Under van neon lights

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
The other day someone mentioned neon lights. This got me thinking about putting pink leds under my van. Been trying to work out if they are illegal and a few sites seem to suggest that as long as the lights are not visible or Blue or Green and only give off a glow then they are not. Im thinking subtle not full on fast and furious.

If its down to the police officer who pulls you over and if its a grey area then I think given its not a saxo, wont be driven like I stole it and im in my more mature years then id be confident that I could convince them not to take it further.

Are there any policemen/women on here who can advise?

Last edited:
The other day someone mentioned neon lights. This got me thinking about putting pink leds under my van. Been trying to work out if they are illegal and a few sites seem to suggest that as long as the lights are not visible or Blue or Green and only give off a glow then they are not. Im thinking subtle not full on fast and furious.

If its down to the police officer who pulls you over and if its a grey area then I think given its not a saxo, wont be driven like I stole it and im in my more mature years then id be confident that I could convince them not to take it further.

Are there any policemen/women on here who can advise?
This is a straight copy and paste but it is pretty much what I would have put...

Here's the gist of the Regulations, but we'd recommend having a more thorough look at the whole document yourself to check any exceptions to the rules and make sure your car's neon lights aren't breaking any laws. the official Lighting Regulations are probably the only definitive source.

• No vehicle should be fitted with a lamp which shows a red light to the front
  • No vehicle should be fited with a lamp capable of showing light to rear other than a red light
  • White lights at the front are permitted
  • Only red lights are permitted to be seen from the rear of the vehicle
  • You can't fit green lights to your car at all (green lights may only be fitted to medical practitioners' vehicles)
  • With regard to lights which are not permitted, it makes no difference whether the light is fitted to the inside or the outside of the vehicle, if the light can be seen from the outside. This includes neon lights fitted under or to the side of the vehicle
  • Flashing or rotating lights are prohibited (except for normal indicators, lights on emergency or breakdown vehicles etc.)
  • You MUST NOT be able to see the actual tubes. As long as all you can see is the GLOW then in theory they are not causing a problem if they are not a prohibited colour but you are commiting an offence if the neon strips can be seen and could face a fixed penalty or fine
  • LED lights fitted to windscreen washer jets are generally not permitted, especially if they are any other colour than white or yellow
  • You should be able to switch the lights on and off with an independent switch.
Neon lights must not cause a distraction to yourself or other road users. To be honest, if they're turned on at all it could be said that you're distracting other drivers. Sometimes the police will take different views on the matter depending on how distracting they perceive the situation to be.

If you are stopped by the police, be courteous and polite. If you are asked to switch off the neons we suggest that you do so or they could issue you with an order to remove them. Perhaps the best advice is to only use neon lights when your vehicle is off-road or at least stationary.

For me personally.. assuming all the positioning and colour refs are met then it's about the level of distraction. It's not something I come across that often and to be honest there's bigger fish to fry. As always though you open yourself to risk in the event of a collision... if the lights are on and the other driver claims he was distracted you could find yourself up that famous creek without any propulsion devices..

I suppose as long as I can turn them on and off from inside the vehicle I can choose when and when not to have them on and by meeting the guidelines I have done everything that can reasonably be expected. If stopped I can always maintain 'sorry officer my son must have turned them on' or 'The kids love them when we are doing charity projects in the local community'.

Hopefully some of the projects we have lined up will help it gain notoriety for the right reasons as that's what its all about.

Thanks for your feedback

My side step LEDs that were the source of the original idea, are red and mounted underneath the side steps, not able to be seen by anybody directly, even from a low angle and at distance (only if I've parked on top of them...). Even from the opposite side of the vehicle, due to the construction of the step giving a very healthy all around recess of 60mm.

They also only come on with the door opening, and the light is put on the ground, directly underneath the step, as they are pointed straight down, and doesn't travel out further than the door mirror from the vehicle, with a gradual fade. They go out with the door closing, and are wired to the step lights.

My thoughts are that VW have done the same, but smaller puddles with their white side bar led puddle lights. Neither mine nor VW are used in motion, unless a door comes open during motion.

I have specific reasons to warn approaching motorists that a door is open, and give light to exit by, but don't think that white light on the side would be a good idea, but a red glow serves as a warning, as the interior lights do not show well from behind with the sliding door open.

Interested for your thoughts @Thogg I have reposted a pic of my step lights with the doors on the latch, so open, but no light from the interior showing. I would suggest that this is a better option for @PukkaT6 even if pink is used rather than having them on in motion.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My side step LEDs that were the source of the original idea, are red and mounted underneath the side steps, not able to be seen by anybody directly, even from a low angle and at distance (only if I've parked on top of them...). Even from the opposite side of the vehicle, due to the construction of the step giving a very healthy all around recess of 60mm.

They also only come on with the door opening, and the light is put on the ground, directly underneath the step, as they are pointed straight down, and doesn't travel out further than the door mirror from the vehicle, with a gradual fade. They go out with the door closing, and are wired to the step lights.

My thoughts are that VW have done the same, but smaller puddles with their white side bar led puddle lights. Neither mine nor VW are used in motion, unless a door comes open during motion.

I have specific reasons to warn approaching motorists that a door is open, and give light to exit by, but don't think that white light on the side would be a good idea, but a red glow serves as a warning, as the interior lights do not show well from behind with the sliding door open.

Interested for your thoughts @Thogg I have reposted a pic of my step lights with the doors on the latch, so open, but no light from the interior showing. I would suggest that this is a better option for @PukkaT6 even if pink is used rather than having them on in motion.

View attachment 10304
If they are not used when the vehicle is in motion then no dramas. I think they look bloody ace!

Many thanks for your take on it..:thumbsup: Was concerned, as don't want to cause anyone problems.. Glad you like them & thanks once again :):thumbsup:

I love the look of those Dave and totally understand why you have them.

I did think of a red glow at read and white at front as a back up but now Im full on leading towards under van lights. If they are a reasonable price to install then Im going to go for it as even if camping or stationary they look cool in my opinion. Its not something I have ever done but I have decided this van will be the catalyst for lots of 'Firsts' ha

I
I love the look of those Dave and totally understand why you have them.

I did think of a red glow at read and white at front as a back up but now Im full on leading towards under van lights. If they are a reasonable price to install then Im going to go for it as even if camping or stationary they look cool in my opinion. Its not something I have ever done but I have decided this van will be the catalyst for lots of 'Firsts' ha

If you find pink smd led rope lights, you could put them underneath mounted to the under body plastic, I'd consider putting them in u section ally, and mount this u section to the plastic.

The purpose of the u section is to avoid the led rope light being visible, you only get the glow, and thereby stay the right side of the regs..

Last edited:
Another thought for you @PukkaT6 would be the fitting of a three way switch to use : on off step , but this might be accidentally knocked or wrongly set to on.

@PukkaT6

Here's a link for the Pink..

I should have been a Poet, but you wouldn't know it..

£7.95 each, without adapter is the option you want

Ultra Bright 5M SMD 3528 LED Strip Tape Ribbon Tape Roll Rope Light Lamp+Adapter

You want two of these to do the sides (1 each side), and I'd cut it in half, as they are thin on the electrics, you can then bare an end from the coating, solder on a link wire and cover with heat shrink to make water proof. This enables you to double it up without breaking the circuit, one points down on the u section, the other points outward from the inner downturn of the u section to give a bit more spread without being directly visible. Get a wide u section.

A set of side bars would help hide this mod, and add to the effect, especially stainless, as they would reflect any glow as well. I needed side steps, and got stainless ones, but these protrude as are a proper step, and this got me thinking about things, resulting in my mod using the LED lights having seen the VW puddle lights.

I am now in the process of adding a mod to the upper step of my side bars in order to light the side bar step for exit at night, I've had a trial run, and just need to get some time etc to add it.

Last edited:
Back