Airbag warning light & unknown wire under seat

gabjam

Hi all,

Had my T6 a month now and it's just been issue after issue, as soon as I get one fixed another crops up. I'm up to £600+ in a month in electricals and repairs since getting it!

The most recent is that the airbag warning light came on just before a trip down to Devon. I used clickmechanic (as most garages in Bristol atm are booked out for weeks) and £55 later a mechanic diagnosed it as being that the van thinks the system that pulls on the seatbelts thinks that the seatbelt tightening mechanism won't work. However, I have 'old style' seatbelts apparently (haphazardly converted by previous owner panel van) so not quite sure what's going on there as they apparently don't have the modern tightening function. While having a cleanout today I noted a connection under the drivers seat appeared to be hanging loose. Would this be related to it? Picture attached!

The reason I'm asking here is because the mechanic is quoting £500 to replace the seatbelt with one I've sourced myself, which I'm not convinced would fix the issue. I've been assured the airbag will function on both passenger and driver side as normal so it's hypothetically safe, however the MOT will not like the warning light.

IMG_20200918_181020.jpg

I can’t help with your specific issue, but did you buy the van from a dealer or was it a private purchase?

Yes.. I took my seats out the other day to do the amp wiring and in the dark! ( should have stopped ) forgot to connect that cable you show.. Started her up the next day and got a ACC error ( diasbled it as well ) and an airbag warning.... looked under the seat nad the wire was not connected.... clicked it and tried again.... ACC back on but the airbag warning still pops up... From the forum I have found that I need to give one of the chaps with the vcds Beer and they can reset the warning light.... I can't go anywhere yet as my daughter had a temp and is off school... much better now but no covid tests!

I can’t help with your specific issue, but did you buy the van from a dealer or was it a private purchase?

It was a private sale, with an incredibly unhelpful seller. I love 99% of the van and am mostly happy with it, but there have been a few issues since owning it.

Yes.. I took my seats out the other day to do the amp wiring and in the dark! ( should have stopped ) forgot to connect that cable you show.. Started her up the next day and got a ACC error ( diasbled it as well ) and an airbag warning.... looked under the seat nad the wire was not connected.... clicked it and tried again.... ACC back on but the airbag warning still pops up... From the forum I have found that I need to give one of the chaps with the vcds Beer and they can reset the warning light.... I can't go anywhere yet as my daughter had a temp and is off school... much better now but no covid tests!

Brilliant thanks, so that may well be related! Glad you managed to fix at least half of the issue!

I've been told its safe to drive...so a re-set may be an option if I can't fiddle it back into position. I'm not convinced it's £500 worth of work! It seems there is a screw on it so it clearly screws into something, but I can't tell what?

The airbag light is a latching alarm, that needs a reset via VCDS/VAGCOM to reset. I'm based in Dorset, but will be in Bridgewater next Thursday, happy to plug in and reset for you if that's local to you. Obvs cost is the standard forum price of a suitable breakfast lager or similar. :D

Brilliant thanks, so that may well be related! Glad you managed to fix at least half of the issue!

I've been told its safe to drive...so a re-set may be an option if I can't fiddle it back into position. I'm not convinced it's £500 worth of work! It seems there is a screw on it so it clearly screws into something, but I can't tell what?
By screw on it , do you mean the black plastic clip on the cabling? This pushes into a little hole in the sheet metal of the underside of the seat.

The airbag plug under seat is yellow. And there is one only if the seat has airbag. If the seat has airbag there is also a tag "AIRBAG" attached high up to the side of backrest - very visible.

The airbag plug under seat is yellow. And there is one only if the seat has airbag. If the seat has airbag there is also a tag "AIRBAG" attached high up to the side of backrest - very visible.
Is that if the seat has an airbag? Not sure mine do... Highlnie t6.1 I have heated seats and on the passenger seat on one cable which I presumed was for the heating pad.

The airbag light is a latching alarm, that needs a reset via VCDS/VAGCOM to reset. I'm based in Dorset, but will be in Bridgewater next Thursday, happy to plug in and reset for you if that's local to you. Obvs cost is the standard forum price of a suitable breakfast lager or similar. :D
That's a great offer thanks man I really appreciate it, however I'll be working all day then and unable to get to Bridgewater :unsure: although I think I know a couple of guys nearby who may be able to do just that! If a reset is all it needs anyway!

By screw on it , do you mean the black plastic clip on the cabling? This pushes into a little hole in the sheet metal of the underside of the seat.
Yes that's the one, I'll have a fumble around and see if I can clip it back in

Correct, only if there is an airbag.
View attachment 85552
Not convinced mine has that either! Mine's a super basic old panel van conversion so I have very much the bare minimum of everything.

A Carista from Amazon is £25. If you buy one and use the 1st month free you can reset the airbag warning light.

I switched on ignition with seats removed and didn't know you shouldn't.

A Carista from Amazon is £25. If you buy one and use the 1st month free you can reset the airbag warning light.

I've heard good things about carista, so that's good to know. In fact, given the number of electrical issues I seem to be having I think it'll be a no-brainer to get one!

Double check the airbag reset as I think you may need the extra money package to do that.

Double check the airbag reset as I think you may need the extra money package to do that.
Yeah I'll go for the free month and then pay the tenner week pass when I need it again. Just bought the unit, seems like a handy thing to have. Wish I'd had it for my old polo now!

Back