turbo fail.

BADBOSS

I bought this van in 2017 with 35000 miles on
Had issue with my egr and cooler and turbo in Nov 19
Turbo failed again and was replaced June 2020 and was told to keep eye on oil
Was told that its the type of engine and can use upto 1liter every 1000km (666miles)
I was topping up oil as required more a less 1 litre as they speced
Now march 2021van not pulling
Took it to garage and have been told turbo failed due to engine
Now under investigation (10 hours labour)
Any advice?

What engine is it? Will help people with the diagnosis :thumbsup:

Was told that its the type of engine and can use upto 1liter every 1000km (666miles)
If anybody tells you it's normal if your engine uses a litre of oil every 666 miles they're fobbing you off with B.S.
Don't allow them to just fit a new turbo, until somebody finds out why the turbo failed again, or your new turbo won't last very long.
Turbochargers don't fail for no reason, the turbo that has just failed has lasted barely a year because the underlying problem wasn't dealt with last year.

Had it been mapped before you purchased it?

2.0litre automatic
180 bhp
Not been mapped by me
Don't know about b4
Told to top up by vw commercial
Use daily on motorway

:rolleyes:Post a photo of the build label from under the steering column, it will have the engine code.
My van has been at garage since April stripped down
Told egr and cooler failed mechanically
Particles present in engine piston and bores
Warrenty company wanted to inspect the injectors
Injectors were fine
Warrenty company says their 3rd party assessment say that due to elevated temperature there has been expansion to bore and piston and and is not classed as a electric or mechanical breakdown so I will not be covered
Now in the hands of the motor ombudsman
8 months without van

very common issues with the 180, egr disintegrates allowing aluminium particles into bores with the inevitable consequences

very common issues with the 180, egr disintegrates allowing aluminium particles into bores with the inevitable consequences
Only on vans with Rev C EGR unit, see tag, Rev D fixed the issue.
I have a 2016 CFCA with Rev D and have never needed to add oil.

That’s the first time I’ve heard that, where did you find that info’?
I've seen information that rev D is slso affected but too a lesser extent. I csnt find it again now sorry.

Back