long and short term sub floor and baton queries

ashmul

T6 Pro
Morning folks, I've a few subfloor ponderings. Turning my 6.1 4 motion into expedition hybrid camper.
Would appreciate any red flags or thoughts that spring to mind...

Its going to be more or less the usual

Glued, water resistant coated batons to van shell
Foam block insulation if I can make it thin as possible (its low top and has to be at least a bit winter ready also)
Screwed on, water resistant coated 12 mm subfloor to batons

So my questions are:

Foam block insulation...

can you make it thinner than 25mm?

Floor Batons...

What are peoples thoughts on laying batons horizontally across the van, from side to side, over top of floor ridges, verses laying them flush to the floor in all the natural dip spaces.

(from what I can see for ease of later removal then top of the ridges makes more sense, but the natural dips would allow greater thickness of baton by 9mm for securing fixings later)

Is there a minimum thickness of batons for best securing furniture through subfloor later? I'm assuming the thicker possible the more secure, I'm also assuming that you do secure the cabinets into the batons under the subfloor.

Subfloor

Cut as one full piece or placed in 2 or 3 sections. (its lwb)? Whats the pro and cons, can it easily warp or lift later.

Overall Structural Perspective ...

With my limited knowledge at this stage, I assume I should aim for a combination of securing cabinets to both side walls and floor for most stability.

I'm unsure if I need to consider a bit of give for movement or slight changes in the cabinets over time inside the van as she travels and ages.

I'm hoping her adventures will sometimes be on the bumpy side and I really want to take this into account in the proper way now prepping the base layer.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.36.54.png

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.37.03.png

Put the batons in the dips, glue everything down. If you go over the top of the ridges you are losing more height in the van, and have less glueing surface.

Put the batons in the dips, glue everything down. If you go over the top of the ridges you are losing more height in the van, and have less glueing surface.
not if I use block foam insulation as that will have to sit on top the ridges anyway because of the rigid form that it is. I agree about the less gluing surface though

Have a look at Garnica Ultralight. This is 4.5 mm ply, 9mm foam, 4.5mm ply. Stiff, insulating, lighter than regular ply. I used it on mine, it’s good stuff.

Have a look at Garnica Ultralight. This is 4.5 mm ply, 9mm foam, 4.5mm ply. Stiff, insulating, lighter than regular ply. I used it on mine, it’s good stuff.
wow that does indeed sound super interesting, for sure I'll be checking that out. how long have you had it in yours? I hope its not to fancy a product for the Irish market.

Back