Tyres And Wheels For A T6

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
My 2018 T28 Highline campervan came with the ‘standard’ Clayton 16” wheels and I know how funny VW can be when it comes to modifications and potentially compromising the warranty. However, I’m interested in improving the cosmetics a bit (which I know are often down to personal opinion!).

My questions are therefore around new wheels only as I don’t really want to think about lowering the van or any other suspension modifications which might impact upon the original warranty which still has nearly two years to run. Also, I don’t want to make the ride and handling of the van any worse – to be honest, this is my first van of any kind for a very long time and I really don’t how good it could be but I certainly don’t expect it to be as good as my other cars (neither of which is a van!). I should therefore be grateful for any advice from you guys who know a lot more than me on what options might be open to me. I thought that I might pick up a set of Devonports but then it occurred that they are perhaps only slightly bigger that what I’ve already got and might not be worth the effort (and expense). I guess I’m really asking what wheel sizes / tyre combinations are available to me without modifying the suspension and would they improve or degrade the current ride and handling. Indeed, is it really worth doing anything about wheels and tyres with tinkering with the suspension at the same time?

Thanks in advance……..

Realistically you just want to look at as many other T6 campervans as you can, preferably in the flesh, to see if you're happy with how yours looks in comparison.

If you think it looks ok then leave it as it is, similarly regarding how a standard T6 handles on the road, again if you're happy with it then leave everything standard and enjoy.

This forum on the other hand will lead you to a darker world of lusting after a van with car like handling and driveability, a world where a van/campervan can hold its own in the cut and thrust of the traffic light grand prix, a world where a utility vehicle becomes an object of desire... sound of needle jumping across vinyl..!

Proper advice should be to drive the van for a while and don't try and throw a shed load more money at it in a mad rush to tart it up, in my case after only a few weeks of driving I knew that the van should be able to go around corners without see sawing and bouncing all over the place so out with the old and in with something better, not new wheels (initially) but new suspension.

I just bought a 68 plated t28 van with still 2 yrs vw guarantee, will the changing of the original wheels from 16" to 18" affect my guarantee?
Any views on this?

I just bought a 68 plated t28 van with still 2 yrs vw guarantee, will the changing of the original wheels from 16" to 18" affect my guarantee?
Any views on this?
Considering VW sell these vans with the option of 18” wheels, I’d say no it would not - provided you kept within the parameters of tyre sizes stated on your door sticker.

Considering VW sell these vans with the option of 18” wheels, I’d say no it would not - provided you kept within the parameters of tyre sizes stated on your door sticker.

And could that be done without any other modifications? Does anybody know how the rides would compare (ie. 16" and 18").

And could that be done without any other modifications?
Does anybody know how the rides would compare (ie. 16" and 18").
I’ve just changed my factory 16” Clayton’s for 18” Sportline wheels. Didn’t need anything else - the studs are the same, spacers aren’t needed and clearance isn’t an issue.
I chose tyres 245/45/18, so they’re not the lowest profile by far of all the options for 18’s.

The 16’s had Goodyear’s on whilst the 18’s have Pirelli tyres.
The ride is the same quality, but the wider 18’s feel more planted.

The sound of the Goodyear’s on A-roads was so loud compared to the Pirelli’s.

Back