it could be worth looking at using a quick charge / fast charge compatable charger in the lighter socket. If you have a compatible device you can charge up to 75% faster. Just make sure you get the right one though, as quick-charge, fast-charging and flash-charge are all different (non compatible!) standards.

The dedicated USB port in my dash cubby is the app connect port that is connected to the head unit, so I'm not supprised its not the fill 2.1A. To charge my iPad I use a USB adapter in the cigar socket in the lower cubby.

If I had specked the second usb port that also would be connected to the head unit so would be the same..

Had a dig around but cant find any specs on the usb outlet/s that give any power figures

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

So to answer some questions, it is a Cali, and I do have App Connect.

Can't believe that I can't charge a mobile phone at more than a snails pace in the front of a new van! I could fit a fag lighter adaptor of course, but don't see why it couldn't be specified from the factory to supply a reasonavble current...

Regards,

AB.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

So to answer some questions, it is a Cali, and I do have App Connect.

Can't believe that I can't charge a mobile phone at more than a snails pace in the front of a new van! I could fit a fag lighter adaptor of course, but don't see why it couldn't be specified from the factory to supply a reasonavble current...

Regards,

AB.
Cali Ocean?
I just use a Euro Adapter plug with two USB ports and stick it in the Euro socket behind the passenger seat. Charges quickly and uses the leisure battery not the driving one.

@Abingdonboy
it is true in my case as well! it is a cock up among many others in T6 (e.g. hard noisy plastics- only when you touch them though!)

Cali Ocean?
I just use a Euro Adapter plug with two USB ports and stick it in the Euro socket behind the passenger seat. Charges quickly and uses the leisure battery not the driving one.
Hi Polzeylad,
Guess that is an idea, thanks.
I don't really want to charge it there, I would be forever leaving the phone in the van. Also a new van shouldn't need adaptors IMHO.
Guess I will just have to live with it.
Regards,
AB.

Hi Polzeylad,
Guess that is an idea, thanks.
I don't really want to charge it there, I would be forever leaving the phone in the van. Also a new van shouldn't need adaptors IMHO.
Guess I will just have to live with it.
Regards,
AB.
The Euro plug thing has always been an oddity of the Cali since it was released ten years ago.

What's more annoying is how we now have to think about charging all the time; a phone should last more than half a day IMO!!

Has any one fixed up Qi wireless charging in the comfort dash center consol yet.

Interesting, the USB in the glovebox always keeps my 6S at 100% while using nav and playing audio, but you're right, I checked and it is a 1A supply

3.0 fast charging is the future, my battery pack charges faster than when plugged in the mains.

Back