Unbearable road noise.

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

Long story short the road noise from my van is unbearable and I'm struggling to understand why and also how to rectify it.

For those of you that don't know my van is a ex panel van converted by Bodens of Shrewsbury. At its last weigh in the kerb weight is about 2.2t as it has all the campervan gear in all the time.

When the van was converted and running on standard suspension with Goodyear Vector 4 seasons the road noise was to be expected for a van, and also the benchmark I'd like to return to.

The van was professionally lowered 50mm last year on the well loved Koni sport shocks and H&R Springs. The tyre/wheels remained the same and so did the noise.

As winter came I got in there early and fitted some Falken Euro Winters on 17" GP Steels. The noise was horrific. As you started to nudge over 30mph the hum was noticeable, At 40mp you couldn't have a conversation and at 50mph its was a face squinting journey as you tried to tolerate the noise. I spent my winter at 47mph.

I had 4 wheel alignment done in November and will attach a copy of the results. This made the slightest of difference but that may just been wishful thinking.

During the January MOT and Service I mentioned the noise issues, the garage reported no issues or concerns.

Spring arrived and I've fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Cargo with a noise class of 70db onto my original set of DPs. This did reduce the noise, maybe by about 30% but the noise is still unpleasant. I did get the wheels guys to have a look around but they also reported no issues. A free app on the phone gave an average in-cab reading of 87db with a max of 95db. This was taken on a straight section of road at 45mph. The road surface isn't the issue.

So…. I'd like, if possible, a few ideas or avenues to look down to see why I have this tyre drone/hum issue.

Is it possible the geometry of the lowered van is the cause and the only solution is the raise it back up?

I'd struggle to sell the van currently as any test drive would lead to further questions but this noise is about to break me. I'd fit H4s if that got rid of the noise.

Any ideas guys?

Attachments

• T6 Wheel Alignment 141120.pdf
    861.9 KB · Views: 70
Based on what you've said it's gotta be your tyres, no?
There was no change in noise after you lowered. Noise became worse once you fitted winters which is to be expected then you've gone back to your DP's with a van tyre. Is the profile on your current tyres the same as the tyres you had on before going to winters?
Maybe you could try lowering your current tyre pressures slightly or get some low noise summer tyres.

DO you know anyone local who you could swapo wheels for half hour or so. Put yours on their van and test the noise in both vans

I’m no expert, but front offside camber and rear camber both sides doesn’t look great. Did they actually alter anything when they did alignment?

simon

You’ve both got valid points and I am also thinking tyres. The current ones fitted are supposed to be low noise tread at 70db.
I can borrow another set of tyres to see if the third set is the charm.
I'm just really struggling to see why I’m having this issue.

I’m no expert, but front offside camber and rear camber both sides doesn’t look great. Did they actually alter anything when they did alignment?

simon
They did say they had made a few adjustments and that there were some that can’t be adjusted.
I think I’ve read on here that is a few things on the rear are set at factory and can’t be adjusted and lowering or raising the van will alter these without the possibility to bring back into spec, I maybe wrong.

Might sound daft...but have you played around with different tyre pressures..I run an empty T32 at 3bar...but I’ve also sound deadened the entire floor and wheel arches....but you’ll always know when driving on old concrete roads :)

Hi All,

Long story short the road noise from my van is unbearable and I'm struggling to understand why and also how to rectify it.

For those of you that don't know my van is a ex panel van converted by Bodens of Shrewsbury. At its last weigh in the kerb weight is about 2.2t as it has all the campervan gear in all the time.

When the van was converted and running on standard suspension with Goodyear Vector 4 seasons the road noise was to be expected for a van, and also the benchmark I'd like to return to.

The van was professionally lowered 50mm last year on the well loved Koni sport shocks and H&R Springs. The tyre/wheels remained the same and so did the noise.

As winter came I got in there early and fitted some Falken Euro Winters on 17" GP Steels. The noise was horrific. As you started to nudge over 30mph the hum was noticeable, At 40mp you couldn't have a conversation and at 50mph its was a face squinting journey as you tried to tolerate the noise. I spent my winter at 47mph.

I had 4 wheel alignment done in November and will attach a copy of the results. This made the slightest of difference but that may just been wishful thinking.

During the January MOT and Service I mentioned the noise issues, the garage reported no issues or concerns.

Spring arrived and I've fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip Cargo with a noise class of 70db onto my original set of DPs. This did reduce the noise, maybe by about 30% but the noise is still unpleasant. I did get the wheels guys to have a look around but they also reported no issues. A free app on the phone gave an average in-cab reading of 87db with a max of 95db. This was taken on a straight section of road at 45mph. The road surface isn't the issue.

So…. I'd like, if possible, a few ideas or avenues to look down to see why I have this tyre drone/hum issue.

Is it possible the geometry of the lowered van is the cause and the only solution is the raise it back up?

I'd struggle to sell the van currently as any test drive would lead to further questions but this noise is about to break me. I'd fit H4s if that got rid of the noise.

Any ideas guys?
Ed. Come and try my 18s if you want running AT3s...probably the noisiest combo but still quiet on mine so should be on yours,??

Are all the wheel bolts locked up....sounds obvious but if only one is out it'll mess things up.

Things like this can be so subjective, have you driven another T6 with similar sized wheels/tyres? Whereabouts are you? There must be other members not too far away.

I'm not a million miles away from you, just outside Craven Arms @Ed Webb. I've got a set of Cavascals with a pair of new Michelins and 11,000 mile Bridgestones on doing nothing in the garage if you'd like to borrow them.

Hi @Ed Webb, I agree with @Sim60 The rear look way out, 1 degree is a lot. Have you noticed any tyre scrubbing or feathering on any of the inside edges?

I also agree with @CarpyT6, if you get it to a garage with a hunters machine and they over-ride the factory settings to no load they should be able to see how far the alignment is actually out. Most reputable garages with a hunters will perform the check free of charge and only charge you for any adjustments required. If you can try and get yourself to tyre medics in Hinckley who sorted out my old T6 when it was tracking to the left (I'd previously been to 3 other garages to solve the issue) and I had them re-adjust it after I'd lowered some more a few months later.

Maybe the trip to tyre medics will solve the problem and be cheaper than buying anymore tyres, if not you will at least know it has been aligned correctly

I've got some cheap ditchfinder tyres on our runabout car and the tread pattern is more like a winter tyre, at slow speeds it sounds like failed wheel bearings and at 30mph it sounds like a diff whine, I bet they'll last for at least 50,000 miles too!

Also, Vertu (South Hereford) are very reasonable at alignment. I had the Scirocco done recently. They charged £100 plus VAT to check and make adjustments. For an 11 year old car, it transformed it.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply with suggestions and offers of borrowing tyres.
My gut feeling is that it’s an alignment issue as two different sets of tyres are currently effected.
I shall take the van for proper alignment and the report back. If that hasn’t worked then I shall look at finding a set of tyres that I can live with.

I have noticed a drumming noise since I put my 18s back on for the summer. Tyres are Bridgestone all season Weather Control A005s. When I took the wheels/ tyres off I marked their original location and when refitting I swapped them front to rear but kept on the same side of the van.

I've just put them back in their original location and the noise has gone.

Ian

I have noticed a drumming noise since I put my 18s back on for the summer. Tyres are Bridgestone all season Weather Control A005s. When I took the wheels/ tyres off I marked their original location and when refitting I swapped them front to rear but kept on the same side of the van.

I've just put them back in their original location and the noise has gone.

Ian
That sounds like it could be due to saw-tooth wear of the tyres

I did notice when swapping the wheels around the all season tyres have much higher wear bars than summer tyres. I assume 1.6mm is still the legal limit whereas the AS tyre bars look more like 3mm.

Back