Tyre width + spacer question

Dave F

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I will need new back tyres soon I have 215 Devonports with 30mm spacers on the back and 20 or 25 on the front.
Questions
1, are the alloys the same on 215 and 235 so only difference is the tyres
2, what is the main benefit of having wider tyres
3, if I put 235 tyres on will they stick out to much with the above spacers
4, what are the best tyres to go for I won’t them to be comfortable and quiet as possible
Thanks

146355EE-4BF7-4FC6-BF5C-651E7963E5E1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 235/55/17 fitted to my Devonports, also on a full camper LWB conversion and they are really good. My understanding is that the 235s are an SUV tyre so the side wall is not quite as stiff as the 215 van tyre. No spacers fitted to mine but I quite like the tucked in look and also running B14.

When I originally started my van was fitted with 215s on a 16" wheel and the 235s on the 17" wheel are much better, although I am still on the Bridgestone Taranza and would be interested to know what others recommend in terms of tyres.

I have 235/55/17 fitted to my Devonports, also on a full camper LWB conversion and they are really good. My understanding is that the 235s are an SUV tyre so the side wall is not quite as stiff as the 215 van tyre. No spacers fitted to mine but I quite like the tucked in look and also running B14.

When I originally started my van was fitted with 215s on a 16" wheel and the 235s on the 17" wheel are much better, although I am still on the Bridgestone Taranza and would be interested to know what others recommend in terms of tyres.

I think I will go down the 235 option if I can use the same rims I assume they are the same on both and it’s only the tyres that are different.
I have just had B14s fitted and I love them. I’m still on the fence whether to fit H&R roll bars. Cheers

I think I will go down the 235 option if I can use the same rims I assume they are the same on both and it’s only the tyres that are different.
I have just had B14s fitted and I love them. I’m still on the fence whether to fit H&R roll bars. Cheers
Mine came with 215/60 and I changed to 235/55 when I wanted all season tyres. They’re the same wheels, in fact VW put either on and it’s pot luck what yours came with. No effect on handling and no real noticeable difference in appearance.

I have only recently had B14s fitted but had H&R anti roll bars fitted at the same time. The van is a pleasure to drive now.

I have only recently had B14s fitted but had H&R anti roll bars fitted at the same time. The van is a pleasure to drive now.
I don’t suppose there will be a big difference in tyre cost from 215 to 235.

Mine came with 215/60 and I changed to 235/55 when I wanted all season tyres. They’re the same wheels, in fact VW put either on and it’s pot luck what yours came with. No effect on handling and no real noticeable difference in appearance.
i see that you went from 60 to 55 is that a choice you made or is that just the size they come in.

i see that you went from 60 to 55 is that a choice you made or is that just the size they come in.
It’s the size they come in, but the reduced height ratio bring it closer to the original rolling diameter. It’s also a size i noticed VW had used on some vans. They’re Michelin Cross Climates.

I will need new back tyres soon I have 215 Devonports with 30mm spacers on the back and 20 or 25 on the front.
Questions
1, are the alloys the same on 215 and 235 so only difference is the tyres
2, what is the main benefit of having wider tyres
3, if I put 235 tyres on will they stick out to much with the above spacers
4, what are the best tyres to go for I won’t them to be comfortable and quiet as possible
Thanks

View attachment 42143
In a month I have a Kombi edition coming with 235s on I will be replacing these with 235 all seasons so they will be basically brand new /only have delivery mileage...all 4 will be for sale as a package but it may be about 6weeks before there available...my build week is next week

It’s the size they come in, but the reduced height ratio bring it closer to the original rolling diameter. It’s also a size i noticed VW had used on some vans. They’re Michelin Cross Climates.
In a month I have a Kombi edition coming with 235s on I will be replacing these with 235 all seasons so they will be basically brand new /only have delivery mileage...all 4 will be for sale as a package but it may be about 6weeks before there available...my build week is next week
that will be ok as I still have life left in the back tyres i just wonted it done before a big trip to Austria.
Can you PM me what you won’t for them also your location so I can get a total cost together.
Why are you putting all seasons on?
I normally just go to the tyres dealer and see what they say but decided to do my homework myself first. Cheers

Last edited:
that will be ok as I still have life left in the back tyres i just wonted it done before a big trip to Austria.
Can you PM me what you won’t for them also your location so I can get a total cost together.
I normally just go to the tyres dealer and see what they say but decided to do my homework myself first. Cheers
Will do no clue what price I should ask don’t know what they go for??
I’m getting the 4 seasons 235s because I need a set for the alps every winter.
I also have a set of 17” steels and center caps as new with cargo vectors all season on ....these are 215/60/17..
these will also be for sale at some point after the new van comes..... I run 20s in summer and the edition wheels with 235s will be my winters .
had them on my California and was pretty impressed how good they are in the snow.also.I need to make some room ...I just want to have one set of wheels in storage ...

Last edited:
Will do no clue what price I should ask don’t know what they go for??
I’m getting the 4 seasons 235s because I need a set for the alps every winter.
I also have a set of 17” steels and center caps as new with cargo vectors all season on ....these are 215/60/17..
these will also be for sale at some point after the new van comes..... I run 20s in summer and the edition wheels with 235s will be my winters .
had them on my California and was pretty impressed how good they are in the snow.also.I need to make some room ...I just want to have one set of wheels in storage ...
Just to confirm it’s the new 235 /17 that you are selling and it’s tyres only?.
Do you know exactly what they are ie brand exact size and rating I have a T30

Just to confirm it’s the new 235 /17 that you are selling and it’s tyres only?.
Do you know exactly what they are ie brand exact size and rating I have a T30
Hi Dave
Yes it will be the just the tyres 235s that come on my new edition when it arrives.its also a t30 there 235/55/17s that’s all I can tell you...I don’t know what make yet because the vans build week is This Monday coming, it could be 6weeks before it arrives. As I said above,I also have a full set of 17”steels removed from a delivery vehicle that I have never used there in storage .these are 4season vectors from memory but there 215/60/17s....my plan is to sell these complete sell the 235 standard tyres off the new edition Kombi and buy 235 all seasons for it .hope this makes sense...

I put them on a year ago. Great in the summer, great in the winter and great in the mud, best tyres I've ever had.

Hi Dave
Yes it will be the just the tyres 235s that come on my new edition when it arrives.its also a t30 there 235/55/17s that’s all I can tell you...I don’t know what make yet because the vans build week is This Monday coming, it could be 6weeks before it arrives. As I said above,I also have a full set of 17”steels removed from a delivery vehicle that I have never used there in storage .these are 4season vectors from memory but there 215/60/17s....my plan is to sell these complete sell the 235 standard tyres off the new edition Kombi and buy 235 all seasons for it .hope this makes sense...
That sound ok drop me a pm when you have a cost in mind, thanks

That sound ok drop me a pm when you have a cost in mind, thanks
No problem
When the van comes I’ll contact you .
Is that ok ?
It’s about 4to6 weeks before I’ll have it at least then you will know what make tyre they are
Cheers

No problem
When the van comes I’ll contact you .
Is that ok ?
It’s about 4to6 weeks before I’ll have it at least then you will know what make tyre they are
Cheers
thats Fine but if you have or can get cost that you won’t If it’s ok i can say yes and then I will just wait for you to get the van. Thanks

thats Fine but if you have or can get cost that you won’t If it’s ok i can say yes and then I will just wait for you to get the van. Thanks
No worries buddy I’ll look into what there worth ...
Little bit difficult not knowing what make of tyres they are??

I’ll try n find out of the dealer

Back