Un-Folding mirrors!

AllDownhill

VIP Member
I always fold up the electric mirrors on my 2018 T6 when I park it outside the house. A couple of times, after a few days of not using it, the mirrors have gone back down on both sides. It's been raining a lot here recently so I wondered if there was something that either happens so that they fold down automatically to prevent the mirrors from filling up with water or if something else less straightforward than that is going on. Any ideas/explanation very welcome, thanks!

It's really odd. It never happened while the Transporter was parked up for weeks at a time during the first lockdown, when the weather was great, or in August/September when it was left unused for a long time, again in the sun. Seems to be allergic to spending days on end going nowhere in the endless rain. I'd be the same!

I read a similar post on Facebook, with someone suggesting that the mirrors unfold periodically to prevent freezing in low temperatures.
I don’t know whether that’s legit, but i can see it making sense.

That doesn’t seem feasible to me, moving the mirrors while possibly frozen could cause more damage than not, and what about if there was no clearance and this caused them to scrape or snag on an object?

Have you possibly accidentally pushed the unlock button in your pocket ?
The van will relock after 30 seconds if no door is open but the mirrors will stay down

Any error messages when scanned with vcds or carista...

Any idea of battery condition especially after extended periods of sat idle....

Yeah and put the key further away from the van when you know your not going to be using it for a while... however the mirrors should only unfold on ignition switch on.. is that normally how they work..?

Yes, normal unlocking when they're folded doesn't make them unfold - needs the key in the ignition to do that. Keys are kept quite far away when not in use.
And I agree that it shouldn't be a cold/wet defence mechanism, for the clearance/safety reasons behind folding them up in the first place. Battery condition is good - gets long drives reasonably often.
Exorcist job, I think - anyone know the error code for 'haunted'!

Maybe its been coded by a member of the secret squirrel club... so as when the rain sensor detects rain the mirrors unfold to stop them filling with water... bit like the secret squirrel code to make your windows close when the rain sensor detects rain..

Trying pouring water over the sensor after its been parked up for a while and see if they unfold ;)

This happened to mine a few weeks ago and a couple of times. Each time at night but hasn’t done it the last two weeks. It was a bit of a cold snap back then. I’ve no idea why it did it.

Thanks, Long tall John. I thought that maybe I'd actually left them down the first time I thought it had happened, but the second time clinched it. It did seem to be at night. I'll pay more attention to the weather if it happens again. As if there weren't already enough bizarre things to contend with in life at the moment!

It was also just after I’d had a service and my DSG was electronically adjusted/coded and I did wonder whether it was something to do with that although I don’t know why it would stop doing it if that was the reason

I've recently seen videos form guy who had managed to catch his van mirrors folding back down in the night using a security camera. so it's definitely a thing that other people have suffered with.

I read a similar post on Facebook, with someone suggesting that the mirrors unfold periodically to prevent freezing in low temperatures.
I don’t know whether that’s legit, but i can see it making sense.
I read that too. A little bit of snot almost came out I laughed so hard at the answer.:p

Back