Tyre Size Dilema

From my door jamb Vel Exec.
These tyres tun at between 9psi F & 12 psi R lower for the same load; this is why VW fit this tyre to the Vel Exec; its more expensive , but the ride is 100% better at the lower pressures.

View attachment 55512
Interesting. Wonder why they have different load ratings for different widths.
Wonder what they are basing this on.

Interesting. Wonder why they have different load ratings for different widths.
Wonder what they are basing this on.
Well, I actually know the answer to this...... But you may not believe me.....
It comes from Newtons 3rd law of motion...... Action and Reaction are equal and opposite.
So if a wheel is carrying load of say 700kg; the the tyre must carry the same load; now if the foot print of the tyre is larger (wider tyre) then the load per unit area is less; so the required pressure in the tyre lower......:confused::eek::geek:
And thats after a few bottles of Birra Moretti

Last edited:
Well, I actually know the answer to this...... But you may not believe me.....
It comes from Newtons 3rd law of motion...... Action and Reaction are equal and opposite.
So if a wheel is carrying load of say 700kg; the the tyre must carry the same load; now if the foot print of the tyre is larger (wider tyre) then the load per unit area is less; so the required pressure in the tyre lower......:confused::eek::geek:
And thats after a few bottles of Birra Moretti
To be fair there are too many variables to put it down to such a simplification. It is far more complicated than that. That argument might work if the van was sat on a cylindrical column of air.

One benefit is you can run the 235/55 at a lower pressure for the same load carrying; this makes a significant difference to improved comfort.
Oh and on other little thing, is pure vanity, (van-it-y....;))
The narrower tyres look absolutely pathetic & pants.........
and the wider tyres look gorgeous; manly; up for it; particularly with spacers......
:slow rofl:
@cy294, I've got a set of 4 * 235/55/17's with delivery milage Goodyear Vector 4-Seasons Gen2, you can have for a steal .

View attachment 55508
Just sent you a PM.

Thought I revisit this thread. In the end I stayed with 215/60/17. I replaced the two tyres that I needed, but now the other pair need replacing.

I am not happy with the ride and find it jumpy. So thinking of 235/55/17 which are slightly wider. Question I have is, can I run one set as 215/60/17 on one axle and the other as 235/55/17 in readiness to have all 235/55/17's if that makes sense?.

yes...as long as the tyre on the same axle are the same size, you can mix it up front to back. i run 245's on the front and 275's on the back

Back