USB And Aux Part Numbers For Apple Carplay

Hi all. Long story, short. Seen lots of threads and posts regarding Apple Carplay for the Discovery Media Unit in T6's. Whether it can or cannot added as a retro install. Well, today we have installed it to our 2016 T6. Ordered the activation key (via VW) and programmed the unit online (via Germany) with our Odis system.

Did you have to change the outlet to get CarPlay working ?

Hi all
Got the usb side sorted now
Still need part number for plastic trim and aux parts if any one could help
Thanks

Hi all. Long story, short. Seen lots of threads and posts regarding Apple Carplay for the Discovery Media Unit in T6's. Whether it can or cannot added as a retro install. Well, today we have installed it to our 2016 T6. Ordered the activation key (via VW) and programmed the unit online (via Germany) with our Odis system. You can contact me at Volksworks Ltd. Based in Leeds, West Yorkshire.
www.volksworks.comView attachment 20502

I have a discovery media and I believe all the connectors, so believe I just need the activation key from VW and the unit programming. Can you give me a cost for this please?

Thanks to all for info in this post....
armed with the info I went into local dealers to ask if they could do the job. ( car dealer ) yes.... including usb socket. Yes. I ring to book and confirm. Yes no problem. Van goes in and lots of head scratching. They’ve never done it before...so I talked them through it .. and of course they didn’t have the apple usb socket in stock...arghhhh. Check part number from above on van build and it was already fitted.

armed with the info I went into local dealers to ask if they could do the job. ( car dealer ) yes.... including usb socket. Yes. I ring to book and confirm. Yes no problem. Van goes in and lots of head scratching. They’ve never done it before...so I talked them through it .. and of course they didn’t have the apple usb socket in stock...arghhhh. Check part number from above on van build and it was already fitted.
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the App Connect upgrade?

Mine was having it’s first MOT yesterday so I thought sod it let’s get CarPlay activated.
They were clueless so I showed them this thread and fortunately the technician was very interested to learn as he had been asked in the past (parts and service totally unhelpful saying impossible to do)
He popped out my usb and it was green so he got the code from parts and installed which took 20mins. It all works perfectly.
Out of interest he popped out the usb on some new models and they were black.
So I am poorer but happy.

Anybody have a tip on how to get the USB port/socket out? need to check what colour mine is.

Cheers, I see the clip on the top, so best to go in from? Or bottom or side? I don’t want to hit a hot spot. Will give it a go

Cheers, I see the clip on the top, so best to go in from? Or bottom or side? I don’t want to hit a hot spot. Will give it a go
There is an identical clip at the bottom. I don’t think it matters much but I went in near the top of the right hand side iirc

I have a T6 Caravelle 2016 model. The centre console USB has stopped recognising my iPhone and is not powering the phone or recognising Apple Car play. Not sure if the kids have damaged it (if possible) but it worked fine prior to the weekend.

The other USB point in the glove box powers the phone but does not recognise for apple car play but will connect and play music.

I also swapped out the cable and used a brand new apple cable and cleared out the port of any dust.

I have unconencted car play in the general phone settings, powered off the phone and restarted the van. Still no change.

The fact the the centre console USB is not powering suggests to me a fuse or technical issue and the glove box USB from memory is not the link for car play use, and has never worked for this purpose.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I use it a lot as I prefer the Nav feature and control of the phone.

Cheers

Last edited:
Before doing things to the van electrical wise. Have you tried a different cable?
I have an aftermarket cable which is old and has a tendency to only like being plugged in one way around as silly as it sounds.
Also might be worth cleaning out the phone port as they get gunked up with pocket fluff and don’t read the cable properly

Thanks for the quick response. I should have said I also swapped out the cable and used a brand new apple cable and cleared out the port. I will update the post.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick response. I should have said I also swapped out the cable and used a brand new apple cable and cleared out the port. I will update the post.

Cheers
No worries, wasn’t sure and always good to get the easy (attempts to) fix out the way first!
Sorry I’ve got nothing else to try aha

Back