Unable to screw flooring in to batons

Andy M

So, converting my 2018 T6 SWB panel van with all the usual first time errors! Panels out, windows fitted all round, dodo sound deadening and insulation in, carpet lined all going well. Yah!
And then the floor!
Following threads on here I went away from the insulate and screw straight to the metal approach and sikaflexed batons, dodo two in one sound deadening and insulation over the top and single piece 12mm ply on top. All good so far. Again with the ‘Yah!’ and feeling good with vanlife!
And then you try and secure the floor ply to the Barton’s! I now have 10 different boxes of screws of varying sizes and lengths. The 20mm as advised just didn’t get there and about one in four bit down. Gone to 25mm and probably 50% have bitten. My worry is that I’ll glue down the Altro at som time in the near future after hitting a speed bump too fast the floor ply will separate from the battons! I’m not putting a R&R or RIB bed in so that’s not going to hold it down just kitchen pod and slide out storage bed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tried a different search and found this spot on advice

There are, as they say, a thousand ways to skin a cat - doesn't mean any are straightforward when first tried.....

i drilled holes in the floor, painted the holes then put threaded rivets in, counter sunk screws.

Reactions: DXX
I found that it wasn't the length of screw that was the main solution, but the diameter. I had similar issues in that the dodo mat was causing the screws to pull out of the base ply. I just used wider diameter screws that got a good hold without needing the depth (which you don't have). From memory I think I used 22mm x 4.5mm screws (though I used 12mm ply on top) but try a few and see what responds best. What also helped me was countersinking the screw head by a good few mm as well as piloting. Good luck!

Back