Tyres / Alloys - No Clue - Help

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to cars/vans and modifying them in any way - have been trying to learn as much as possible and am just coming on to the wheels and, as I have had a great experience on this forum and with all the posters so far, I thought it might be worth putting this one out there for some advice and possibly some banter :).

My van is a new T6 LWB 4Motion DSG. I am considering adding VB Air, Have considered B14s but want a softer ride and thought what the hell - the wife hasn't asked how much yet, so we are fine!

But now it comes to wheels. Currently it will be supplied with whatever VW do as standard (think 17's on a 4motion) but of course i want it to look cool as well as be practical.

The use of the van will be as the 'main car' for long journeys, camping trips and travelling in Europe. It will be needed to do well on snow and ice and in dodgy fields. Ideally i would only like to have one set of tyres that are good all rounders and all weather.

Colour wise I like the black / dark grey alloys and think that would go well with my indium grey van.

My question is,

1. Given my needs what size alloy/tyre would be best? Have been looking at Cross-Climate by Michelin for the tyre...

I am happy to take all views on this and would welcome being educated!!!

Oh and I am going to get it converted but probably want to get the outside of the van sorted first - or to have at least made all the decisions made.

Many thanks in advance!!

CZ

Last edited:
I've just had 4 235x55x17 Michelin Cross Climate plus fitted to my 204 DSG SWB Kombi. They are comfortable and quiet compared to the shambles of the Jinyu's it came with (I hadn't heard of them either!)
I'm in Glasgow so wanted 1 tyre type for all year as we have a few more sub 7 degree days up here than my favourite place- Cornwall That's about the temperature where winters/cross climates make a difference.
They are not in my opinion however, a snow and ice tyre although they are much better than summers in wintry conditions.
We don't get much snow here otherwise I'd go for summers and proper winters like I used to do with my old Caravelle. I realised that was probably overkill.

If funds allow in the future, I'd have a set of 19's or 20's with summers fitted (and b14's) and stick dedicated winters on the 17's. Long term, this doesn't cost a lot more as you are splitting wear between sets although I may have to adjust the b14's when changing wheels?

Hope this is helpful.

I've just had 4 235x55x17 Michelin Cross Climate plus fitted to my 204 DSG SWB Kombi. They are comfortable and quiet compared to the shambles of the Jinyu's it came with (I hadn't heard of them either!)
I'm in Glasgow so wanted 1 tyre type for all year as we have a few more sub 7 degree days up here than my favourite place- Cornwall That's about the temperature where winters/cross climates make a difference.
They are not in my opinion however, a snow and ice tyre although they are much better than summers in wintry conditions.
We don't get much snow here otherwise I'd go for summers and proper winters like I used to do with my old Caravelle. I realised that was probably overkill.

If funds allow in the future, I'd have a set of 19's or 20's with summers fitted (and b14's) and stick dedicated winters on the 17's. Long term, this doesn't cost a lot more as you are splitting wear between sets although I may have to adjust the b14's when changing wheels?

Hope this is helpful.
Great post, that gives me something to mull over. Thx.

Ha, yes it's terrible not being in the know. Ultimately I want my van yesterday and fully done... but it'll be done when it's done. :).

Just want to make as informed decisions as possible ;)

Ha, yes it's terrible not being in the know. Ultimately I want my van yesterday and fully done... but it'll be done when it's done. :).

Just want to make as informed decisions as possible ;)

Our conversion is booked for September. We are not coping well with the lack of camping. Getting to the point where we might throw an airbed and sleeping bag in the back and just rough it. Obviously, we will take the porta-potti and some powerbanks for the mobiles with us too (we aren't savages).
;)

We are also in the "we want it done now" boat. Husband has banned me from buying anything for Harvey until the conversion is done. Apparently the mini USB Xmas tree was the last straw.
:whistle:

Our conversion is booked for September. We are not coping well with the lack of camping. Getting to the point where we might throw an airbed and sleeping bag in the back and just rough it. Obviously, we will take the porta-potti and some powerbanks for the mobiles with us too (we aren't savages).
;)

We are also in the "we want it done now" boat. Husband has banned me from buying anything for Harvey until the conversion is done. Apparently the mini USB Xmas tree was the last straw.
:whistle:

Your lucky to have your van, mines due September and since getting rid of our SUV we have to pack all our camping gear in our small hatch back- virtually impossible - especially if we want to take the dog...

USB Xmas tree - that's a bit previous :)

Remind me, who do you have your conversion booked in with?

Back