Under engine cover replacement after brown trouser moment

nikster

T6 Pro
Hi all.

Have just swapped out my T6 Velle for a T6.1 version - on the drive home from the dealers a metal bucket came loose from a highways maintenance truck and straight at me.

I was on the M3 so was driving at speed - luckily for me and my underpants it dropped in front and went under the van - didnt even touch the lower bumper section - still cant believe how lucky I got there!

Called up the highways agency and gave them the reg of the van as my missus noted it down - but they said it wasn't one of theirs - waste of time following up with the Old Bill me thinks.

It punched a hole in the plastic under engine cover and I've ordered a new one from Ebay - I think it might have added sound insulation but wont know until i crawl under and pull it off.

If so does anyone know if that insulation is fitted in a specifc way or is it just glued to the plastic cover or the like?

Cover I've bought. Under Engine Cover Undertray + Fitting Kit for VW Transporter T6 & Caravelle Van | eBay

And hole and offending weapon bucket attached!

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
Don't know the answer to your question, but do you have dashcam footage of the incident?

Don't know the answer to your question, but do you have dashcam footage of the incident?
Unfortunately not that is the fit out job this weekend as pulled it out of my prev T6 - i literally picked up the keys 1 hr before this happened. And there i was dismissing the Dealers offer of GAP insurance!

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
Very lucky boy could of been a lot worse
Yeah took me a few hrs to lose the shakes when I got home, i was on auto cruise at 70 plus speed of van/bucket coming at me....'wince'.....To add insult to almost injury, when we picked up our T6 Velle a few years back - the same day I was shunted by an old Doris whilst waiting to get onto a roundabout and she wrecked the bumper......maybe I should reflect on my vehicle choices!

Yeah took me a few hrs to lose the shakes when I got home, i was on auto cruise at 70 plus speed of van/bucket coming at me....'wince'.....To add insult to almost injury, when we picked up our T6 Velle a few years back - the same day I was shunted by an old Doris whilst waiting to get onto a roundabout and she wrecked the bumper......maybe I should reflect on my vehicle choices!
Or get somebody else to drive it home for you!

....maybe I should reflect on my vehicle choices!
Or just have tow-bar fitted (and in position) - not quite a forcefield, but it can sway the balance of damage in your favour in the event of a low-speed rear-end shunt!

Or just have tow-bar fitted (and in position) - not quite a forcefield, but it can sway the balance of damage in your favour in the event of a low-speed rear-end shunt!
The 6.1 or 'The Vandalorian' as the kids have named it has a removable tow bar - thats going on this weekend as well for sure. I've ordered a Thule tow bar bike rack and will be selling my previous VW tailgate rack. Heaving up my Ebike covered in filth wasn't the best of fun to be fair. I've also kept hold of the T6 roof rails but undecided as to wether or not I bother re fitting those as we hardly ever put anything on the roof - getting under barriers, car parks etc

Back